• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jax/Mayport Life

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I tried a few searches, or maybe I'm just being lazy :D.

I selected HSM Jax today out of the HTs (I guess if I selected out of the VTs something would be very very strange. Just looking for some good gouge on where to live, where to drink, where to live and drink...etc. Our FRS is at NS Mayport, then my fleet squadron will be at NAS Jax. Should I live near Mayport for my 13 month FRS and then move, live in the middle?

MasterBates

Just an FYI, the two bases are close enough together that you can't military clause out of your apartment when you PCS.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Distance does not matter for terminations under SCRA - only that you're getting PCS orders. Check out Section 305 - does not mention distance anywhere.

squorch2

pilot
Also, who told you the FRS is 13 months? That's not even close to right.

squorch2

pilot
7-8 months is about right. May be faster with increased aircraft availability rates for the R.

brownshoe

Contributor
I tried a few searches, or maybe I'm just being lazy .

I selected HSM Jax today out of the HTs (I guess if I selected out of the VTs something would be very very strange. Just looking for some good gouge on where to live, where to drink, where to live and drink...etc. Our FRS is at NS Mayport, then my fleet squadron will be at NAS Jax. Should I live near Mayport for my 13 month FRS and then move, live in the middle?
I loved JAX (went to AO “A” school there) great clubs downtown and also on Normandy Boulevard. Why when I was stationed at Cecil… (Oh… wait….):D:D

Steve

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Southside area is pretty central to both. Younger area, good bars, not too far from the beach. Plenty of apartments and cheap condos.

Let me know when you get down here; if I'm not playing in the sandbox, we'll go grab beers. There are a couple of our Hokie brethren running around down here.

phrogpilot73

Distance does not matter for terminations under SCRA - only that you're getting PCS orders. Check out Section 305 - does not mention distance anywhere.
I was surprised to find out that the Navy and the USMC handle PCA/PCS very differently. If I was going from Mayport to JAX, I'd get PCA orders, whereas it looks like the Navy would get PCS orders. So are you still entitled to household goods shipment, even though

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I live in Mandarin (work at Jax) as do several people I know. It is close to Jax without being too far from Mayport. I have some friends who work in Mayport and still live here. I would not recommend living anywhere near Orange park, or really anything south of NAS Jax unless you enjoy losing your sanity sitting in traffic, or probably West of the Buckman (Unless you go north and consider Riverside/Avondale) but thats just me.

MasterBates

I bought in Oceanway because my squadron was supposed to move about halfway through my JO tour.

Up by the airport, it's about 20-25 miles to both bases. Traffic going to JAX is not that bad, Mayport is much better from the north since they opened Wonderwood.