• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Rides, Machine Gun Shooting from Helo...Great Midn Summer Cruise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a couple of events since I've been on my 1st Class Cruise.

I was assigned to HS-2 here at North Island and for the past 12 or so days have been on the Lincoln during COMP2X with them. I was able to get several flights with the Falcons and even shoot 200 rounds of .50 cal from one of the Hotels.

You haven't lived until you've shot a machine gun from a helicopter!!!

I also went around to the various fix-winged squadrons and gave them copies of my paperwork, qual sheets, and got seat briefs. When the time was right, the Prowler guys and gals from VAQ-131 gave me a call. Wow! What a kick in the pants that catapult shot was! We danced around in the clouds for a couple of hours and did some exercises with the inert HARM on our wing.

Next up was the Super Hornet ride with the awesome guys at VFA-2. The Bullets were very accomidating to all us Mids...opening up their ready room for us any time and let us hit up the LSO plat a few times as well. The ride of my life...unbelievable. Getting shot of a carrier in the Navy's premier strike fighter was so freaking awesome. We did dry plugs with a KC-10, close formation flying with the CAG and did a little cloud surfing. Best 2 hours of my life! :D

I took plenty of pics and the Navy.mil guys actually want a few to post on the website...so look for those in the coming weeks.

Had plenty of down time (never watched so many freaking movies in my life)...so I made my own music video with footage I took of flight ops and actual flights I went on...pretty good stuff if I do say so myself...even if it is clearly inspired by the "Fighter Fling" videos we all know and love. The only problem is I can't post it to the web until next week when I get off base and back to a faster connection.

I have posted pics on my webshots site...few that they are, enjoy until I can post more w/ a faster connection. Below is a link.

Just click "Summer Cruise w/ HS-2"

http://community.webshots.com/user/jai5w4

For those future summer cruisers out there a couple words of advice you may or may not have already heard.

1. Take a camera and shoot everything. You'll regret not having a camera with you...the Navy opens it's arms to you.

2. 1st Class Midshipman (any Midshipman really) is often joked about as being the "highest rank in the Navy" because everybody wants to show you what they do and show you a good time. Take advantage of this and ask questions.

3. Get as qualed as you can b/f cruise and take copies of the paperwork with you!

4. Be visible on the ship/ around the squadron (this helps get your standing above "Joe Mid who Sleeps all Day")...but don't be the annoying young buck who wants to see and do everything right then and there no matter what is going on around them. Realize the people have a job to do and showing you around takes a back seat to it. You can expect a lot, but don't go overboard....okay...bad choice of words...but you know what i mean! :p

Just wanted to share my story and offer a little advice.

Take it easy and have a good one!

John :icon_smil

First class cruise is a blast, that is, unless you're an infamous Marine Option! Just kidding. But really, I understand what you mean. Oddly enough, freshmen training at CORTRAMID was a blast as well, and even though they held our hands through those four weeks, they did show us a lot of awesome stuff. What am I talking about? Bulldog is going to be awesome in VA in July! Buwahaha...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I'm so jealous. You had one of those "I'm the luckiest guy on earth" cruises. All I got was one stinkin' ride in the backseat of an S-3. How exciting? All we did were CQ practice out in EL Centro. But awesome pictures! Oh yea, my dad served on Abe. I puked in his stateroom during a Dependent Cruise. It was great :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We expect a new cool avatar pic anytime soon...nice pics.
r/
G

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shweet!!!

Glad you had a good time...it's what it's all about!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Glad you had an awesome time! I can't wait till it's my chance to go on cruise!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like you had a great time dude. You have no idea how lucky you are. Most Middies, let alone people, don't get the chance you got there on cruise. Glad you enjoyed it!

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
no sh!t, on my 1c cruise I was on the reagan. during flight deck tests. no a/c rides, 'cept like 5 minutes in the starboard D as a pax. :(

you had an awesome oppertunity compared to your counterparts...

beau

yep, lucky bastard! I got a shore tour like that, but not as awesome. Got a Tomcat Ride, two T-34 hops that I flew 90% of the time and got to fly an H-3 around...including landing and hovering (which I had to say was awesome even as a "JET Guy" now).....and I got to spend a good amount of time in the Sims. And of course Drinking everynight and the beach (plus of the shore cruise).

HAL Pilot said:
Forget the cruise pictures, tell us about her.

That's the Ex I'm having difficulty getting over...thanks! She is everything I ever wanted but wasn't down with the "Navy lifestyle" of me being away all the time. We just broke up...it's been rough...trying not to think about her as I sit here drunk off another night in Ocean Beach/Mission Beach. Thanks!

J :icon_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.