• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jax/Mayport Life

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I've been in Avondale since '93. Old neighborhood developed in the 1920's. Drove to Mayport (40 mins), then stationed at Jax, back to Mayport, finally back to Jax. 12 mins to NAS Jax, no traffic. I walk 300 yards to 6 restaurant/bars. Not sure how I get back.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The Avondale area is awesome, and I think you would really like it JT. That said it would be a hell of a drive during the RAG. If you can I would try to find a place out near Mayport on a month to month, or half year lease, then move over to Avondale / Riverside.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I would not recommend living anywhere near Orange park, or really anything south of NAS Jax unless you enjoy losing your sanity sitting in traffic,

While I agree about that with respect to Blanding Blvd, bad gouge on living down 17. Unless you just hit the lights completely wrong, it takes 15 minutes to get home to Fleming Island

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
For NAS Jax:
If you want an older home in an older neighborhood, then considered Ortega, Avondale, Riverside or San Marco/Miramar (other side of river from NAS Jax).

If you want "old school" Jacksonville (read: Redneck) then consider West of NAS Jax in "West Side".

If you want a newer home, then consider Orange Park (and points south) or Mandarin (and points east)

I know some folks who commuted from Ponte Vedra and that drive sucked most days. I know a couple of folks who lived down by end Doctor's Lake and it was usually not bad.
(One bit of warning about NAS Jax. Learn when the NADEP folks have shift change, you do NOT want to be trying to get onto base during the NADEP 500... Lots of folks trying to get through 2 gates at the same time)

Having made the drive from Jax to Mayport, you can plan on at least 45 minutes (usually closer to an hour) to get from one base to another during the day.
If you are going to the RAG in Mayport but doing your tour at Jax, that's a 10 month to 36 (+) month consideration.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks everyone. Sounds like Hozer has it pretty money. I might rent closer to Mayport and then consider buying my first home closer to NAS Jax once I hit this mythical "fleet" thing everyone keeps talking about.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Avondale is awesome, sad to move out next week (see the Houses for Rent section if you're interested in renting my landlord's house!), especially when you have an ass crack of dawn brief/flight. When I get back from next deployment I'm probably going to get an apartment in 5 Points in Riverside and if I get shore duty here I'm definitely going to buy in Avondale.

At the end of the day though where you live in Jax really comes to personal preference. Right now I'm just speaking to NAS Jax since obviously these commute factors really don't apply to those at Mayport, etc.

Beach- Pros- you're at the beach and the bar scene there. Cons- 45 min commute to base.
Southside- Pros- lots to do, lots of single JOs live there. Cons- not really a lot of character, have to drive pretty much everywhere.
Orange Park- Pros- more family centered, suburbia, better schools in Clay County. Cons- long drive to everywhere, suburbia
Riverside/Avondale- Pros- close to work, awesome area with awesome character, decent bar scene. Cons- if you're looking to buy the homes are old and require much upkeep, rent/housing costs expensive, odds are you won't be living near a bunch of other JOs

MD2NZ

pilot
I tried a few searches, or maybe I'm just being lazy :D.

I selected HSM Jax today out of the HTs (I guess if I selected out of the VTs something would be very very strange. Just looking for some good gouge on where to live, where to drink, where to live and drink...etc. Our FRS is at NS Mayport, then my fleet squadron will be at NAS Jax. Should I live near Mayport for my 13 month FRS and then move, live in the middle?

Move to the beach.......don't even think twice. I moved there kicking and screaming because I was afraid of the commute to NAS. Turned out to be the best QOL I've had in the military. Decent surf, laid back scene, fun boozing. I lived on Jax, Neptune, and Atlantic Beaches. Recommend Neptune or Atlantic. So few military folks live out there. Have no idea why. Mayport folks have no excuse! It was worth the 45-50 minute commute. Car stayed park from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. Skated and beach cruised during the weekend. Be an islander.....don't cross the ditch!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I just checked-in to Mayport and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for living arrangements out by the beach. Also, if anyone is interested in meeting up, I'm happy to buy beer.

MasterBates

Best bet is a condo/apt somewhere between Atlantic and JTB from Florida Ave to the Beachfront.

I'm assuming you came to party, and want a place that will not need maintenance when you are gone.,

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Best bet is a condo/apt somewhere between Atlantic and JTB from Florida Ave to the Beachfront.

I'm assuming you came to party, and want a place that will not need maintenance when you are gone.,

Cool, thank you. I looked at that condo that FlyFastNow posted but it's a little out of my price range for a single 01, and I'm not looking to move in anywhere until I return from deployment sometime this summer. Oh, the joys of meeting a ship that is already underway.