• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jung

A Marine Captain said he will talk to me about OCS when I can do more than 15 pullups, 100 situps in 2 minutes, a 3-mile run in 22 minutes. I can't do these right now so I'm looking at other branches. Was the recruiter correct? What's the process of applying for Marine OCS in sequence? Thanks.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not exactly "the process," but it's so competitive right now that if you can't meet the fitness standards you'd pretty much be wasting your time. At least that's what I would think - your recruiter could just be a :censored_ .

livefast

Not to sound like a colossal prick, but if you cannot do those things you do not belong there. He might have been a little harsh on you though since his job is to at least provide information when it is requested. Look up another OSO.

Crowbar

None
No he was not correct. I agree that you have to do those numbers to make it through OCS, but by saying he won't even talk to you until you can do it, he's just showing his laziness/arrogance.

Now, if you are doing 1 pullup, 20 situps, and running 3 miles in an hour or two, yeah, he may consider you a waste of time. But the minimum for OCS is a first class PFT (225). So if you are doing even halfway-respectably on the PFT, you can definitely improve if you want to.

stevew

I don't think that your OSO was correct at all. While getting into OCS is very competitve right now and you would need to have at least that kind of a PFT to be considered, the PFT is the last thing you do. Until you fill out the app, security questionaire, get your references, take the ASVAB and ASTB if applicable, and to you physical, you have plenty of time to work on improving your PFT if you put in the proper effort. I say go to another OSO and see what they have to say.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah...he could have at least agreed to work with you. My recruiter in Buffalo used to show up every other morning at 6AM to the University campus where I was going to school, just to run and work out with me and a few other candidates. And now that I'm finishing up the app through the NYC office, the guys here have PFT's every saturday, no matter what you're up to, you can keep coming so you can improve. I think that your OSO is probably just lazy. However, if you can't do a single pull-up or anything, I highly suggest that you get a move on the exercise before going back in.

wutzu

In conversations with my OSO, he's said he wouldn't submit a packet unless the PFT was at least 230. Submit it right and you'll only have to submit it once.

Your OSO probably doubts you'd be competitive in your current state of fitness, and isn't going to waste his time preparing a packet that won't make the cut.

jung

I've been working out inconsistently but have to focus on pullups, situps and the run. I'm lazy so I will have to make myself drive to the gym after work to do something daily. The intensity of the workout will increase over time. How competitive is Marine OCS assuming that I can pass the PFT easily? Can anyone compare this to the Navy?

Crowbar

None
If all you can do is pass a PFT, more than likely you will not make it through OCS. At a minimum, you have to have a first class (225 out of 300 possible points) to be eligible for OCS. But just having a 225 doesn't mean you will be able to finish OCS either. The 15/100/22 minute thing is a good guide, but you need to be able to do more than that, and run faster than that...with gear and a rifle.

Physically, OCS is a kick in the ass. Every day requires you to put out as if your life depends on it.

stevew

I haven't heard of anyone getting into OCS right now with just a 225 PFT. The PFT is the most competitve part of the app, so those guys with the higher PFT scores are usually the ones being accepted. So "passing" the PFT won't get you a slot in OCS.

jung

So is it fair to say that the Marines emphasize physical fitness over intelligence? I don't mean to offend anyone here.

stevew

I think intelligent Marine is oximoronic, j/k To make it as a marine you must be very physically fit. There are academic standards a marine must meet but it is by no means nuclear physics.

OCSCAND

When I first started in the PLC program I was running 180 PFTs and my OSO did nothing but encourage me. He trained with me and pushed me along and I'm now running 260+ about 4 months later and have been accepted to PLC Jrs. this summer. Just give it all you got and if you want it enough, you can get it. Just takes some effort!!! Good luck

Doc_52

Physical fitness vs. intelligence

jung said "So is it fair to say that the Marines emphasize physical fitness over intelligence? I don't mean to offend anyone here."

stevew said "I think intelligent Marine is oximoronic, j/k To make it as a marine you must be very physically fit. There are academic standards a marine must meet but it is by no means nuclear physics."

I'm not sure I understand the "spirit" of these two comments as they relate to the posted topic. If I understand this correctly, this is a thread concerning Marine Corps OCS and the original post concerned comments given by a particular OSO to a prospective candidate about meeting certain physical fitness "standards". It is certainly debatable whether or not the OSO comments were correct. However, references to GPA/academic standards/intelligence were not mentioned in jung's original question. Academic guidelines can be found in other threads. I suppose jung must have made a "leap in logic" after seeing the other posts on physical guidelines required for acceptance into OCS to assume those who "exercise their muscles" haven't also "excercised their brains". However, it is not fair to say that the Marine Corps OCS emphasizes "brawn over brain". By the way, jung, no offense was taken. I realize you are just asking a question. With all other things being equal (letters of reference, candidate character, needs of the Marine Corps, etc.), I suspect the Marine Corps might prefer a candidate with a 300 PFT and a 4.0 GPA over a candidate with a 250 PFT and a 4.0 GPA, if they had to choose between these two. However, I'm not so sure they would choose a candidate with a 300 PFT and a 2.0 GPA over one with a 250 PFT and a 4.0 GPA. Selection is not based on one factor alone. It is about balance....although only the Selection Board knows what that balance is.

The Marine Corps places the greatest emphasis on leadership abilities demonstrated at OCS. Certainly physical fitness is very important, as it is necessary to handle the physical rigors while at OCS. That is why there are some minimum guidelines which must be met prior to an OSO sending off a package. Intelligence is also necessary to handle the academic training one receives while at Quantico. That is why all candidates commissioned at OCS must have a college degree.

I hope stevew, the moderator of this particular thread, was speaking in jest when he said "I think intelligent Marine is oximoronic". That was real clever, stevew, but not really appropriate. I'm sure the 165 candidates who received their commission at OCS 184 on December 12, 2003 would be willing to "debate" that comment with you if given the chance. Yes, a Marine Officer is physically fit, although they don't all have a 300 PFT. Yes, an OCS candidate must meet "academic standards". No, it's not nuclear physics, nor do those with less than a college degree become Officers of Marines. Some even majored in physics!

Status
Not open for further replies.