• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JANUARY 12, 2002 OCS CLASS!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnum

I thought I would yell out a war cry for my OCS date-3 months to the day and counting.. I would like to use this topic as a point of contact with any aviators attending on this date. A chance for us to make contact and discuss OCS preparations. HOWEVER any input on this topic from past candidates or future candidates are welcome. As well as those who will be attending in OCT/NOV/DEC-to make contacts with while at OCS. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN SELECTED-AS WE WILL SOON HAVE A COMMON GROUND. Some people choose "club med" resorts for their winter getaways-but I think if someone really wants a challenge and really enjoys those "SURVIVIOR" shows, why not attend "CLUB NAVY". LOL.......

INDOC CANDIDATE MAGNUM
"Turn and Burn"
FLY NAVY!!!!!!!

"ITS NOT JUST A JOB-ITS AN ADVENTURE!!!!!"

bpikula

Hey Magnum, I'm in the Jan 12 OCS class as well. I've also got a friend from Kentucky who requested that date. We'll probably show up in P-Cola around the 9th or 10th and stay with some guys we know that are already in API. When it gets closer to Jan we'll have to exchange numbers so I can get in touch with you. It would be nice to meet some of the other officer candidates before indoc week begins.

Dave - I did the math. Unless you roll an ankle or catch the flu (knock on wood), you are going to be a "candy-o" when I show up on 12 JAN 02. If the class team will let you, try to say hello. If not, maybe we'll have a chance to talk some other time. I'm dying to meet the guy that wouldn't take no for an answer. Anyway, best of luck and I'll see you both in January.

Dave Shutter

Thanx Brad...I'm looking forward to meeting the guy who game me/we the USMC quide...AND MASHING THE HELL OUT OF HIM!!!

...JK ;), actually OC's aren't allowed to do that I'm told, just a little yelling, but I'll be sure to say hello in my own special way, we'll see.

Farthest thing from my mind actually, I'm all about Poopie week right now. I'm still nervous about my very first flight physical (also in week 1 for SNA's I'm told) and being told one ear is bigger than the other or something like that and BAM...NPQ. Then there's the Gouge from Ed Williams that they're really cracking down on the IN-PRT, and young guys are rolling left and right for less than perfect...you name it. I take heart in the advice Vicki gave me: "One graded evolution at a time!"

Dave

bpikula

Hey Dave I hear ya! One evolution at a time. Isn't that the truth. As far as the flight physical, there is really nothing you can do about it. I remember getting mine done at ACEs and I was terrified. Here is a little advice though: If you have any paperwork from MEPS, bring it. If you have copies of a waiver (your knee) bring it. They were supposed to have all of our medical stuff at NOMI, but somehow it got lost or something. Basically we all had to do an entire physical. (blood work, EKG, cough, bend over) I was only expecting to get my eyes tested, dental, and anthros checked, but it ended up being a 5 or 6 hour ordeal. If you don't have a waiver you will have to go through all that crap again as well. I made like 5 copies of my upchit. The staff in P-Cola collected the originals for our files, but I'm betting I never see it again. You better believe I'm hanging on to the copies.

Oh yeah, we did the PRT for API and it wasn't that bad. You have to finish the run in 12:30, but it is on a cross-country type course. If I'm not mistaken, OCS uses a normal concrete track. It's right next door and is a much faster surface. They show you the proper form they expect for push-ups and sit-ups, but it is kind of hard to monitor 30+ guys. Unless you are doing the worm, I don't think you'll have a problem with anything. Guys in our group that would have gotten "rolled" weren't exactly in great shape and were slow on the run.

I guess I'm more worried about the lovely winter they are forecasting this year. I'm tropical and anything below 65 degrees F is freezing cold to me. Nothing better than running 5 miles at 0500 when it's pitch black and below freezing. Ugh! Are thermal underwear and ski caps allowed at OCS?

Jeff29

Science Project
Dave,

I have to concur with bpikula on taking copies of all your records. However, I have to disagree on one thing. He said there's "nothing you can do about", which is true in some cases, but not all. As I mentioned in a previous post, there are people who get med rolled for real stupid reasons. If they tell you there's a problem, don't be afraid to ask questions, and ask for help. Especially after all the effort you've made, don't let things get hung up because someone was too busy or too lazy to help.

