• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR it is !!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just counted up my fingers ... it was more like 36 months that I was a 'street person', vice 24 ... and yes, I have lots of fingers. Thalidomide ... or LSD ... or whatever.

Anyway you look at it -- IRR or the K-Mart @ PCOLA ... you've still got a plan, a job, a potential career.

That's better than 95++ of your egg-sucking civvie-street contemporaries.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Am I the only one who noticed the OP never complained about this? Just reporting what was going on? Either way, not a terrible deal. I'd have taken four months at home vs PCola if I could go back and do it again.

Yeah, I noticed that to. I just put the "chin up thing" in there because, well... it sounds a lot better than kicking the kid when he's down.

Seriously, OP, tear it up back home, enjoy not paying rent, and eat all the homecooked meals you can.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
That might be an option for him/her it might not.

Sucks that IRR is the way things are going, but such is the way of the world.

I have to give props to SynixMan, I dont think the OP did a great deal of complaining... I mean I know that I would be disappointed so I assume he/she is as well, and apart from the lack of detail, props also to the OP for not being all woe is me about it.

The USMC and USAF have been doing this for a while, and from a money stand point it makes a great deal of sense... Kind of surprising the Navy has taken this long.

As for the USAA deal I dont know if they are going to make an deals, but I do know the loan doesn't go into repayment until 90 days from your commissioning date. So you have some time to get the ducks in a row before you have to make those payments.

For those of you in this position, consider bouncing at a bar. Its usually decent money, bars usually like to hear 'military', and they are usually pretty flexible.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I get it: it's hard. Life is not 'fair'.

But you mean guys can't survive for 4-5 months out of pocket ??? I'm sure USAA could cut some kind of 'grace period' when/if they know the situation ...

But even if not: I've been furloughed from the airlines 3 times and had one airline get shot out from under me ... + 1 strike. That translates into @ 24+ months on the street (or the IRR, if you prefer) ... w/ no pay, no bennies ... just bills, a family, and a mortgage. And you guys can't make it for 4+ months ... ???

If so, you're overextended ... and you (whomever) did it to yourself.

Cry me a river.

Agreed. The MIDN knew this was potentially happening almost 6 months ago, so they've had plenty of time to prepare for it. In any case, I'm sure they'll make the best of it.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The Navy has never put kids from NROTC straight into IRR before. It's unprecedented. It sucks. Unfortunately, there's jack shit anyone can do about it.

Nope, not unprecedented - it happened to several folks I know in the 1987 timeframe. They graduated, got commissioned and then IRR non-pay for their pool time until AI.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nope, not unprecedented - it happened to several folks I know in the 1987 timeframe. They graduated, got commissioned and then IRR non-pay for their pool time until AI.

It also happened in '92-ish timeframe. They even did it for GURL types, back when they had that.

I'm with Synix, though. I haven't heard anyone complain. I just think the forum has been fairly uneventful lately and A4s has undirected energy. Smiles if I did that sort of thing.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
It also happened in '92-ish timeframe. They even did it for GURL types, back when they had that.

I'm with Synix, though. I haven't heard anyone complain. I just think the forum has been fairly uneventful lately and A4s has undirected energy. Smiles if I did that sort of thing.

They did it in '93 as well... Some folks were able to trade with others that wanted the delay to go to Grad School.. The irony is those of us that floated pool to pool (on Active Duty) started flight school later than most of the delayed folks.. YMMV

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. The MIDN knew this was potentially happening almost 6 months ago, so they've had plenty of time to prepare for it. In any case, I'm sure they'll make the best of it.
Roger that; agreed as well. If nothing else, Naval Aviators are 'survivors'.

For the record, all ... I wasn't 'bashing' anyone including the OP -- I never do, right :))) ... right ??? RIGHT ??? -- but I was using your post, wlawr005, as a launching pad to try to transmit a larger 'life lesson' to anyone who had ears to hear and cared to listen.

I've been burned more than once and had to suck it up and forage' for myself -- sans paycheck and/or 'bennies'. I had to survive ... and for a lot more than 4 months.

Same for HAL, CAT-man, and many other ol' guys who have been down the 'road of life' that many of you have yet to travel ... :)

Courage ... there's a light at the end. Hopefully, it's not the proverbial freight train ...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the Air Force and the Army guys from my school this was the standard, they were in the IRR from the time they graduated until they went to their initial schooling. Some found jobs, some found trouble and some found wives. Frankly I am surprised it has taken the Navy to do this again, makes pretty good sense form the big picture aspect of things.

haubby

None
Contributor
We've even got a SWO guy here who has been selected for IRR. Apparently its not limited to the aviation community.

MasterBates

If it's ROTC.. Scholarship guys should be OK provided they did not get into stupid debt in school..

OCS guys or any ROTC guys who "paid their way".. It could get rough if it starts being "Commission from OCS and wait 6+ months to get paid"..

I had $1000/mo in student loans when I commissioned.. And they started coming due when I was at OCS. I think normal repayment is 60 days post graduation.

Not a huge issue NOW, but there may be some OCS/BDCP guys hurting if it spreads there.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Never heard of OCS guys going IRR, only NROTC. Have OCSers ever gone IRR after commissioning?