• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January/February 2015 SNA/NFO Board

Can someone clarify what is meant by rolling boards? I always took rolling admissions to mean applications were considered and given a Y/N as they came in, but people also keep talking about a board that meets on a specific date.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Can someone clarify what is meant by rolling boards? I always took rolling admissions to mean applications were considered and given a Y/N as they came in, but people also keep talking about a board that meets on a specific date.
Rolling boards, in this instance, mean that the board will meet whenever they receive enough kits to hold a board, or every 90-120 days, and no later than 120 days. This day counter is from the meeting of the prior board. Your best bet is to get the best kit you can, and submit as soon as you can. I waited several months twice for the boards but the wait time can really vary.

lliesemeyer

Hoping my packet will be up and ready for this board. Taking the ASTB monday, nervous as hell for it. I've got a 3.64 GPA averaged between Community College and Furman University where I am currently a senior econ major. 4 years of varsity lacrosse, 2 at the Division 1 level as team captain and the first player from Hawaii to play college lacrosse. Hopefully those things carry some weight! excited to see how everything goes.

You have to graduate OCS by the age cutoffs. For SNA it is 27 for non-priors, while with prior service, waiverable up to 29. For SNFO it is 27 for non-priors and for priors waiverable up to 31.
As long as you're 27 at commission, you're gravy, right? I'll be 27 at the completion of OCS.

KnightFlight

Rolling boards, in this instance, mean that the board will meet whenever they receive enough kits to hold a board, or every 90-120 days, and no later than 120 days. This day counter is from the meeting of the prior board. Your best bet is to get the best kit you can, and submit as soon as you can. I waited several months twice for the boards but the wait time can really vary.
I'm glad you have migrated to the new board thread even though you're in. Someone answering all the new jacks questions for me is great haha.
Btw that's not a dig at you new guys, trust me you don't want to go through this twice like myself...

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
varlogkern, congrats on beating the clock and getting PR-Y on your second attempt! OCS in 2 days.. good luck!
Thank you sir! It's been a bumpy road so far, and we're just getting started.

As long as you're 27 at commission, you're gravy, right? I'll be 27 at the completion of OCS.
That is correct, as long as you graduate prior to the age cutoff for your designator.

I'm glad you have migrated to the new board thread even though you're in. Someone answering all the new jacks questions for me is great haha.
Btw that's not a dig at you new guys, trust me you don't want to go through this twice like myself...
Happy to help. Now once the thread gets to 80 pages, then you guys can start yelling at the new people for not searching/reading. Haha

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
For pilots, one must be commissioned BY the time he or she turns 27. If you turn 27 two days before you commission, that's a no go. If you graduate one day before your 27th birthday, you're in the clear. As far as my understanding goes, turning 27 at OCS still counts as not making the age cutoff.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For pilots, one must be commissioned BY the time he or she turns 27. If you turn 27 two days before you commission, that's a no go. If you graduate one day before your 27th birthday, you're in the clear. As far as my understanding goes, turning 27 at OCS still counts as not making the age cutoff.

He's correct.

iFly14

pilot
I should be in for this board. I do have facebook, and would jump in on a group if there is one. (I read some of the early posts, but scaned through most of the pages).

SNA/SNFO (really want the SNA, but want to be Naval Officer first)
ASTB: 9/9/9/ 71
Greenville College (Illinois)
B.S. Physics
3.4 GPA
DIII Soccer athlete - 2years
Captian of Reserve team (So. Year)
Proven Leadership at Delta Airlines (current employer)
LORs - Employers, 1- O9 (USN), 1- O6 (USN, soon to retire)
PRK Waiver
Concussion (2008) Waiver
Father- O5
Past USMC OCS experience

Best of luck to everyone, hope you had a good holiday. Look forward to geting to know some of you guys, and hopefully going to OCS and serving with you down the road.

exNavyOffRec

I should be in for this board. I do have facebook, and would jump in on a group if there is one. (I read some of the early posts, but scaned through most of the pages).

B.S. Physics
3.4 GPA
PRK Waiver
Concussion (2008) Waiver
Father- O5
Past USMC OCS experience

Best of luck to everyone, hope you had a good holiday. Look forward to geting to know some of you guys, and hopefully going to OCS and serving with you down the road.

You have outstanding scores, do you already have your PQ letter? If so you should be getting ready for OCS with those scores :D

iFly14

pilot
You have outstanding scores, do you already have your PQ letter? If so you should be getting ready for OCS with those scores :D

Yes, it took some time, there was some confusion related to the USMC OCS experience, but i got the PQ letter from Millington early this month.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Hopefully the board sees it the same way.

I am fortunate to have a foundation in the area commited to helping prepare aspiring officers
( buildwarriors.org ). They have been a large part of my preperation thus far.

mb1685

B.S. Physics
3.4 GPA
PRK Waiver
Concussion (2008) Waiver
Father- O5
Past USMC OCS experience

Whoa, amazing ASTB scores. Got any tips on what to study or any unexpected things that came up on the test? I've been studying nonstop for the past few weeks but I'm always looking for more.

iFly14

pilot
Whoa, amazing ASTB scores. Got any tips on what to study or any unexpected things that came up on the test? I've been studying nonstop for the past few weeks but I'm always looking for more.

To be honest I would studied mostly old, and practice tests i found online for free. I was surprised by how many questions I remembered doing in my practice. With that being said there were not many, if any questions i didn't know how to work. I also had a few FAA PDF's i looked through.

For the Spatial appreciation i would "fly" each problem. Looking at my horizon and inputing the controls to get the desired horizon, then finally considering my direction with relation to the ground. While I had no actual flight time, i do believe my flight simulator addiction helped me out here.

The math and mechanical comprehension were easier for me being a Physics major, it was a lot like classwork for me.

I still have most of my study materials i used on my computer, feel free to PM me and I will pass them along. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can!