• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it possible to get a pilots slot with non-tech major

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFuqua86

I love flying, have a 3.8 gpa, took the astb in an arco book did very well, but im a history major , don't plan on accepting unless i get either sna or nfo do i have a chance.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
oh yeah, no problem. I'm a criminal justice major and I had little difficulty (at lesat little more than anyone else) in completing flight school.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do not have to have a technical degree for a pilot spot. Feel the situation out with your recruiter... things are competitive right now and any little advantage you can give yourself (like a tech. degree) will probably help.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With a 3.8, good test scores, reasonable age, no police or drug history, no med problems, and decent physical conditioning, you should have a good shot with a history major. See a recruiter now. Do not wait. Things are changing frequently and more often then not the change is not in your favor. Most recruiters know their job well and are straight with you. Do as he says and don't delay.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had no problems getting in with a Criminal Justice degree, but that was back in '97/'98. Most of my squadron-mates have a wide variety of degree's so I don't see that being a negative factor with the other positives that you listed!

DFuqua86

I've gotten 3 tickets all before 18 one speeding , one illiegal lane change,1 parking ticket will this hurt me

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
DFuqua86 said:
I've gotten 3 tickets all before 18 one speeding , one illiegal lane change,1 parking ticket will this hurt me

Unless things have changed I don't think you have to list any of those unless they're over a $300 fine.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
When I applied I had 3 speeding tickets, 2 driving without a license, 2 driving without insurance, 1 driving an unregistered motor vehicle, and 1 arrest (related to the driving without a license). BUT, I was applying for PLC.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DFuqua86 said:
I love flying, have a 3.8 gpa, took the astb in an arco book did very well, but im a history major , don't plan on accepting unless i get either sna or nfo do i have a chance.

There was a Department Head in Prowlers who double majored in French and Women's Studies from, of all places, Berkeley. He was in Brett's squadron.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
A technical degree is just a bonus to have on your application. The boards think highly of them because their curricula contain demanding mathematics and science classes. They are challenging degrees that require the most solid work ethic and determination to earn. Again, they are a bonus to have, but as you can see above, many have earned SNA slots with non-technical degrees.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I may have set some records when I applied to the Navy with 13 speeding tickets & other youthful indiscretions. Nobody ever questioned it, so I would have to assume that as long as you are not an axe murderer, you'll be ok.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
HooverPilot said:
I may have set some records when I applied to the Navy with 13 speeding tickets & other youthful indiscretions. Nobody ever questioned it, so I would have to assume that as long as you are not an axe murderer, you'll be ok.

Well, crap. Maybe that's why I haven't heard anything back yet. :icon_wink

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Speeding tickets mean anything unless they are unpaid. They ask you this on the EPSQ.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
HooverPilot said:

how the hell did you ever keep your license with all of those?

Status
Not open for further replies.