• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets/CH-46/Vance AFB Question

Cruzin

Headed to Pensecola next fall after TBS (Hence i'm in the Corps). I am pretty open to all platforms but of course like all students who grew up watching Top Gun I do have an interest in Jets. Scuttlebutt seems to be that 90% of students at API/Primary all want Jets. Is this true? And if so, how hard really is it to get Jets? Is it THAT hard? Like you really have to bunker down have no social life and study your brains out to even have a chance? Or after a while do some students realize that Jets aren't for them and when it comes time to choose your platform opinions are a lot different.

Again, I'll be happy flying anything to Corps lets me. Heck I got into the aviation program because I enjoyed flying around on CH-46's in Iraq (are they even still taking CH-46 pilots or is everyone being pushed into the V-22's?) But still would be interested to know how "impossible" or "possible" Jets are.

Oh - and I heard to avoid Vance AFB like the plague - that it's like TBS for Air Force students. Any insight?

Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Headed to Pensecola next fall after TBS (Hence i'm in the Corps). I am pretty open to all platforms but of course like all students who grew up watching Top Gun I do have an interest in Jets. Scuttlebutt seems to be that 90% of students at API/Primary all want Jets. Is this true? And if so, how hard really is it to get Jets? Is it THAT hard? Like you really have to bunker down have no social life and study your brains out to even have a chance? Or after a while do some students realize that Jets aren't for them and when it comes time to choose your platform opinions are a lot different.

Again, I'll be happy flying anything to Corps lets me. Heck I got into the aviation program because I enjoyed flying around on CH-46's in Iraq (are they even still taking CH-46 pilots or is everyone being pushed into the V-22's?) But still would be interested to know how "impossible" or "possible" Jets are.

Oh - and I heard to avoid Vance AFB like the plague - that it's like TBS for Air Force students. Any insight?

Thanks.

Yes.

You might not think that's a helpful answer, but it is technically correct.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Thanks.

Please ask this question to the CO of MATSG when you attend his welcome aboard brief.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

Thanks.

This is what you just did.

Hey Cruzin, I like the Marine Corps, but it seems to me like everyone in the Marine Corps is wanting to kill someone. You know, I grew up watching platoon, and do have an interest in killing someone. It seems like all my buds in boot camp want to kill someone too. I personally would like to be a sniper, but I'm open to pretty much anything. I wouldn't mind being a journalist either, full metal jacket was cool too . . . So, is it THAT hard to be a sniper? Like, do I have to have really good aim to be one? Or after a while do some people realize they really don't want to kill someone, and think maybe being a journalist is the better path for them. I like to read books, maybe I should look more into the coast guard or the air force?

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I was an IP at Vance a few years ago. The CO of MATSG22 at the time was unhappy with the low success rate of Marine students going through Vance (high attrite rates, low NSS, etc). It seemed that Vance's bad reputation led to it being the last choice Primary location among TBS grads. He instituted a "quality spread" of sorts which translated into sending only the top TBS grads to Vance and predictably, they did pretty well. One of my students got something ridiculous like a 66 and picked helos. Our Air Force fighter pilot Wing Commander went through the roof. Don't know if the quality spread is still in effect, but Vance AFB is what it is. Enid America, where the 3.2% alcohol flows and everybody brags about how it only takes them 45 minutes to drive to Stillwater. But damn, the flying is great!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Cruzin, you are getting made fun of because threads like this are kind of a running joke on this site. Tons of new guys come on asking what their chances of getting jets and usually shitting on other platforms in the process.

You don't seem like a dbag from this post, but you can search this site and find better answers to your questions. My short answers: Jets are not some impossible goal. To be eligible to select them you must have at least a 52 NSS at the end of primary. 50 is the statistical average score at the end. Other than that it's a crap shoot because no one knows when the Marines want more or less jet guys any particular week. You will find that guys who want jets are like guys who want infantry at TBS: a whole lot at the beginning, but less when selection rolls around. Some find they will enjoy other things, and some find they just aren't cut out for it.

As for 46's, I bet they will be selecting more for a while but who knows. Wonder about that if you wind up in helo advanced. Vance had a bad rep, and was basically a disciplinary threat for 2nd Lt's in Pensacola when I was there, but I also know guys who went there and it winds up being pretty much the same.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
WTF exactly is that supposed to mean? In what way would JSUPT be like TBS?

The reasoning I heard (right or wrong) was that Marine 2ndLts get hazed enough at TBS, and that the AF does it's hazing at Vance so doing it twice is to be avoided. There may or may not be any truth to this, but I did notice that Marines seem to do their "dumb ensign shit" at TBS whereas ensigns do it in Pcola. Thus getting treated like a child all over again is kind of a bummer.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Vance Sucks, 42% get Jets, thanks for serving with the Marine Corps, we respect you guys...
'Nuff said,
Pickle

careerO-3

pilot
Just in case anybody happens upon this thread because they want to know about vance, I will give you my perspective from a navy IP who has been there for a few years. Yes, there is some hazing, 12 hour days, and plenty of AETC gayness to go around. You won't have a personal life there at all. Enid sucks ass. But, you can't help but learn because they force the information down your throat for 12 hours a day. There is always an instructor available to ask for help. When you are pre-solo you can get in the simulator all the time. The t-6 is great. The formation and aerobatics flying are way better than the t-34. Bottom line is every motivated navy and marine student with average hands at Vance I have flown with has done extremely well. Plus, you well get done faster if you want to get out into the fleet and start your career.

81montedriver

pilot

Thanks.

I would disagree. It sucked being the only Marine in my class, but I felt like I was treated just a bit differently since most Air Force instructors were aware of what we do at TBS and knew that we didn't need our hands held like the AF studs. Enid isn't the best place in America, but it's all in how you perceive the experience. Go into it open minded and it will end up being a really great experience.

I'll give you a few reasons why Vance is a good choice for primary:

1. You get through super quick, meaning you have an end date, something Corpus and Whiting do not do.
2. You can start up quickly, meaning you can jump to the head of the line quickly in the 100+ Lt. pool in Pensacola because nobody wants to go.
3. You get to fly a pretty powerful airplane, with less maintenance issues especially with all of the T-34's down for maintenance at the moment.
4. If you have ever wanted to see a tornado, you are guarenteed to see one.

Oh yeh and I'm married too, so they do not exclude sending married guys to Vance either.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
2 things:

1) He didn't TECHNICALLY ask what % gets jets. He was asking if he would still be able to have a social life while studying for Jets.
2) I have a few buddies that went to Enid and had a great time. They said the people that bad mouth Vance are also the ones that never left there house because they were too busy playing XBox and feeling sorry for themselves. They did spend some time driving to Stillwater and to Bricktown in downtown, OKC for parties, but I've spend plenty of time driving to downtown PCola. Hell, I spend 45+ minutes every 2 weeks driving down to the fish house for wingings. Like everything in the military, it's what you make of it.

'Stache

pilot
If you want to fly, it doesn't matter where you go or what you get. The guys that don't eventually fall in love with what they get are the type that won't be happy anywhere. Put the time in when and where it is required and be a grownup. When it comes down to it, just that fact that you are flying aircraft and getting paid to do it will put a smile on your face. Oh, and it beats the hell out of ground-pounding for miles and miles.