• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

is it just me?

cwyx

Yet another question for you gentlemen: Ive been laying off my pt a bit after i got the flu for a couple days and didnt really get back into it right away. Ive NEVER been a good runner. I tired to do some running tonight and after about a quarter mile i was WINDED...even when i was trying hard everyday i didnt seem to improve much (I was running a mile and a half and was fine everyday)...Im looking at some workouts for beginers and everyones saying "YEA JUST RUN 3 MILES, REST THEN RUN TO THE STATE LINE AND BACK!" Am i just a pvssy? whats some running tips from you expert runners?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Still recovering? That can hinder your run. A lot of it is mental, are you running until you absolutely can't, or just until you want to stop due to discomfort?

badger16

None
check www.runnersworld.com they have programs for everything...also if you are getting winded maybe you are just out of shape...slow down...or drop the distance. tempo runs are a really good work out....say if you are running 3 miles...that will take you anywhere from 15-30minutes...so start with a tempo pace...not too fast or slow...and put in 30sec. spots in your run where you sprint...then after the 30seconds...drop down to a slower then tempo pace...work back up to tempo when you catch your breath and repeat till you are done...this really helped me build endurance and over ride that stop when you feel winded feeling you get...helps you catch your breath on the run...so even if you are tierd you can still keep pushing on...good luck to you.

badger16

None
Yeah and Matt hit it on the head...its a lot mental...just keep telling yourself its nothing and you got this ...a positive attitude can push you so much further...and after a while it becomes easier to keep running then to stop. believe it or not.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Start out with nice, slow, LONG runs. Build running' legs and increase VO2 max, etc. Do breathing exercises. Get to know your body. Learn what a "second wind" is. Realize when you catch your running rhythm. PMA is important. You can nearly always push yourself further.
Practice. Run a lot. Even though the real run is 1.5 miles, you should build up to running longer distances as fast as you can. After two weeks or so of that, start mixing in 1.5 mile runs that are as close to sprints as you can. Go back to longer runs and then back to the 1.5 mile one week before the prt. Time all your runs and try to improve each time. Have goals. You want to be at peak performance for the test.

Even though your "over" the flu now, you muscles and such may have not recovered yet. Dehydration, etc.

Or if the "pft" then substitute 3 miles for 1.5 miles

Not an expert but do run quite a lot:D

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Yet another question for you gentlemen: Ive been laying off my pt a bit after i got the flu for a couple days and didnt really get back into it right away. Ive NEVER been a good runner. I tired to do some running tonight and after about a quarter mile i was WINDED...

Being sick and then starting to run again really sucks. Same thing happened to me. It took me about a week or two to really get back. Take it easy until you feel strong again. There's no need to kill yourself when your body just needs to recover.

The more you run the easier it gets. It takes a while though.

cwyx

Yeah im back to normal since being sick i just took an extended vacation from my workouts. Im going for the 3 miles in the PFT for the marines, which makes this run seem all the more imposible. Im going to be training enough to be prepared for OCS in the summer, but ive gotta get this 3 miles down in time for a PFT within the 3 weeks to a month. Do you guys run on an empty stomach? do you drink before you run? I seem to stop right when it gets uncomfortable...

badger16

None
i eat 2 hours before a run...and try to drink water before also...3 miles is not bad...you just have to push yourself...when it hurts that is just your body lactic acid...if you keep going it stops hurting your body just kind of goes numb. Running is such a head game...if you keep saying its impossible i promise you won't do it...be positive. picture finishing that shiznat in record time...everytime you run picture making across with a good time. thats what i do.

cwyx

Sounds good to me...ill be running tomorrow again hopefully further and stronger. I agree that it is a head game, and im not convincing myself i can do it...Thanks for the advice guys.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I've posted this many times before: Don't overtrain either. If you arrive at OCS with a high potential for injury, say, stress fractures, you'll probably get them. If your muscles are shot, they absorb less impact, and the jolt goes straight to the bone, which cracks. Sucks. They send you home for it.

Just be careful. I pushed myself way too hard way too quickly, and ended up coming home. Now I'm worried about keeping my NFO contract when I go back.

And, no, it's not just you. Runnings sucks for certain people. It's always been my weakpoint. Just be sure you increase workload in a steady, incremental fashion, and if you hurt yourself, let it heal properly before you start hitting it again.

Maybe I should write an essay about this and just copy-paste it every time it comes up? :icon_tong

thull

3 weeks to a month eh? Okay, week one, run SLOWLY. so slowly, in fact, that there is really no risk of becoming winded. rediculously slowly. the key is to get DISTANCE under your belt. cover ground. by the end of the week, you should be able to run 5 + miles no problem, be it slowly.

week two, continue with rediculously slow, longer runs, but throw in some "pickups" from 100 to 400 yards, followed by dropping back to your very slow pace. do this as often as you can, without killing yourself of course. runs should be 3-5 miles.

week three, continue with rediculously slow runs (you'll probably be getting faster by now) but on day two, one mile warm-up and do three one-mile repeats. pace yourself, and do them as consistently as possible, at your fastest pace (use good shoes and soft ground if possible - don't get injured!) by the third mile you'll probably be dying, but get it done. then one or two miles rediculously slow cool down.

next day 3 miles, easy.

next day 5 miles, with the middle three miles hard (80 - 90%), the first and last mile super easy.

next day three miles, easy. at the end of the run, find a field and do sprint drills up and down, 5 or ten times.

next day off, light biking, maybe a small hike.

PFT: warm up super slow for a mile, stretch a bit w/ deep breathing, then bust it out.

YOU CAN DO IT!! :)

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Looks like a great program. I should have followed something like that when I started.