• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC DCO success strategies for reconsideration in subsequent cycles

eclayj

You didn't get picked up because you put Intel first, and the board said "wtf" when comparing that choice to your background.

Your more suited for MCWO or IP. Your top three should contain MCWO, IP, and CW.

As mentioned your work experience is important, but so is your motivational statement. Speak to your leadership in both your resume and motivational statement. While the Navy is hiring you for the skills and experience you have, at the end of the day your job is to Lead.

Also, I know this post is a bit old, but will foot stomp: I'd caution to check yourself.

A well known rule in the military is: You don't know who knows who. Networking is huge.

Write a response, wait 10 minutes, then re-read it before you hit submit.
Fair enough. I appreciate the feedback

number9

Contributor
You didn't get picked up because you put Intel first, and the board said "wtf" when comparing that choice to your background.

Your more suited for MCWO or IP. Your top three should contain MCWO, IP, and CW.

As mentioned your work experience is important, but so is your motivational statement. Speak to your leadership in both your resume and motivational statement. While the Navy is hiring you for the skills and experience you have, at the end of the day your job is to Lead.

Also, I know this post is a bit old, but will foot stomp: I'd caution to check yourself.

A well known rule in the military is: You don't know who knows who. Networking is huge.

Write a response, wait 10 minutes, then re-read it before you hit submit.
While the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", I disagree. I know a bunch of INTEL officers who are JDs, and a couple with formal experience in data science (including AI/ML). Yet I've never met an IP or a CW without prior experience in their fields, whereas for INTEL it's common to have candidates selected with no intel experience whatsoever.

Agreed on the attitude stuff, though.

@eclayj if you got all 10s on the interviews, you need to sit down with your recruiter and figure out what the gaps are. Something doesn't add up here...

eclayj

A regrettable moment of weakness - only human trying to get better, will take the advice on the attitude and appreciate the thoughtful answer

eclayj

Old (no offense to those in my age bracket). If selected I’d be 44 by the time I commission and did request and receive an age waiver.

I think to try to mitigate the concern as much as possible, I have stressed that I am looking to be in for as long as I can, until I am forced out by hitting a mandatory age limit - if possible.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
I'll reiterate my previous comment: if you got all 10s and weren't selected, there's something going on. You need to figure out what it is, and I'd start by asking your recruiter.

INTEL is, in my experience, the designator that takes the most "unqualified" (i.e. no former intel experience) out of any program that has DCA accessions.

eclayj

I'll reiterate my previous comment: if you got all 10s and weren't selected, there's something going on. You need to figure out what it is, and I'd start by asking your recruiter.
Thank you for the advice, I have been in close contact with my OR asking these types of questions. My OR has circulated my package around to some of his officer contacts for feedback. He told me he was at a loss as to my non-selection, and so I am here trying to squeeze out some additional feedback.

exNavyOffRec

Old (no offense to those in my age bracket). If selected I’d be 44 by the time I commission and did request and receive an age waiver.

I think to try to mitigate the concern as much as possible, I have stressed that I am looking to be in for as long as I can, until I am forced out by hitting a mandatory age limit - if possible.
Just because NRC gives a waiver doesn't mean the board has to accept it. It is common for NRC to approve pretty much all waivers then let the board say no.

eclayj

Just because NRC gives a waiver doesn't mean the board has to accept it. It is common for NRC to approve pretty much all waivers then let the board say no.
That makes sense and on some level I already knew that, and in that vein I am trying to mitigate any concern about my age in my statement and interviews, as mentioned. Any other suggestions on how mitigate concerns regarding age are very much appreciated and welcomed.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

This is likely what is hurting you. Not age in terms of physical ability, but age in terms of community health and growth. If you commissioned around 45 years of age, you would only be able to serve 16-17 years before facing statutory age retirement.

Communities want those who can serve 20+ years to provide community health and inventory of O-5 and O-6 officers.