• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iraq Medal of Honor Nominee

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
Right on. I had a job once where I was charged with around 220 men and women. I asked myself the same self-doubting questions you are. I just tried to remain truthful to myself. I can not be a friend to 220 people, nor is that my charge. I did try and get to know as many as I could. I also knew what I expected from them (and I tried to convey that to them - noone likes to guess at their responsibilities). I had a plan for my department based on what I thought was important from my experiences (It may sound corny but becoming a writer is not a bad call - your own history, things you have read or experienced). I tried to figure out what they expected of me (I asked them). I praised in public and scolded in private. I never assumed I knew the whole story, and I realized that I didn't need to. I looked after my folks down the chain to those up the chain - when someone's actions produced a result which cost the command, I paid... that was a big part of my responsibility. I have a family, I tried to remember that many who worked for me did also. I ran the department differently than the man before me and the one after. Everyone brings to the table what they bring. I'm sure you will bring a lot.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
A4sForever said:
Administrative medal inflation rearing it's ugly head while heroic men/women go packing ?? Maybe some of you-all can enlighten me ... an older, slightly less bolder ..... ??

I fear you've raised a question often on the lips of Marines, A4's. I tend to cubbyhole the problem as the difference between services, though I know it's not completely accurate or correct.
But take for example the Air Farce. The pilots of "non-tactical" aircraft (read - anything but F-16's and 15's) automatically recieve a distinguished flying cross if their RWR or any similar ECM system goes off. They don't even have to confirm a missle launch, or even follow through with evasive maneuvers (though they always do, and talk it up later). And any of you pilots out there if you've done a tour or two can confirm what I've heard, that the sucker goes off just from detecting a burning oil well. When OIF kicked off the AF tankers stayed at minimum 300 miles from the combat zone, out over the water, and yet they got DFC's for the above occurence. Meanwhile you've got Marine C-130 pilots in the combat zone at 300ft AGL, on NVG's in total pitch blackness, actually dodging AAA and non-guided SAM launches, risking hits from small arms fire, landing on an unmentionable strip that was captured less than 2 hours previously and is still under attack... and they don't get a damn thing, not so much as a NavyComm w/ V or anything.
I could go on and on, like the sailors I've worked with (who I have nothing against) who recieve bi-annual NAMs for absolutely nothing because if they didn't then it would be percieved that they'd "done something wrong."

Xeo111

I guess it's up to the individual to figure out why they're in uniform. If it's for the medals, well...they're pretty and shiney and you could buy them.

But I don't think most people join for the medals. I think they join for 'something else.' And I think that's why you get guys like Lt. (now a captain I believe) Chontosh (we learned about him, too at OCS) and 1stSgt Kasal.

There's more to service than how big your salad bar is. At least, that's how I feel about it, and I hope most others feel the same way.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
It's not that anyone's in it for the medals. Of course it begins to sound like it when one addresses the issue of "administrative award inflation," but don't be confused. We're all just waiting to see the results of the actions of heroes like 1stSgt Kasal and then-Lt. Chontosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.