• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

iPod is totally worth it

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Hey I just got the new NikeiPod wireless chip for my shoe and it’s amazing. Have you guys heard about it? You plug the wireless receiver into your iPod nano (has to be a nano…) and it gives tons of feedback during your workouts.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/
After the workout you can sync your ipod and upload your workout results to nike.com and it tracks your runs and displays all sorts of data. It’s just a cool way to keep up with your progress and keep track of your pace during a run. It’s not that expensive either, like $30 or so without a military discount. Good luck with your running and hope yall find this as helpful as I have.
-Mike

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey I just got the new NikeiPod wireless chip for my shoe and it’s amazing. Have you guys heard about it? You plug the wireless receiver into your iPod nano (has to be a nano…) and it gives tons of feedback during your workouts.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/
After the workout you can sync your ipod and upload your workout results to nike.com and it tracks your runs and displays all sorts of data. It’s just a cool way to keep up with your progress and keep track of your pace during a run. It’s not that expensive either, like $30 or so without a military discount. Good luck with your running and hope yall find this as helpful as I have.
-Mike

How well does it work and how accurate is it if you don't use the Nike running shoes? I'm kind of a New Balance fan myself.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
I bought it and it's not accurate at all. You can calibrate it, but I still find that the mileage is off by a fair amount and all other calculations stem from that. It's good if you just want a rough idea about how fast and far you are running, for a more accurate picture you can't get better than GPS (or http://www.usatf.org/routes/) and a stopwatch.

Brooks are the best shoes you can buy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think everyone should be able to hack a 1.5 or 3 mile run sans tunes. Just on principle. Do we need soundtracks for everything? Do you people have a cassette player on your kneeboards like Iron Eagle? I know I can only smoke bandits with '80's glam metal playing, myself.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I bought it and it's not accurate at all. You can calibrate it, but I still find that the mileage is off by a fair amount and all other calculations stem from that. It's good if you just want a rough idea about how fast and far you are running, for a more accurate picture you can't get better than GPS (or http://www.usatf.org/routes/) and a stopwatch.

Brooks are the best shoes you can buy.

Thanks for the tip. Great website too.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I've ran about 7 runs with my Nike+iPod setup, several of which were on a track where I tested it's accuracy. I found it to be accurate within around 100-200 feet. Not bad for a mile, at least thought. Haven't tried it with anything but Nike shoes, I'm sure something can be rigged up though.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
So is everyone using the I-pod? I'm still holding out for something cheaper to come along (sub-$100). I can't seem to justify it yet. I still carry a walkman/tape deck occasionally when I run, talking about old school!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So is everyone using the I-pod? I'm still holding out for something cheaper to come along (sub-$100). I can't seem to justify it yet. I still carry a walkman/tape deck occasionally when I run, talking about old school!

Is this you??? ;):D
pic5.jpg

helo_wifey

That's what the shuffle is for...unless you're running an ultramarathon I don't think you'll need any more than that.

*This coming from someone who between me and my husband have 6 ipods...:eek:*

helo_wifey

wow..... and I thought having two was rediculous

We both had mini's before we got married, now both have shuffles and videos. When we both usually travel and work out at different times and different places, so it just seemed worth it. But we also are a dual income household...it takes the strain off of buying "fun" things

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I'll play devil's advocate and pass. Any other MP3 player can give you just as much of the same and you don't pay for memory space you'll never utilize. Let us not forget the song and dance replacing its batteries can be. Apple offers a program where you can mail off the ipod and replace the battery for like 59 bucks + S&H, but the whole thing is a little much where any other MP3 can use simple rechargeable AAA batteries.

Definitely. I picked up a Sony S2 2GB the other day, very much behind the 8-ball as well, but am very happy training with one now. It cost 80.00, the price range I was interested in, and compared to the ipod shuffle and to an extent the nano, the features blow it out of the water, i.e. picking songs that match the pace of your running. Maybe I'm not chic enough for an ipod, but there are much better players for the money.

Srtitan89

If you want something very cheap, just buy a shuffle - they are $50 at Wal-Mart. I clip it onto my belt loop a lot and wear it around all day without even knowing it's there because it is so light and small.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
That's what the shuffle is for...unless you're running an ultramarathon I don't think you'll need any more than that.

*This coming from someone who between me and my husband have 6 ipods...:eek:*

Agreed. I had a video iPod and the armband case. A 12 mile run and some sweat later and I was out a bit of water and a $300 ipod. My shuffle on the other hand, has yet to fail me.