• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Fuel In The Water

Brian Sandlin

They did not mix water and fuel on purpose or you all would have been swimming instead of flying. You might move fuel between fuel tanks and water to water for ballast but never mix the two.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any proof that this was taking place? Or just start rounding up names and begging for statements?
Sorry you're sick, shipmate, but I don't think you're going to find much to further your cause on this site, as it's not really the focus.

Without getting into the specifics, your best bet is probably through an attorney. Absolutely not trying to shoo you away, and I welcome what you might add to the site in broader terms - just trying to shape your expectations.

311junglist

ex ordie
I did get cancer. Is there any way to prove this was happening? or is it just because we say so? and how many we said so does it take to get the VA's attention?
i just found this thread and site because i was looking to see if it was just the big e that had that problem and yes it smelled and tasted like it had jp5 in the water and you can even see like when some kind of chemicals get into water that distinct look like the water had some kind of oily-ish chemical in it. that being said im very sorry you have cancer but i did find something that i think everyone should take a look at if your boat had the same problem i hope this helps it explains what exposure can do to your body and i must say after reading this it sounds exactly like the problems i have with my health today 20 yrs later. was on the big e coming out of the suez canal on 9/11 and turned around back through and started OEF with other ships as well like the GW but once we got back and in dry dock my lpo and lcpo sent me and another dude to the space that was very secure cause if i remember the name right its where we kept the CADs for the bombs so we had to sign out a key from them and they said tested negative for asbestos but as we were cleaning up the lagging we ripped off the walls the safety officer ripped us a new one cause we didnt have proper protection (we had what our lpo gave us a cheap ass dust mask and gloves) and told us it tested positive for asbestos so we explained and he went and confronted them and they straight up lied told him they had no idea we went there. so after that i said fuck the navy. no offense to anyone it was just a bad situation for me and now i do have lung problems and need further testing but dr hasnt ordered it so i know i at least have copd and some type of obstruction. so i feel your pain man. i took an oth after trying to kill myself they wouldnt discharge me for that just added another charge with not going to work for a week or 2 so legal came to me in the brig and told me the navy was 3000 people overmanned and offered me a choice do my 30 days and go back to my command or take an oth and get out. i thought about it for maybe 5 minutes and if they are that fucking careless about our health and lie about it what else will they do to me and took the oth. i do rather miss being at sea though and some of the people i had the honor to serve with and under, like my CO was a great man and went on to be a joint chief of staff but seen him in a documentary about opiods and lost his son i didnt expect to see him in it. sad shit man. but sorry for this long reply but here is that link i promised and i hope it helps some of you. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp121-c1-b.pdf

exNavyOffRec

Well that was painful and unreadable. Someone needs to learn about sentences and punctuation.
you are right, very unreadable.

I didn't not even know this thread existed, but as someone who was responsible for potable water on the CVN's JP is not put in the tanks, there is no piping that would be able to get JP5 in the tanks, the only way is if there was a JP5 spill that covered filled the bilge and it leaked from the tank covers through the gaskets. If that happened our constant testing would find it and then we have to take the tank offline and do a not fun cleaning procedure.

JP5 does have a bad smell to it, just a bit on your clothes and it will permeate everything.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot

I didn't not even know this thread existed, but as someone who was responsible for potable water on the CVN's JP is not put in the tanks, there is no piping that would be able to get JP5 in the tanks, the only way is if there was a JP5 spill that covered filled the bilge and it leaked from the tank covers through the gaskets. If that happened our constant testing would find it and then we have to take the tank offline and do a not fun cleaning procedure.

JP5 does have a bad smell to it, just a bit on your clothes and it will permeate everything.
Almost completely unrelated, but why do so many senior and presumably well-educated officers mispronounce potable?

It's been a long running pet peeve of mine, but one that'll probably never be poked now that I'm a non-deployer.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Almost completely unrelated, but why do so many senior and presumably well-educated officers mispronounce potable?

It's been a long running pet peeve of mine, but one that'll probably never be poked now that I'm a non-deployer.
I've encountered several words that I've never heard or never recall hearing spoken, but have seen written a fair amount. So I can sympathize.

People that haven't heard "potable" probably haven't seen Celebrity Jeopardy though, and that's just sad.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Well, in 1985 I was aboard the Big E when we hit Bishop's Rock in SOCAL near Cortes Bank during REFTRA/ORE (now called COMPTUEX). We had a 60 foot gash running down the starboard side of the ship and enjoyed JP-5 bug juice and JP-5 showers for the remaining month underway. Maybe the Big E never cleaned out the fresh water storage areas....?

Story

exNavyOffRec

Well, in 1985 I was aboard the Big E when we hit Bishop's Rock in SOCAL near Cortes Bank during REFTRA/ORE (now called COMPTUEX). We had a 60 foot gash running down the starboard side of the ship and enjoyed JP-5 bug juice and JP-5 showers for the remaining month underway. Maybe the Big E never cleaned out the fresh water storage areas....?

Story
I had a few friends that were on her when that happened, it was before I knew them.

The potable water tanks are inboard such that if they would have been cut by the rocks the ship probably would have sank, the LST that hit the rocks and did have damage deep enough to rupture some of those tanks ended up having water shoot up through the sounding tubes due to the pressure. The vibrations and shock from the Big E hitting the rock could have caused seals on tank manifolds to leak, if that happened the contamination would have been caught by the weekly water testing by medical.

If any issue is found the tank is taken off line and there is a huge cleanup process, once cleaned the tank would not just have regular amount of calcium hypoclorinate added but it would be what we called the "super" dose, we would have to that when making water less than 25 miles? from land.

My clothes always smelled like JP5 and that is just from being around JP5 when the purple shirts would take samples in the engineroom.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

How many fuel pipes did you have running through potable water tanks? I know it used to be a problem on small boys and fuel would leach out of the fuel pipes into the fresh water system.

Also, any time we had tank work done, the fresh water would have a weird chemical taste to it. The sealant used on the tanks would flavor the water after being freshly applied.