• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC DCO success strategies for reconsideration in subsequent cycles

eclayj

Hi all, hopefully there is not a relevant thread on this particular topic already (apologies if so). I am just curious for individuals who were well qualified and did not get picked up on your first try but on a subsequent try, what do you think the successful pieces of your strategy were that led to success on later applications? Thank you in advance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all, hopefully there is not a relevant thread on this particular topic already (apologies if so). I am just curious for individuals who were well qualified and did not get picked up on your first try but on a subsequent try, what do you think the successful pieces of your strategy were that led to success on later applications? Thank you in advance!

Your best bet is to check out the various IWC DCO board threads to find common trends, stats, etc. There's a few there who didn't get it on their first try.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I completed my masters degree and made sure that my motivational statement reflected the designators that I selected. If you choose more than one, make sure that you emphasize why you are qualified for your number 1 choice, and why you chose number 2, etc.

exNavyOffRec

well qualified based on whose interpretation? I say that because too often recruiters have pumped up applicants to keep them interested by saying they are "great candidates". Do you have a degree that corresponds to the designator and are working in a field that aligns with the designator you applied for? Did your recruiter say that you had all 10's on your panel interviews? If those are all yes's then it just may have been luck of the draw that you missed out, if not then how close are you to being able to say yes to all those questions?

There are those that won't be able to say yes to what I asked but the more yes's you have the better shot you have. I would also do what was mentioned above.

eclayj

well qualified based on whose interpretation? I say that because too often recruiters have pumped up applicants to keep them interested by saying they are "great candidates". Do you have a degree that corresponds to the designator and are working in a field that aligns with the designator you applied for? Did your recruiter say that you had all 10's on your panel interviews? If those are all yes's then it just may have been luck of the draw that you missed out, if not then how close are you to being able to say yes to all those questions?

There are those that won't be able to say yes to what I asked but the more yes's you have the better shot you have. I would also do what was mentioned above.
Sure, a good point to consider. I was told I did very well with the interviews, although no numerical scores were given to me as feedback.

I have a JD and an MS in data analytics as well as an undergraduate curriculum that included advanced calc and linear algebra and 4 years of Japanese.

I have experience with AI\ML and currently work for a company in the space manufacturing industry. I’m hoping that qualifies me for the extra consideration criteria listed in the program approvals.

I do hope I am a decent candidate. I was told that I’d have to specifically address how I had improved as a candidate. I am trying to earn a CompTIA security+ certification and better highlight my leadership experience.

Again, I am looking for advice on strategies for my subsequent application which I have been encouraged to submit and is not all that much of an additional burden - so any relevant advice is helpful. Pushing through an individual who is not a good candidate, and already received a non-selection notice seems an unlikely strategy for any OR, as well as a complete time waste and a good way to get on the bad side of people in their chain of command . . . but I suppose it’s possible.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Sure, a good point to consider. I was told I did very well with the interviews, although no numerical scores were given to me as feedback.

I have a JD and an MS in data analytics as well as an undergraduate curriculum that included advanced calc and linear algebra and 4 years of Japanese.

I have experience with AI\ML and currently work for a company in the space manufacturing industry. I’m hoping that qualifies me for the extra consideration criteria listed in the program approvals.

I do hope I am a decent candidate. I was told that I’d have to specifically address how I had improved as a candidate. I am trying to earn a CompTIA security+ certification and better highlight my leadership experience.

Again, I am looking for advice on strategies for my subsequent application which I have been encouraged to submit and is not all that much of an additional burden - so any relevant advice is helpful. Pushing through an individual who is not a good candidate, and already received a non-selection notice seems an unlikely strategy for any OR, as well as a complete time waste and a good way to get on the bad side of people in their chain of command . . . but I suppose it’s possible.

Two thoughts to this:
1. What work experience you feel may be relevant for Intel/IWC might not be in the eyes of the community and selection board. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen applicant insist they are competitive when in fact they barely met the requirements.
2. Interviews can make you/break you - especially if you have an impressive resume but don't do well on the interviews.

I would suggest you reach out to your recruiter as well who might be able to offer more specific feedback.

eclayj

Thank you for that advice I appreciate it! I have asked about what “quantifiable experience in AI/ML and/or the space professions” means as stated in the program authorizations but if anyone has insight here as well I appreciate the insight!

exNavyOffRec

Pushing through an individual who is not a good candidate, and already received a non-selection notice seems an unlikely strategy for any OR, as well as a complete time waste and a good way to get on the bad side of people in their chain of command . . . but I suppose it’s possible.
Many times you won't be told the scores, some will, but your OR may feel 8's are good, but some boards want to see all 10's, the writeups matter as well, given a person a "10" but then in the narrative saying "with time this person will fit in well....." does not make sense, yet I have seen it.

You would think, but it is activity and they can say they have submitted a person to the board. Some are only concerned about "activity".

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影

Which designator did you apply for?

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang

I would think that securing your Sec plus cert and illustrating your leadership engagement or experience would help. What work experience are you currently engaged with that keeps you relevant to the designator of choice?

eclayj

I would think that securing your Sec plus cert and illustrating your leadership engagement or experience would help. What work experience are you currently engaged with that keeps you relevant to the designator of choice?
I am working as a Business Intelligence Analyst and Data Engineer

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Intel with a second choice of 1815 based on the recommendation of the OIC I interviewed with (and my personal interest as well)
Make sure your motivational statement highlights why you are the best qualified for Intel and back it up. Add additional information on why you chose Cryptologic Warfare as your second choice with evidence of how you will succeed. Make sure you know what a Cryptologic Warfare Officer does, what they will be doing now there is a Maritime Cyber Warfare Officer designator, and how you fit in.

eclayj

Make sure your motivational statement highlights why you are the best qualified for Intel and back it up. Add additional information on why you chose Cryptologic Warfare as your second choice with evidence of how you will succeed. Make sure you know what a Cryptologic Warfare Officer does, what they will be doing now there is a Maritime Cyber Warfare Officer designator, and how you fit in.
Thank you

graham

Intel with a second choice of 1815 based on the recommendation of the OIC I interviewed with (and my personal interest as well)
Those don't seem like great fits for the resume described, especially Intel. Neither field is as brainy as it sounds. Cyber and IP might better.