• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it true that the Marines have a quota to reach for female officers?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya know, I just had to add something. this is my very first post here, BUT I did do a SERE school Bravo in Okinawa. There are 3 classes, Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. The one I did was tough, but very exciting, I was so hyped up to do it before it was time to. So, If you ever did have to go to a SERE school rest assured that it is not that bad. I loved repelling off of a cliff!!

Hmm....doesn't sound like the same camping trip I attended in Warner Springs.

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Kulita

I think so... Jungle warfare training SERE school Bravo.... I have the cert for it still. Is it possible that there are different places they are held at?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, time for a little friendly Marine bashing from our Navy brethren. I would just like to point out to our new friend that the Marine Corps is running a new ad campaign. Something to consider when making your decision.

art.protesters.cnn.jpg

Thanks Berkley!

Is that suppose to discourage or encourage people to join the Marines? ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think so... Jungle warfare training SERE school Bravo.... I have the cert for it still. Is it possible that there are different places they are held at?

Are you speaking of JEST? Jungle Environment Survival Training? WAYYYYY different than SERE.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Are you speaking of JEST? Jungle Environment Survival Training? WAYYYYY different than SERE.

-ea6bflyr ;)

There are 3 levels of SERE training.

Level A=Code of conduct training. Classroom stuff.

Level B=Level A + survival skills.

Level C=Levels A and B plus the "resistance lab". This is what most people refer to as "SERE School".

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
^^^ Even in the old days they were way different

For older Marines
1 in North Carolina
1 in the Phillipines
Can you guess which was which:D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now it all makes sense. She attended the SERE Level B (or as we used to call it: Survival Training)...a step closer to camping than LEVEL C SERE (Survival, Evasion, Reistance and Escape). :D
2006093461568140911_fs.jpg

Thanks!
-ea6bflyr ;)

tlord82

pilot
TBS is 6 months of infantry school. ALL Marine Officers are required to go through it after being commissioned. This is different from OCS, or "Bulldog", which all Marine Officers must go through before commissioning. I guess it could be described as "boot camp", but it's much more than that. If you're ROTC, I believe it's a 10-wk course between your junior and senior year. While not doing it myself (I'm Navy), I know it's very challenging (thus the "running with a pack that was half my weight" comment"), but most get through it.

Quick clarification: If you are in ROTC, you attend 6 weeks of OCS ("Bulldog") between your junior and senior year. If you are accepted into PLC early in college, you can attend 2 summers of six weeks of fun at OCS or one 10 week session (though I thought they were going to get rid of the 2 session option). If you get accepted towards the end or after college, you go to a 10 week session at OCS. Then there's the Naval Academy types who feel like they don't have to go to OCS. So basically they're not real Marines (sorry couldn't resist bashing the Boat School:D)

As for quotas, no female Marine has ever told me that they felt they got into something because they are female.

Reactions: Rg9

Rg9

pilot
Quick clarification: ... Then there's the Naval Academy types who feel like they don't have to go to OCS.
Thanks for the correction. I thought Academy guys who wanted Marines still had to go through an abbreviated OCS, though.

tlord82

pilot
Thanks for the correction. I thought Academy guys who wanted Marines still had to go through an abbreviated OCS, though.

A summer cruise for Naval Academy mids is Leatherneck which is several weeks at Camp Barret, Quantico (where TBS is located) doing Marine 'things'. It is not a prerequisite to become a Marine, I believe. Any Naval Academy Marines please correct if I'm wrong.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A summer cruise for Naval Academy mids is Leatherneck which is several weeks at Camp Barret, Quantico (where TBS is located) doing Marine 'things'. It is not a prerequisite to become a Marine, I believe. Any Naval Academy Marines please correct if I'm wrong.

You're right, it's not required, but usually it's highly encouraged.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Then there's the Naval Academy types who feel like they don't have to go to OCS. So basically they're not real Marines (sorry couldn't resist bashing the Boat School:D)
Tell that to:

Lieutenant Colonel Bauer
First Lieutenant Lopez
Second Lieutenant Reem

Major General Barnett
Lieutenant General Lejeune
Major General Neville
Major General Fuller
Major General Russell
General Greene
General Cushman
General Krulak
General Hagee

General Pace

Oh yeah, although not an Academy grad, I don't think Chesty Puller went to OCS.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah, although not an Academy grad, I don't think Chesty Puller went to OCS.

Now you're talking a whole different level when you mention Chesty Puller. You can say whatever you like about Chuck Norris, but "Chesty" is larger than life and Chuck. He's cleaned up banana republics, pushed back endless Japanese Banzai charges on the canal and attacked in a different direction at the Chosin Reservoir. He didn't "need no stinkin' OCS"

ChestyPuller.jpg