• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it easier for Marines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
I'v been looking at some of the GPAs/scores/stats for the marine ocs applicants, and I have to admit, i'm kindof surprised at how low some of them are. No offense (i'm low too, that's why i'm asking), but it SEEMS like the case that its easier to get a flight spot with them, just tougher to keep cuz its Marines?? Am I way off? If so, please explain some of the low numbers i'm seeing in the OCS 187 thread.

magro

i think you are mistaken. Yes, some of the GPAs seem kinda low, but that is a small portion of the application process. Your application takes into account your GPA, ASTB, PFT, leadership experience, letters of recommendation, waivers, and your relationship with your OSO. I think if you are weak in one area then you are able to make up for it with the other parts of the application. Notice in the stats that those with low GPAs have excellent PFT scores.

reapergm

Some people have too much fun in college. Some realize that mistake. Like magro said, there are other ways to show that you are well rounded. Some of these guys (myself included) with low GPAs have had semesters with 3.5-4.0, or excelled in other areas. Doesnt meant that they are less intelligent, or that they lack leadership potential. If I knew there was an excellent pilot ,with years experience in the Marines, who once messed up in college.. I wouldnt care. People are young, people make mistakes. I think that the board realizes that. Its also a time of war. The board sees brave young people doing everything they can do to get the chance to serve as officers. OCS is what is supposed to "evaluate".
-Oh, and my PFT is currently 295 and rising....

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Oh, and why have i not seen any OAR scores on those stats, ony asvab? see OAR is where i'm weakest. if there's another route that doesn't involve that, i'd be interested to know. and what basically, does PLc involve? sounds interesting.

bighuggies

Jetjock863 said:
so are most of these potential marine ocs guys already enlisted? and what is an OSO?

OSO = Officer Selection Office. It's the officer and his assistant (usually a staff to gunnery sargeant) that puts your application through.

Most OCS are college graduates with no prior military experience.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
but it SEEMS like the case that its easier to get a flight spot with them, just tougher to keep cuz its Marines??
Maybe it is a "little easier" picking up a Marine OCS slot (flight or ground), but actually being a Marine Officer is tough.

It goes beyond the physical, mental, academic and your main duties.

SJHipple

USMCBebop said:
Maybe it is a "little easier" picking up a Marine OCS slot (flight or ground), but actually being a Marine Officer is tough.

It goes beyond the physical, mental, academic and your main duties.

Why is it tough? More so than being an officer in other branches? Could you explain a little? Thanks!

perchul

Easier is a horrible term in this case, first of all many officers in other branches won't even qualify to apply to OCS. Most people can't do a 3 mile run in 24 minutes. The reason why a person may view USMC standards as easier is because they only focus on GPA, ASTB qualifying scores for pilots used to and still may be higher then those required for the Navy. I think the question should be why does it seem so much harder to become a Marine Officer with the exception of GPA.

GTodd

It is a proven fact that tests do not show how inteligent an individual is. The USMC know that. So the Marines concider the whole applicant kind of like West Point and Annapolis. It isnt the 1600 sat kids that get in, but the Varsity athleets with B averages and community service.

perchul

Well Gtodd knows as well as I do that OCS gets its fair share of uber students to. In my platoon there was 1 artificial intel guy from princeton, another comp sci guy from Stanford plus some smatter of other elite schools like Notre Dame...oh and of course UF :icon_wink

HueyCobra8151

pilot
PFT aside, it is also harder to be a Marine Officer simply because of the ratio of enlisted to officer.

The Marine Corps has 8.39 enlisted Marines for every one officer.

The Army has 5.27, the Air Force 5.6 and the Navy 6.0

SJHipple

JMWSemperFi...thanks for the answer. Basically, I'm hearing that there's more schooling and higher physical standards.

If you don't mind me asking another question, what kind of officer jobs are there? My impression is that most of them are infantry leadership roles...what does that entail? I'm asking because I'm talking seriously to a USMC officer recruiter right now.

peanut3479

pilot
The infantry is the backbone of the Marine Corps, but there are a lot of other supporting roles. Obviously, there's aviation (Aviator and Flight Officer); there's combined arms (tanks, AAVs, artillery), logistics, supply, intel, admin., law, etc. There's something like 23 or 24 different MOSs available to male Marine officers (fewer for females). If you're talking to an OSO, ask him/her - they can give you the specifics on MOSs.

KBayDog

Bear in mind that there are COUNTLESS billets and other assignments that may have nothing to do with your assigned MOS. The opportunities are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.