• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livefast

Doc_52 is absolutely right. Jung, NO, it is not fair to say that the Corps emphasizes fitness over intelligence. It's a balance of both, understand? If you want to be a squid (the Navy), do as you please, but understand that you're compromising. Overcome your self-proclaimed laziness first before you consider joining the finest fighting organization in the world.

JLH

Harsh but true

Back to the original topic ... when I was a Marine, I was a PTI at OCS for 2 summer cycles ... the OSO was basically correct, just blunt in his wording ... if you can't handle the PT, you won't be competitive for selection. If you got selected and weren't in good physical shape you are a big injury risk (either muscle strains, shin splints, or bona fide stress fractures), and then you waste not only your time, but the Marine Corps' time, because if you get hurt, you go home (at least in 97 & 98). To get a 1st class is pretty easy ... most high school kids can do it ... just practice ... and when you run your PFT ... sprint till you puke.

stevew

Doc_52 said:
I hope stevew, the moderator of this particular thread, was speaking in jest when he said "I think intelligent Marine is oximoronic". That was real clever, stevew, but not really appropriate. I'm sure the 165 candidates who received their commission at OCS 184 on December 12, 2003 would be willing to "debate" that comment with you if given the chance. Yes, a Marine Officer is physically fit, although they don't all have a 300 PFT. Yes, an OCS candidate must meet "academic standards". No, it's not nuclear physics, nor do those with less than a college degree become Officers of Marines. Some even majored in physics!

Doc 52, yes I was speaking in jest that is why I put "j/k"(just kidding) after I said that. I thought that coming from me (someone who is currently apply for OCC) people would understand my sarcasm. I apologize if I insulted the intelligence of any Marine.

Doc_52

No apology necessary, stevew....I have to admit, the j/k threw me. I looked all over the post to see who the j/k you were responding to had posted. Obviously, I'm not up to speed on some of the "chat" acronyms. My bad. Certainly, as someone currently applying for OCC, you fully understand ALL of the qualifications that must be met to be considered to receive the great honor of being accepted as a candidate for OCS in your goal to be an Officer of Marines. I'm sure most folks reading your post realized you were saying this in jest. Please accept my apology for my misunderstanding. As someone who is likely much older than most folks who post on this site, I've seen and heard over the years so many negative comments concerning those who choose to serve their country in the armed forces. I'm 56 years old and grew up during the 60's where I witnessed the sometimes misguided philosophy of some of those in the "flower" generation and the insulting term, "military intelligence", that I heard so many times during the 60's kinda struck a nerve. Not realizing that you were saying this in jest, I overreacted.

The process, at least from the OCC standpoint, can be a much longer and arduous one than many realize. My son, a December 2002 Baylor graduate (double major, 3.2 GPA), started the application process with his OSO in August 2002. He didn't ship out to Quantico until October 2003. He got a part-time job upon graduation, working enough hours to cover living expenses but allowing time to train at the gym five or six days a week. He did that consistently for eight months! You are correct that the Marines are very physically fit. It takes a lot of work to get that way....and to stay that way. He was in terrific shape when he left for Quantico but was pretty beat down by the time he got his commission in December 2003. The physical rigors of OCS, even though most of the cadidates are in great shape when they arrive, never really allow their bodies to recover much while they are there. I think that is why the pre-ship PFT requirements are so "high" and so important. Even though you are in great shape when you arrive, you are physically beat by the time you finish the "short" ten weeks at Marine Corps OCS.

My advice to those who are considering applying for Marine Corps OCS, particularly via the OCC program, is to work consistently on the physical aspect (proper weight training, crunches, pull ups, etc.), be a good academic student, do community service and other extracurricular activities (this is another thing the Marine Corps likes to see), be a person of high integrity and honor, develop relationships with folks who will write good letters of recommendation, and run, run, run, run....

Being selected as a candidate for Marine OCS and having the opportunity to be an Officer of Marines is a high calling and an ultimate honor for you, your family, and your country. It is not easy to be selected and it takes a commitment and sacrifice on many fronts, and for many months. It is, however, worth it if you truly aspire to be a leader of Marines.

I apologize for the length of my posts....and for getting off topic. I hope my missive may be helpful to some of you. Grace and peace....

jung

Doc_52,

I really appreciate your posts. I'm looking into the Navy and Army because I qualify more for the GPA and education than physical fitness. I need a lot of work on pushups, pullups and the run. I know "I can't do it" doesn't exist in the Marines and I don't think I can pass the PFT anytime soon. I don't know if military is for me but I'm looking into this as I want to pursue a career in law enforcement with the FBI, DEA, and US Marshal after military.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm pretty sure you don't want to apply for the Marine Corps until you are 100% sure, without a doubt, that you want to be a Marine more than anything else in life. I went Navy myself, but that's the general impression I've picked up on from the Marine guys I've met before. Good luck whatever you decide to pursue.

stevew

Doc 52, I wish my family was as supportive in my decision to be a Marine as you are. Thanks for the post.

jung

ben said:
I'm pretty sure you don't want to apply for the Marine Corps until you are 100% sure, without a doubt, that you want to be a Marine more than anything else in life. I went Navy myself, but that's the general impression I've picked up on from the Marine guys I've met before. Good luck whatever you decide to pursue.

