• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Detains 10 U.S. Navy Personnel

Hair Warrior

Contributor
LORAN Baby........got me within 50 yards of my waypoint, with no fuckups. :D
If Iran can (purportedly) spoof the sat signal of an RQ-170 and deceive it to land at a different "home" airfield inside Iran, I think they'd be able to spoof some World War II-era radio wave technology.

jmcquate

Contributor
If Iran can (purportedly) spoof the sat signal of an RQ-170 and deceive it to land at a different "home" airfield inside Iran, I think they'd be able to spoof some World War II-era radio wave technology.
Lighten up Francis............it was a joke. I never used it flying (all civilian) but did use LORAN for nav on racing yachts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Read about an interesting study last year about cab drivers and how using/not using a GPS device helped them learn the city they drive in.
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014...ht-never-get-any-better-at-navigation/375013/

This may go with the territory for aviator types, but I've always been a bit of a map geek. When I hike, I like to shoot lines of bearing with compass and map to fix my position - same goes for sailing, even though I always have a GPS available. It's a good skill set to maintain. I can also get lost for hours in Google Earth - figuring out my next hike, camping spot, or road trip.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Foredeck is one of my favorite places to be on a sailboat. Action, hustle and high potential for disaster! The spinnaker does not suffer fools easily. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Don't believe everything you read online.

jmcquate

Contributor
Foredeck is one of my favorite places to be on a sailboat. Action, hustle and high potential for disaster! The spinnaker does not suffer fools easily. :D
It took 9 guys to run 25' of the boat and I ran the other 25'. Jibe sets and beam reach kite changes baby. All back when I was young, dumb, and fearless.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am amused by the conspiracy theorists who think there was a lot more to it than just some guys getting lost, not surprising few have ever navigated anything beyond their neighborhoods or interstates,

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I am amused by the conspiracy theorists who think there was a lot more to it than just some guys getting lost, not surprising few have ever navigated anything beyond their neighborhoods or interstates,
Agreed sir. Also, I am not sure the DoD or DHS would have acted so differently if a pair of Iranian high speed gun boats were found just idling in territorial waters near a U.S. military installation while appearing to address a mechanical/navigational issue.

Mistakes were made. Apologies may or may not be warranted. Everyone seemed to act professionally. And, mercifully, this minor incident almost seemed to be a catalyst for a much more significant, rapid detente between the U.S. and Iran (which must have already been in the works for some time).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
"Sir the falafal was just awful...., but they were pretty cool - except for that one bearded guy. Hey is it ok if we stay buddies with these guys on FB"?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 11.28.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 11.28.58 AM.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 62

azguy

None
"Sir the falafal was just awful...., but they were pretty cool - except for that one bearded guy. Hey is it ok if we stay buddies with these guys on FB"?

Wow, they've been sent home. However you feel about these guys and this incident, let's hope that they are dealt with - be it rewarded or punished- in a fair and objective way, and not made pawns of a political agenda.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
...let's hope that they are dealt with - be it rewarded or punished- in a fair and objective way, and not made pawns of a political agenda.

Don't worry. They'll be the butt of jokes around squadron workspaces for quite a while... :)

azguy

None
Don't worry. They'll be the butt of jokes around squadron workspaces for quite a while... :)

Yeah, no doubt :D

I am just thinking back to the CO of VINCENNES and the aircraft commander of the EP-3 that landed on Hainan Island. In both of those cases I think political considerations may have trumped fairness in how those men were dealt with.

jmcquate

Contributor
The picnic footage has prompted some eyebrow raising with certain commands and agencies. Time will tell in anything comes from it.