Dave Shutter

Brad...

I'm making copies of everything, especially my med and age waivers, bet on that!

I don't know what kind of weather they're predicting for Fla. this year but I'm spretty sure its A: nothing like NJ or B: nothing like Graf' or Hoenfels Ger. in Jan.

Between those two I'm pretty immune to cold but my known classmates so far, Taho and Sam, are from the Minneapolis and Illinois respectively. Those mid-west guys know what real winter is, so they'll pobably be sweating when other "warm climate types" (ie:you) are freezing standing out in formation.

BTW, 40 degrees feels like 10 when you have to stand at attention or parade rest for half an hour, then there's those dress shoes and socks we'll wear after poopie week. Man I'm gonna miss my combat boots and heavy wool socks!

Thanx for yet another heads-up Jeff, bet your ass I'll be on the look-out for "short-time Sammy" and "ready-to-retire Ron" when I go through my physical. I didn't go through two+ years of app' BS and pain to get shot down by some lazy ass who can't get his mind off his next fishing trip.

BTW Jeff, I recall you saying Oct. 15, (today!) was the magic day, got an announcement yet?!!

Dave

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 10/15/2001 19:25:21

Jeff29

Science Project
The board date has been postponed to 13 NOV. It's a week-long board (they address transfers among all communities plus augmentations), and it takes a couple weeks for them to release the results. I don't really expect to know before the first week of December. Just my luck.

Raptor2216

I have OCS in june 2001, only difference is that i'm going to virginia. If there are any other marines out there, let me know.

Go Marines.

brian-75

Hey Magnum,

I was just selected today for pilot slot on the jan. 12 ocs date. I have not filled out any paper work or taken the oath yet. Funny that my application took only 1 week to get considered and sent through all of the red tape of the government. So if I accpet all I need to do now is to work on getting back into shape more than I have been working on...hehe

Brian

magnum

RIGHT ON!!!

Its outstanding to hear from you guys. Its a great feeling to know I will have some future aviators in my class-ship mates with the same interests and goals. I look forward with meeting you Bpikula and Brian -75. As well as ngtippet and sna russell who I believe are 1 week ahead of us- as well as eoddave in dec and of course the illustrious dave s in OCT-who will be infamous "CANDY-O'S" for our class(LURCH huh,hehehehe). Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone. OUTSTANDING!!!!

Indoc Candidate MAGNUM
"I feel the need-the need for ?...(lol)
FLY NAVY!!!!

hwood

Hey y'all,
I just wanted to give an outrageous yell to say that I absolutely cannot wait until next Saturday. The wait has been intolerable and now I just want everything that I've been told and not told to begin...Now all I've got to do is get up in six hours and make a sixteen hour drive to Pgh. to finish up my paperwork and get some miles in on the hills. I know that P-cola is flat mostly, but what can it hurt right? Later!

magnum

HEY!! January 12 OCS Class are we still out there? 2 months and counting-keep the info pouring in. Brian-75/Bpkula/???--Also Ngtippet/SNA Russell how are you guys? 1 week ahead of us.(Jan 05, correct)?

SNA Russell

magnum,

What's up? You're right. Trey and myself are one week ahead of you. Michaela and Kyle are also in the 05 JAN class. They're floating around here some where.

I'm doing all right. Trying to get my run time down, but shin splints are killing me.

Got any good gouge? Kyle dropped a bomb of info on the 05 JAN page. Check it out.

-Rory

bpikula

Hey Magnum, I'm still around. I've got a few more weeks of work. My last day is Nov. 30th and then I am going to try to relax a little before leaving for OCS. I'm also trying to get in better shape. It's hard to work full time and still be able to run and workout. I've been getting up at 6:00 and trying to get 4 or 5 miles before work each morning, but I've been a little lazy in the weight room at night. Once I'm done working that will change for sure. I want to gain a little more weight before reporting to OCS. I hear you can lose 10-15 lbs. while your there. Ugh! Anyway, what day are you all going to show up in P-Cola. I'm planning on driving over on the 9th or 10th and staying with friends. We definitely need to meet up before the 12th. If you want, e-mail your numbers so we can get in touch. Talk to you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.