• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC DCO success strategies for reconsideration in subsequent cycles

eclayj

Those don't seem like great fits for the resume described, especially Intel. Neither field is as brainy as it sounds. Cyber and IP might better.
Thank you. I was a no rec again at this most recent board. My OR circulated my package around to some officers in his network to get feedback and it was similar to your thoughts. They all said my package was solid and all suggested I submit again, but the feedback was that Cryptologic warfare may be a better fit. In one sense, I am not sure why as I do not have any SIGINT experience, I assume most civilians would not. As for IP and Cyber, those are interesting fields but I do not have Cybersecurity experience. So while I do have a tech background, it is entirely in data science, data engineer and ML

My thought process was that the transferable skill set to Intel is that my entire career has been focused on taking disparate and large amounts of data from varied sources, and turning that into actionable information for non-technical audiences for their decision making. In addition I think my brief stint after law school before I got into tech helps with my writing ability and finding only relevant facts from complicated fact patterns and information. But perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way? Thank you for the advice!

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Thank you. I was a no rec again at this most recent board. My OR circulated my package around to some officers in his network to get feedback and it was similar to your thoughts. They all said my package was solid and all suggested I submit again, but the feedback was that Cryptologic warfare may be a better fit. In one sense, I am not sure why as I do not have any SIGINT experience, I assume most civilians would not. As for IP and Cyber, those are interesting fields but I do not have Cybersecurity experience. So while I do have a tech background, it is entirely in data science, data engineer and ML

My thought process was that the transferable skill set to Intel is that my entire career has been focused on taking disparate and large amounts of data from varied sources, and turning that into actionable information for non-technical audiences for their decision making. In addition I think my brief stint after law school before I got into tech helps with my writing ability and finding only relevant facts from complicated fact patterns and information. But perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way? Thank you for the advice!
Genuinely speaking- any lack of cyber experience from the DCO perspective is a hard pass for IP & MCWO. Most of the current IP and CW Officers whom are requesting to convert to MCWO are very strong cyber types (keyboard commando grade good)

I can’t necessarily speak for all of the CW community, but I notice that most of us DCO type JOs are engineers ranging from CSE/EE to ME and all w advanced degrees including heavy cyber emphasis, not to mention serving in cyber industry or DoD civilian roles. Just my observation and the trend for DCO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Actual work experience and skills / certifications related to the respective DCO program is key.

I cannot emphasize this enough. When I was doing DCO recruiting, I couldn’t tell you how many applicants who thought they met or even exceeded the program authorization requirements when in fact their work experience and skills were either padded or simply not aligned at all.

For the OP, you need to deep dive and see what gaps you actually have. Perhaps finding and networking with a senior IWC officer on LinkedIn is a start.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Actual work experience and skills / certifications related to the respective DCO program is key.

I cannot emphasize this enough. When I was doing DCO recruiting, I couldn’t tell you how many applicants who thought they met or even exceeded the program authorization requirements when in fact their work experience and skills were either padded or simply not aligned at all.

For the OP, you need to deep dive and see what gaps you actually have. Perhaps finding and networking with a senior IWC officer on LinkedIn is a start.
Work experience is a great point and hands down probably the most significant driver. Academically qualified is one layer but that competency in real-world relevance is what sends it home for the board. Thanks for pointing that out!

eclayj

Great advice, I have already reached out to a senior Intel officer in my network and will try to reach out to someone in the Cryptologic Warfare community as well. Again, as I said before, personally I am not sure I am qualified for CW but other officers reviewing my package have said it might be better fit and recommended I submit again with CW as a first choice. One more question here, I have asked this as one of my questions in my interview panel twice and nobody has been able to give an actual answer. In the PA for Intel (and CW) it states that quantifiable experience in AI\ML be given extra consideration. My question is, why? Why does Navy Intelligence want officers with AI\ML experience? I have my ideas based on my understanding and research, but would love to hear from someone who is in the community, if there is anyone on this thread who can shed some light on that.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Great advice, I have already reached out to a senior Intel officer in my network and will try to reach out to someone in the Cryptologic Warfare community as well. Again, as I said before, personally I am not sure I am qualified for CW but other officers reviewing my package have said it might be better fit and recommended I submit again with CW as a first choice. One more question here, I have asked this as one of my questions in my interview panel twice and nobody has been able to give an actual answer. In the PA for Intel (and CW) it states that quantifiable experience in AI\ML be given extra consideration. My question is, why? Why does Navy Intelligence want officers with AI\ML experience? I have my ideas based on my understanding and research, but would love to hear from someone who is in the community, if there is anyone on this thread who can shed some light on that.

