• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the PPL actually worth the cost?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Yeah, and the terrain ain't too shabby, either.
I did several PTI events there and the LL's in that area are the best in the country. My favorite part of the terrain there was when a P-3 issued a 9-line on a rock a mile off the coast instead of our cooperative target.:D

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
Look into getting a Sport Pilot rating, if you can find a school near you that has Light Sport Aircraft. You can do it much quicker, and cheaper.
I'm currently flying an Evektor SportStar (which is an LSA), and it's way more fun than any Cessna 172.

Old thread but thought I'd give it a go anyways. Do you guys know if the Sport Pilot License is valid to skip IFS?

Edit: Got the answer from another thread. Only a PPL is valid.

jtmedli

pilot
Old thread but thought I'd give it a go anyways. Do you guys know if the Sport Pilot License is valid to skip IFS?

Edit: Got the answer from another thread. Only a PPL is valid.

I could be wrong, but I thought that a "solo cross country" was valid to skip IFS?

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
jtmedli, sounds good to me but bmaru on another thread assured me otherwise. Would be nice to really know for sure.

bmaru said:
Only thing that works to complete IFS is a private pilot license.

ryan1234

Look into getting a Sport Pilot rating, if you can find a school near you that has Light Sport Aircraft. You can do it much quicker, and cheaper.
I'm currently flying an Evektor SportStar (which is an LSA), and it's way more fun than any Cessna 172.

'til you get a decent bit of a gusty/crosswind-ish day. :) - those things can be a handful

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
'til you get a decent bit of a gusty/crosswind-ish day. :) - those things can be a handful

I did my cross country in the LSA you see on my avatar, and yeah it was definitely a challenge battling the winds! At one point I had such a strong headwind that my ground speed was about 15mph! Lol. But I agree with huggy, its a lot of fun and in my opinion more challenging than a cessna. I currently fly a Tecnam P92, similar to a 172.