• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the Navy accepting mediocrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
captainobvious.jpg

Not as obvious as you think. Many people think it's an F-15.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't get it. Isn't the Navy worried about a scenario where enemy F/A-whatevers could come and try to **** up our ships?

Yes, and there are tactics for that. But that's not air supremecy. We also have AEGIS ships, etc etc etc.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I sometimes wonder if Billthrill is laughing as he starts a thread like this...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I don't get it. Isn't the Navy worried about a scenario where enemy F/A-whatevers could come and try to **** up our ships?

This could easily get into the weeds on tactics, but suffice to say that "air supremacy" (or the latest buzz-word "air dominance") generally refers to your ability to hunt down and kill the enemy over his own territory.

Defending the carrier is a different animal... namely because it's out over water and surrounded by a bunch of Aegis-type ships.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something else to think of . . . "1 v 1" you could make the argument that Fighter X could beat Fighter Y, but it's the pilot that counts. If you make it to Jet Advanced, you'll find this out when fighting a Fleet IP who is in a carbon copy of your T-45 yet still schooling your butt in your first defensive hop.

Also, the military is a TEAM SPORT. The modern battlefield includes such things as AWACS, GCI, and jamming, not to mention rules of engagement which may or may not favor a particular platform.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I was kind of hoping he was asking about the Navy accepting mediocrity WRT his own selection for BDCP. :D

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Also, from what I've gathered from several sketchy online readings, it sounds like the F-15 probably beats the F-18 overall as a fighter.

With regard to the F-15 vs. F/A-18 debate... I second what nittany said... alot of it depends on the pilot. Many probably say that its superior because of its BVR capability and the fact that the F/A-18s APG-65 radar was inferior to the F-15s APG-70. HOWEVER, Most legacy F/A-18s now have APG-73s ... so thats no longer the issue as far as I know.

However, in general the hornet is a more nimble fighter that can turn inside an eagle... The F-15 has the power advantage, and if the pilot uses that properly he'll be able to avoid being trapped in a slow fight with the hornet. Being slow vs. a hornet is a bad place to be... the F/A-18 has extremely good low-speed handling.... Even the F-16 pilots that I've talked to avoid taking it slow with a hornet..

IMHO its the pilot thats the main determining factor though... each aircraft has its strengths and weaknesses. The Mig-15 could out-perform the F-86 in many ways, and had a more beefy powerplant... but our pilots were better trained and maintained a kill ratio of better than 10:1 for the duration of the war.... all boils down to training.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a ridiculous debate we don't need to repeat. Move to stop the insanity.

Brett

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
With regard to the F-15 vs. F/A-18 debate... I second what nittany said... alot of it depends on the pilot. Many probably say that its superior because of its BVR capability and the fact that the F/A-18s APG-65 radar was inferior to the F-15s APG-70. HOWEVER, Most legacy F/A-18s now have APG-73s ... so thats no longer the issue as far as I know.

However, in general the hornet is a more nimble fighter that can turn inside an eagle... The F-15 has the power advantage, and if the pilot uses that properly he'll be able to avoid being trapped in a slow fight with the hornet. Being slow vs. a hornet is a bad place to be... the F/A-18 has extremely good low-speed handling.... Even the F-16 pilots that I've talked to avoid taking it slow with a hornet..

IMHO its the pilot thats the main determining factor though... each aircraft has its strengths and weaknesses. The Mig-15 could out-perform the F-86 in many ways, and had a more beefy powerplant... but our pilots were better trained and maintained a kill ratio of better than 10:1 for the duration of the war.... all boils down to training.
And then I asked myself: "Self, why are pilots with vastly superior knowledge and experience refraining from posting specifics on this topic?" I'm being brutal, but there is something to be said for actually knowing what an APG-65/73 is actually capable of. I've used the damn things, and I'm still not sure exactly...

C-Mike

Damn, this was a good thread :D

CaptainRon, just sit back and let your BDCP checks roll in, and whenever a thought/question enters your head, GOOGLE IT! Spend some detailed time reading over the search results, and then go camp out at Barnes and Noble and check out all aviation books. If not for anything else, go for the good pictures....I'm sure you'll enjoy ;)

Doing either of the above will aid in preventing the sh!t storm that tends ensue after some of your posts.

That is unless it's all part of your plan...
Perhaps you're more clever than we all give you credit for.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.