• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

is it just me?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I started by running 1.5's at an easy pace, and over a couple months built up to 2 miles at a reasonable pace, and some sprint work (fast 1 lap sprints or whatever). Now what I'll typically do is run 3 miles on the treadmill (it's freezing here now...no long track runs) and other days I'll run as fast as I can for a mile. Got my 3 mile time down from 28:00 (embarassing) down to 23:45, and my mile from a few seconds over 8 to 7:10. Its a lot of work, but you get used to it. I want to get my 3 mile time to 21:00 or under and my mile to 6:00 before OCS in june...keep running!

P.S. Bottom line...do longer runs at an easy/medium pace and do shorter runs at a FAST pace. and by longer and shorter, i mean longer and shorter than the 3 you're being tested on. I would never run the actual 3 unless you do it as a test to guage your progress

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Pretty good progress, there. And, yeah, that's a reasonable time for you to shoot for in June. You'll want some leeway on your initial PFT, at least. A lot of people add as much as a full minute to their normal 3-mile time, and you don't want to attract any attention early on. I barely squeaked by with a 23:40. Pretty embarassing, but there were worse, at least least it cleared the minimum.

Also, if you can, train for hills. Those destroyed my Florida-trained legs. :icon_tong

Anyway, hopefully I'll see you in Quantico.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Pretty good progress, there. And, yeah, that's a reasonable time for you to shoot for in June. You'll want some leeway on your initial PFT, at least. A lot of people add as much as a full minute to their normal 3-mile time, and you don't want to attract any attention early on. I barely squeaked by with a 23:40. Pretty embarassing, but there were worse, at least least it cleared the minimum.

Also, if you can, train for hills. Those destroyed my Florida-trained legs. :icon_tong

Anyway, hopefully I'll see you in Quantico.

well i'm navy...only 1.5 for me!:D just thought i'd post what i did for progress

Blaise

What worked for me so far is running slow and long, then intervals and then doing other cardiovascular stuff, for me surfing. Also stretch like you're a gymnast and drink water like a camel. I'm going to try uphill and weighted runs and see how my body takes it.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
You might be like me... you just get bored...

I always suck when I run alone or when I dont run with anyone, but when I run a PFT with massive people (like at OCS) I try to pick the person off in front of me, and it works...

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
You might be like me... you just get bored...

I always suck when I run alone or when I dont run with anyone, but when I run a PFT with massive people (like at OCS) I try to pick the person off in front of me, and it works...

Agree, I get extremely bored while running alone, but with a friend, I'm just always wanting to stay ahead of them and it gives my competitive spirit something to do.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Agree, I get extremely bored while running alone, but with a friend, I'm just always wanting to stay ahead of them and it gives my competitive spirit something to do.

The way I see it, my number 1 goal when running is to distract myself from the fact that I'm doing something I hate doing. Music/comedy on my MP3 player is KEY! Running with someone else is even better

badger16

None
or if you are in a college town...and it is nice out you can run around and check out the sexy ladies walking around campus....on nice days in madison(no more until next spring:() I could run around for days!!:D HI FIVE!

joboy_2.0

Contributor
or if you are in a college town...and it is nice out you can run around and check out the sexy ladied walking around campus....on nice days in madison(no more until next spring:() I could run around for days!!:D HI FIVE!

Two words....Embry Riddle

:(

cwyx

I have no one to run with.Haha all of my best friends are in enlisted bootcamp at MCRD San Diego but they graduate on 1 dec, so im gonna run with those guys. Ive been doing some moderate runs for the last couple days slow pace and seems to be getting easier. Not sure how to judge the distance though if im just running around my neigborhood. Im sore. haha but i dont feel so hopeless. thanks for all the good advice.

foniks

That's funny... I actually enjoy running by myself. It's good down time. I don't really like to run with other people, even though I seem to be forced to. When I can go on a long run by myself, it's golden.

youearnedit

i don't recommend running slow EVER. i've always been a 23 minute 3 mile runner with no problem (even when I smoked). i started to run 8 miles and 5 miles at a slow pace. well all the sudden i could barely run 7 mph on the tred and my 3 mile fell back to a 25. it took me 2 months to get back on track with running fast. i'm now at 21:59. i'll run a 1 mile real quick or even a 2 but i don't run slow. everyone is different but everyone has to push and push...just breath and put one foot in front of the other and NEVER EVER STOP short of a run.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
i don't recommend running slow EVER. i've always been a 23 minute 3 mile runner with no problem (even when I smoked). i started to run 8 miles and 5 miles at a slow pace. well all the sudden i could barely run 7 mph on the tred and my 3 mile fell back to a 25. it took me 2 months to get back on track with running fast. i'm now at 21:59. i'll run a 1 mile real quick or even a 2 but i don't run slow. everyone is different but everyone has to push and push...just breath and put one foot in front of the other and NEVER EVER STOP short of a run.

Thats a good point...the thing to remember is to NEVER stop doing sprinting drills or doing timed runs for shorter distances...

TigerGSU

I'm worried my PFT is going to be what holds me back from getting accepted by the board (my package is supposed to go in for the December board AFAIK). Ran the three miles for the first time in my life about 2 months ago at 25:00, but since then I am only down to 23:40, and 15 pullups and 93 crunches.

Do the rest of you run on a track or what? Here we have to run around the football stadium parking lot and up some steep fvcking hills (if theres such a thing in Georgia). And the crunches beforehand really make it hurt going uphill.