Ben,

What do you do in the Navy?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ I'm an officer candidate in the BDCP program. Technically I don't do anything for them yet, but I signed a contract committing to several years of service. Basically the Navy owns me whether I make it through OCS or not. Sorry if I gave you the impression I was an experienced Navy man.

Ben

HueyHornet75

pilot
jung,
if you're interested in the fbi, the Marines are not a bad way to go, considering that the fbi academy is a hop skip and jump from tbs (if you watch the opening of silence of the lambs, you'll see that starling is running on the tbs endurance course)

my tbs spc told us that the fbi likes to pull from Marine officers.

don't sweat the pt thing. i couldn't do all that good stuff when i approached my oso...i was 27 and lived off fast food. now i'm 30 and living the dream. it's all what you want...big picture. don't ever let anyone let you question your motivation to be a Marine, as it's none of their business. just do the right thing, and reach for the brass ring, man.

semper

jung

HueyHornet75,

Thanks for the encouragement. Did your recruiter work with you to get in shape? Mine won't work with me until I can pass the PT. How old were you when you entered OCS?

GVSURob

quick question since it somewhat pertinant

I'm 6'1 and 225. I meet the body fat percentage with no worries at all (I've always been into power lifting, etc.). Lately I've been focusing on sit ups, pull ups, and running, and I feel I'll do well in the sit ups and pull ups, however my running isn't going that well. Do they actually consider the fact that some people that are bigger (although in better physical shape than average) which makes them slower on the run?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI

Doc_52

Robert,

I'll offer some opinions and a little insight, based on what I've heard. I certainly don't know all the "right" answers, so take this for what it's worth. My son attended OCS 184 and is now at TBS. He's 6' 2" and weighs about 175. Prior to starting his training to get in shape for OCS, he weighed about 205. He played college rugby and thought he was in pretty decent shape. He worked out at the gym a couple of times a week while in school and was pretty content with the shape he was in. However, when he started his training for his PFTs while he was going through the OCS application process, he found that he wasn't where he needed to be. He could do only about six pull ups (the dead-hang, no kip-up kind you must do for the Marine Corps) and his three mile time was about 26 minutes. The 100 crunches in two minutes were not that much of a problem. By the way, he graduated from college in December 2002 and shipped out to OCS in October 2003, so he worked out for about seven or eight months getting in shape while going through the application process. His preship PFT was 16 pullups, 100 crunches, and 22-23 minutes for the three-mile (I think). At OCS he got the run down to slightly below 20 minutes. He did tell me that they run you into the ground at OCS. I guess what I'm suggesting is to continue your pullup and crunches routine but really work on your runs. Running is a real big deal at OCS. The Marines run everywhere. I think at OCS you are either marching or running. When we attended his commissioning ceremony in December 2003, I noticed that every candidate I saw, as they were going to the squad bay, the armory, or wherever, was running. They didn't walk anywhere. It was kind of funny, actually.

One other thing. I recommend that you just accept that you are a big guy and don't use that as a "rationalization" for poorer run times, pull ups, etc. My son seemed to be frustrated occassionally because he was tall and because his arms were longer than the guys who were 5' 6". He said it was easier for the smaller guys to do pullups because they didn't have to go as far when they were going up and down doing pullups....plus the guys who weighed 150 pounds didn't have as much weight to pull up. He realized, of course, that sometimes things don't seem fair but you have to do what you have to do in order to succeed. Just keep working hard...and work on the run times. Good luck.....

GVSURob

Doc,

First off, I must congratulate you on raising such a fine son that he became an officer in the United States Military. It must be one of the greatest honors a parent could possibly experience saying "my son is an officer in the _____ (fill in the branch). I hope some day I'll be able to give my parents the honor of saying that their son is also an officer in the military.

Second, thanks for the info. Sometimes when I talk to my parents or friends, they say things like "you're in great shape, you'll be fine," or "don't worry about it," etc. I love this website because it offers opinions to people from people who don't know each other, and probably never will know each other. It's purely informational, motivational, and completely objectional. Basically what you said was what I was looking for from somebody and will only make me work harder and harder each day. After months of training alone, sometimes your mind starts to slip, and you start to slack off... but the information you provided is going to fuel my fire for the next month or two. Once again thanks for the "slap in the face" information I needed that all immediate friends/family were probably too nice to give me! Best of luck to you, and once again.. thank you.

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.