Not sure if you've been reading the news, but AI/ML has becoming more important these days in our daily lives. Someone having actual experience is definitely greatly valued by the community.

eclayj

Not sure if you've been reading the news, but AI/ML has becoming more important these days in our daily lives. Someone having actual experience is definitely greatly valued by the community.
Do you even have any experience with ML to know that this is possibly the most worthless, meaningless answer, and a complete waste of time (as are many of your posts)? I guess this would be the answer of someone who has no understanding of what ML or AI is… news flash, the application of ML is just a tad bit more nuanced, and no organization should aspire to have ML and AI integrated into what they do without a clear understanding of what they want to achieve. Why give an answer like this? What is the point of a post like this? You respond this way to so many posts. Were you bullied as a child? You are a true keyboard warrior. I hope someone can actually give an intelligent and thoughtful answer. Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Do you even have any experience with ML to know that this is possibly the most worthless, meaningless answer, and a complete waste of time (as are many of your posts)? I guess this would be the answer of someone who has no understanding of what ML or AI is… news flash, the application of ML is just a tad bit more nuanced, and no organization should aspire to have ML and AI integrated into what they do without a clear understanding of what they want to achieve. Why give an answer like this? What is the point of a post like this? You respond this way to so many posts. Were you bullied as a child? You are a true keyboard warrior. I hope someone can actually give an intelligent and thoughtful answer. Thanks!

I think I found out why you weren't selected. Perhaps you need to check your attitude at the door if you want to be a serious IWC DCO candidate.

eclayj

I think I found out why you weren't selected. Perhaps you need to check your attitude at the door if you want to be a serious IWC DCO candidate.
I think I know why the Navy has been struggling with recruiting, people like you. I only have an attitude when I get attitude. I treat others respectfully when they extend respect and are professional - core ideals of the Navy I am pretty sure. You are neither respectful nor professional. Please feel free to not respond to any of my questions, your answers have been very basic and often times simply rude. You are quite possibly the most negative person on this site and I am not going to be bullied by someone hiding behind their keyboard. I am looking for information that is actually useful. You tell me how that last answer you gave was useful? It wasn’t, it was nothing but disrespectful. Have a great day and good luck to you.

exNavyOffRec

I think I know why the Navy has been struggling with recruiting, people like you. I only have an attitude when I get attitude. I treat others respectfully when they extend respect and are professional - core ideals of the Navy I am pretty sure. You are neither respectful nor professional. Please feel free to not respond to any of my questions, your answers have been very basic and often times simply rude. You are quite possibly the most negative person on this site and I am not going to be bullied by someone hiding behind their keyboard. I am looking for information that is actually useful. You tell me how that last answer you gave was useful? It wasn’t, it was nothing but disrespectful. Have a great day and good luck to you.
The USN has had issues with enlisted recruiting but with the exception of i believe one officer AD designator they are doing well and that one designator was more of a self inflicted miss.

eclayj

The USN has had issues with enlisted recruiting but with the exception of i believe one officer AD designator they are doing well and that one designator was more of a self inflicted miss.
Thank you, my response was really aimed at pointing out the lack of respect and to respond in kind as there are only so many of those responses I can take without reacting. I received all 10’s on interviews, so there is at least some evidence that I do not in fact have an attitude problem. You get what you dish out. The back and forth on this is a waste of time and again, I am simply looking for actual and useful answers to my questions - not answers that start out with “Not sure if you’ve been reading the news , but …”

Also to respond to your post, apparently there was a miss last year on Reserve officer recruiting and retention. Here is my source:

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I hope someone can actually give an intelligent and thoughtful answer.
Tone it down a notch, please.

Are you 43 yrs old like your profile says? If so, you would need an age waiver.

Can you elaborate some more on your background, degrees, prior work, and qualifications? Any advice would benefit from additional details about you.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you, my response was really aimed at pointing out the lack of respect and to respond in kind as there are only so many of those responses I can take without reacting. I received all 10’s on interviews, so there is at least some evidence that I do not in fact have an attitude problem. You get what you dish out. The back and forth on this is a waste of time and again, I am simply looking for actual and useful answers to my questions - not answers that start out with “Not sure if you’ve been reading the news , but …”

Also to respond to your post, apparently there was a miss last year on Reserve officer recruiting and retention. Here is my source:

There is more to this, there are recruiting goals and then there is what they really need. The recruiting goals are always higher that what is actually needed, so they may or may not have actually hit they need to bring in.