• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the navigation over the sea requires BS/BA?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

A question arose from my drinking with my fellows who are former naval and air force navigators in Russian military. When I told them that WWII Kriegsmarine navigators in all submarines were NCOs (that is the truth) and navigators in RAF torpedo planes were NCOs too, they, as nowadays navigators familiar with celestial as well as satellite systems told me that it is not compulsory for modern navigation to graduate high school even - everyone who can read can navigate over the sea knowing just basics of geography. Is that true in USN aviation world?

Max the Mad Russian

Go drink some more.

I can not. Wouldn't navigate myself home otherwise:D
But seriously, there were several times in naval history when absolutely simple people found the way in the sea by some "6th feeling", and thousands times when professional navigators lost themselves completely...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
No degree required:

Hokule%27aSailing2009.jpg

Max the Mad Russian

No degree required:

But a lot of guts, right? Look, almost all formal naval academies all around the world emerged 20 to 100 years after respective military academies. Only Denmark and Russia present the opposite: in both countries the naval academies had been born in 1701, at least several years before formal infantry, gunnery and fortification training/education installations were established. And in both countries, and in Germany and France as well, the service academies were the military form of university from the scratch, with essentially the same types of degree. But it is still highly debatable, is it the fair spendings of the time and money, or no education as such has to be inserted in the officer's head, and training is enough...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...navigators in RAF torpedo planes were NCOs too, they, as nowadays navigators familiar with celestial as well as satellite systems told me that it is not compulsory for modern navigation to graduate high school even - everyone who can read can navigate over the sea knowing just basics of geography. Is that true in USN aviation world?

USMC KC-130 navigators are the last enlisted aerial navigator types in the US military and they are about the go the way of the dodo with the retirement of the last KC-130T's soon. Actual celestial navigation was last taught to US Navy and USAF aerial navigators ~1998.

As for the RAF, plenty of pilots in addition to navigators were NCO's during WWII.

Renegade One

None
As for the RAF, plenty of pilots in addition to navigators were NCO's during WWII.
It was said, before the balloon went up, that regular RAF officers were "pilots trying to be gentlemen", the Royal Auxiliary Air Force (AAF) were "gentlemen trying to be pilots", and the (largely NCO) Volunteer Reserves (RAFVR) were "neither trying to be both". All in good humor, of course.

"Ginger" Lacey, 28 kills and second-highest scorer during the Battle of Britain, was a flying Sergeant until commissioned later in the war.
Additionally, three of the 617 Squadron pilots on the "Dambuster" raid in May, 1943 were Flight Sergeants:
Flight Sergeant C.T. Anderson (Y-YORK)
Flight Sergeant W.C. Townsend (O-ORANGE)
Flight Sergeant K.W. Brown, RCAF (F-FREDDIE)

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
USMC KC-130 navigators are the last enlisted aerial navigator types in the US military and they are about the go the way of the dodo with the retirement of the last KC-130T's soon.

What do Navy FTS C-130Ts do...?