• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the PPL actually worth the cost?

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Well I'm a reservist and pretty much go from one set of orders to the next. I now actually have the time and money to do the PPL. However Im expecting a set of orders to in the next couple of weeks at COMNAVEUR or EUCOM. I'm looking at six months to start, possibly expanding into another year long set of orders at the end. I wanted to fly everyday and see how quickly I could do it, especially given the experience from primary and API.

The rental places here were $105-145 for a 172SP. Figure $30-$45 for instruction that goes to like $135-$190 an hour. Oh and dont forget the school which requires you to buy the $350 cessna cleared for flight kit exclusively from them for "insurance purposes!"

As for the job thing... I managed to see a job on clearance jobs.com working for DIA in which they were looking for someone with a pilots license to do something in the stan.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
More than $20 for flight instruction is ridiculous at the PPL level.

I haven't seen instructor fees at $20 for several years. I don't think $30-$35 is unreasonable considering the average CFI has spent a couple of years worth of college tuition paying for ratings. In fact, it's about time CFIs are getting paid a rate commensurate with the responsibility involved. My CFI checkride was on par pain-in-the-ass wise as just about any military flight check.

That said, there aren't a whole lot of instructors who's teaching is worth $35/hr, but a good CFI is worth far more than that. Personally, I think the acceptable rates charged for instruction should directly related to how long you've been instructing. (i.e. 1-3 years =$20, 3-5 years = $30, etc).

Unfortunately, just about every school charges at least $30-35/hr and the CFI only sees about $16-$18 of that.

Sorry for the rambling...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I think instrument currency is 6 approaches every 6 months, not too sure. +1 for the chicks dig it. I used to take girls flying, we'd take off and go to an airport about 20 min away and eat at a restaurant there. The cool thing was you would actually pull your plane up to the building like a car. Good, cheap food, especially since I paid nearly $200 for the plane.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I haven't seen instructor fees at $20 for several years. I don't think $30-$35 is unreasonable considering the average CFI has spent a couple of years worth of college tuition paying for ratings. In fact, it's about time CFIs are getting paid a rate commensurate with the responsibility involved. My CFI checkride was on par pain-in-the-ass wise as just about any military flight check.

That said, there aren't a whole lot of instructors who's teaching is worth $35/hr, but a good CFI is worth far more than that. Personally, I think the acceptable rates charged for instruction should directly related to how long you've been instructing. (i.e. 1-3 years =$20, 3-5 years = $30, etc).

Unfortunately, just about every school charges at least $30-35/hr and the CFI only sees about $16-$18 of that.

Sorry for the rambling...

About two years ago when I got my license, instruction was $40/h and 172SPs (none older than 2000, all with moving map GPS) where $130/h ($117/h with block account).

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Mine was about 6k and I think I did it in just over 50 hours. I flew Archers though which were considerably more expensive than the 152. Ohh, and my instructor fees were 35/hour. I have never seen it for less than 30.

plc67

pilot
For what it's worth I agree with the Hook driver about the CFI being a motherhumper of a checkride. I got mine back in 1975 given by a retired USAF Col. who flew in the Berlin Airlift and knew his stuff.I do think that some rookie CFIs can give some good dual;no burnout. The Chief Flight Instructor where I got my first job had 10,000 hours of Cessna 150 time and was a horrible intructor, but a great guy on the ground.Also try and find one who's not on call for charter; he'll cancel you in a heartbeat to chase the holy grail of multi engine time.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The Chief Flight Instructor where I got my first job had 10,000 hours of Cessna 150 time and was a horrible intructor, ...

I thnk thats true of a lot of stuff. They can teach experts, but are so far romoved from being new to the sport that they have trouble teaching the fundimentals.

FYI: I paid 30 and hour for a CFI (to get signed off at my local club).
And our T34 is 100 and hour, wet. Good stuff.

Cams1215

I'm paying $30/hr for CFI, and $72 an hour for a C150. I've got around 14 hours and have spent total, about $1400 thus far.

DangerousDan

I'm paying $30/hr for CFI, and $72 an hour for a C150. I've got around 14 hours and have spent total, about $1400 thus far.

Where you at? I know my brother and law was telling me about a flight school up where hes offering a 14 day sport pilot program for 4k. Though I did meet a very cute female flight instructor today at one of the local schools.....

HuggyU2

None
Look into getting a Sport Pilot rating, if you can find a school near you that has Light Sport Aircraft. You can do it much quicker, and cheaper.
I'm currently flying an Evektor SportStar (which is an LSA), and it's way more fun than any Cessna 172.

DangerousDan

Look into getting a Sport Pilot rating, if you can find a school near you that has Light Sport Aircraft. You can do it much quicker, and cheaper.
I'm currently flying an Evektor SportStar (which is an LSA), and it's way more fun than any Cessna 172.

Yeah theres no place around here who does the sport pilot. Though up where my brother in law and sister live there is a place that offers a 14 day sport pilot course for about 4k in the Evektor SportStar. Plus a 30 day private pilot course for like 6.5k.

If things work out like I hope they do, I think ill just wait and do mine later because I dont want to do it and then not be able to fly for two years or so. I can just keep playing with flight sim to keep my skills up flying the 172 virtually.