• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it easier for Marines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
GTodd said:
It is a proven fact that tests do not show how inteligent an individual is. The USMC know that. So the Marines concider the whole applicant kind of like West Point and Annapolis. It isnt the 1600 sat kids that get in, but the Varsity athleets with B averages and community service.

Whoa, apparently it isn't the ones with spelling and grammar applying now, either. We be gettin' us a boomstick when we's joins the Mareens!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It has been proven that tests do no show how [intelligent] an individual is?

I didn't know that that was even a provable hypothesis.

Is this scientific proof, with valid controls in place and a measurable result?

Or is this "sociology-style" proof, with political correctness and a spirit of "not hurting anyone's feelings" firmly in place?

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
I think the only thing proven is that Airwarriors would benefit (well, a lot of posting parties would) if it included a built-in spell check.

My 6 bits on the ORIGINAL Q:
I've been hearing on the LCpl Underground, or the Backbone Grapevine, or whatever you want to call "rumor-central" independent of the literary musings on this forum, that the USMC is getting pretty pressed for air contracts for the next one or two years, in contrast with the opposite number-crunching that the Navy is faced with this year. Thus the apparent difference in competitiveness for PLC vs. BDCP air contracts right now. Obviously things in DoD are in constant flux.
Let me reiterate that they're RUMORS that I've heard that might explain the above observed phenomenon.
To give the dead horse yet another wallop on its metaphorical ass, however, the standards of the USMC itself will insure that anyone knocking on its door purely for ease of entrance may find themselves right back out on the porch after a pleasant conversation with a SI or two.
Just a friendly warning to any Devildog hopeful...

GTodd

Yeah yeah I know my typing and spelling sucks, sorry guys. I read a thread, post and leave sorry for the bad spelling. To buisy getting ready to go back. My bad. But I am always thankful for the corections.

Mayday is right anyone who is trying to get into the Marines because it is easier is going to get a hard awakening. A couple candidates in my plt thought it would be a cake walk, they were just hiding and sliding waiting for flight school, they were either sent home or left for home in the third week. I guarantee that if you are joining just so that you can be a pilot than the Marines will wash you out. You are going to have to want to be a MArine. Wanting to be a MArine is the only thing that will keep you going.

And to answer Hueycobra, yes it has been proven. ONe of my degrees is in education and ther profs would always reiterate that testing is BUT one way, not the only way to judge an individuals ability to learn and retain information, ie inteligence. That is why OCS isnt full of 1600 SAT pt gods/nerds running around. Now dont get me wrong there are a few, they are called lawyers. Most Candidates are the all arounders who can pull off a 280 or so pft, scored a 3.0 through college, and played a varsity sport.

Hey just make sure you want to be a Marine. Or they will find a way.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
I hate to keep ragging but... dude, you write like that and yet have a degree in education?
I suppose there are stranger things in the world.
I apologize, I just find it a little amusing this time of day.

KBayDog

Mayday said:
Airwarriors would benefit (well, a lot of posting parties would) if it included a built-in spell check.

Nope. Spell checks are a terrible crutch that mask, but do not fix, the problem - the basic inability to spell. Spell checks also miss words that are spelled correctly, but are incorrectly used in the text (such as homonyms, or words that are misspelled at the time but "accidentally" correctly spell other words).

Airwarriors, and a lot of posting parties, would benefit if people would simply learn how to spell. If there are any questions, Merriam-Webster makes a GREAT spell check. Proper spelling and grammar are signs of professionalism, and are expected of officers. (Perhaps that is why the grammar classes are given during Zero week of TBS - so you have no excuses!) In any event, if you know that spelling and grammar are your weak points, it would behoove you to take the initiative to correct them.

Then again, Professor KBay realizes that this is not a Naval writing class. It shouldn't be a big deal on Airwarriors.

GTodd

Yeah, I do have a degree in education; Math, so lets compare once we get to flight!!!!!!

And I am not giving out orders to a Plt. and it was a quck post. SO hows aboot (joke) we stop jacking this guys thread and answer a freakin' question. Spelling is my weak point, helps to prove the all around ability seeing how I have been selected.

Xeo111

Sorry to butt in, guys, but just so I can mouth off at 8:15 in the AM, I think I'd have to agree with KBay. Correct spelling and grammar are one of the key indicators of one's level of professionalism, and while I know mine isn't perfect, either, I do make a sincere effort during posts, IM conversations, e-mails, etc.

Look, we at Airwarriors are representatives of our chosen services, and there are a lot of people who come here looking for information about joining up. I think we owe it to them and to the Navy/Marine Corps to be professional in our conduct at all times. It's annoying enough as it is hearing from friends/family/complete strangers "Oh, he's a Marine, that's not exactly rocket science..." or "I respect what you do, but *I* want to do something that will utililze *my* talents to their full potential...so I'm a business major." (Not to offend anyone here who's majoring in business...'cause I'm a business major too =P)

A typo here or there is not a big deal, btu to wriet lik this constntly is a poor reflction o f teh high standrd of marine corps officer training and basically makes us all look bad. We need to maintain that standard even when shooting quick posts to each other, or sending IMs to each other. How strange would it be if I were speaking with lieutenants at TBS or the fleet and they were typing like 13 year-olds?

Not to be an ass, GTodd, but I think that's why the other folks here were hounding you.

perchul

I certainly agree with Kbay's point and thoroughly intend and buying a Bedford handbook for writers once again, but now your just beating a dead horse. Seriously you went to the first half of PLC so you know that the D.I.s can't spell or write for ****..I got enough chits to prove it. It does show professionalism, but despite what you think we are not representatives of our branches. This is an informal site, one not supported by our branches. Go tell Sergeant Instructor mean man that you are a representative of the USMC at second increment and see what happens. I'm sure you get my point now; I agree with your points to an extent but if we're going to harp on Gtodd it should be because he once taught our nations youth and thats funny.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
While we're at it, apostrophes don't mean "look! here comes an 's'!" It's a little bit of a pet peeve of mine. It get's really annoying when people use apostrophe's for plural's and other retarded reason's. Learn to use it correctly or leave that key alone.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'm going to disagree with Perchul on this. While this site is dedicated largely to the discussion of military topics relating to flight, it is open to the general public and there are alot of civilians lurking here. Therefore, even as candidates or selectees, we are representing our respective branches to them. The words coming out my nasty candidate sewer might be the only exposure to the military they have so it would behoove me to have those words be well chosen and grammatically correct. When in other strictly military environments there is no problem with a bit of grammatical informality, especially for staff members teaching Marine Corps candidates how to be leaders and killers, not spelling bee champs.

perchul

DocT I see completely where your coming from and its a valid point, what I'm trying to get at is that the branches don't condone us as representatives of them. A simple case study of General Mattis's comments would elucidate both our points. The Marine Corps said that his comments do not reflect the beliefs of the Marines, however he got into hot water because while he does not represent the Marines it can be percieved by many that he does.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I would certainly agree. I'm not a Marine Corps spokesman...hell I'm not even a Marine yet, but to people who know less than I do may percieve me as one. I try to keep my comments to what my experiences have been, and I will usually caveat that with "I don't know sh!t yet, but...".

l7le

I heard someone ask which was easier once, the Marines or the Navy. And he replied, "You don't want a Marine 2nd Lt. as JOOD (Junior Officer of the Deck) and you don't want a Navy Ensign leading a platoon. Both would have a hard time doing the other's job."

Status
Not open for further replies.