• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iraq Medal of Honor Nominee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
usmc1stsgtbradkasal2kl.jpg

Marine First Sergeant Brad Kasal (center). This photo is from the most recent major offensive in Fallujah. Sgt. Kasal sacrificed his own safety to save a room full of fellow Marines. He ended up taking several AK rounds in the leg. Most of his lower leg was blown away but you can't tell it from this photo. He took rounds in the back, from which his armor saved him. He took one round through his butt which passed through both cheeks, leaving 4 holes in him. And he also took the brunt of a grenade blast. He jumped on top of a younger Marine to cover him from the fire. He killed the terrorist who did most of the damage to him and his men, and despite a massive loss of blood he never stopped fighting. Notice that he's still holding his 9mm pistol. First Sergeant Kasal has been recommended for the Medal of Honor for his actions on that day. He already has several Purple Hearts for previous battles throughout his career and he has turned down others so he could stay with his unit. While in the hospital he met President Bush, Donald Rumsfeld and several other celebrities. He said that President Bush came in by himself and had a very long, sincere, and friendly visit with him.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
'bout damn time! I'm sure there are many unsung heroes from both OIF and OEF. I sure hope to see more honored with a MOH.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn. Sounds like he's a shoe-in for a Navy Cross at least. Hope at any rate he recovers as well as he can.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
desert fox said:
I definitely agree, it was just a comment that the part of the above story left out was the end line that had something to do with an anti-Clinton editorial, and how much better of a president we have now who meets with these guys one-on-one...not that I'm pro-Clinton, but geez, can't we give the guy his props on national TV or something and not in a civilian secretary's mass e-mail?

I was not aware of any other lines to the article. Got this off another forum.

Blah blah blah.

Xeo111

I read stories like that, and as a officer candidate, all I can think is "how the hell am I going to lead people like that?"

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
I applaud you for considering it. Many who are in positions of leadership still don't give your question much thought. Keep thinking about it. Read what others have done.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Xeo111 said:
I read stories like that, and as a officer candidate, all I can think is "how the hell am I going to lead people like that?"

Guys like that are actually asier to lead than the trouble makers in many ways. A good SNCO will teach you a lot and always make it look like it was your idea to the troops. You will learn a lot from them however keep tabs on what is going on and ask questions if something doesnt seem right and dont be afraid to do something different that what they suggest when the situation warrants. It is good that youa re reflecting on this good luck

KBayDog

I had the privilege of meeting 1stSgt Kasal in Bethesda. He is every bit the man the articles make him out to be. From what I understand, he is back in Pendleton right now (still rehabbing a VERY bad leg).

bubba716

We should all be thankful for those men and women on the ground, in the air and on the sea. It is because of those people that we have the freedoms that we all share and take for granted every day. Hopefully one day the media and the nation will come to realize the sacrifices that these people make on a day to day basis.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Throughout the process, the military keeps nominations hushed to avoid disappointment or embarrassment to the family if the award is not approved, Dowling said

....and I think i read somewhere that it is Marine Corps Policy not to comment before any award is presented. That and the above quote from the link DF posted should explain it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You must remember that this is a REPORTER who wrote this story....Who knows. You must always remember that MCTimes does not equal Marine Corps.....
ea6bflyr

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
True dat. Still, does it seem to anyone else that the bar for the Medal has been raised so high that's it's virtually impossible to live and receive it? Heard tell of a Marine Lt who charged an Iraqi ambush and saved his Humvee column, and received the Navy Cross. Not to lessen the Navy Cross, and obviously I'm not privy to the whole story, but based on the account I read, it seemed like if he'd died or been seriously wounded he would have earned the Medal.
In that vein, were the two Delta snipers in Mogadishu the last recipients? Have there been any from Afghanistan?

Xeo111

Thanks for the advice Skidkid and TransvesFO. It's definately something that weighs heavy on my mind. I guess shutting my mouth and opening my ears is a good start.

I just worry about being the LT who fails his Marines, and I suppose that makes me pretty much the same as every other officer candidate.

Cheers.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Look at the Sgt --- he can't even walk out and he is still clutching his Beretta 9mm while being carried out, for Petes's sake --- (and not joking here) WHERE DO WE GET SUCH MEN ????

From what I read about Brian Chontosh (sp?) -- he also should have been looking at a MOH. What does it take, nowdays?? I am suprised to see how few "high" awards have come down as a result of OIF. I see uniforms hanging in the gym locker room @ NAS with twice the rows of ribbons than 2-3 cruise Vietnam combat aviators sported --- and I know subject sailors have been ship-bound all the time. What's up?

Administrative medal inflation rearing it's ugly head while heroic men/women go packing ?? Maybe some of you-all can enlighten me ... an older, slightly less bolder ..... ??

Which is it ... ??

Ribbons.jpg
OR .... ???
organza_ribbons350.gif

(Edit: better medal pix)

Status
Not open for further replies.