• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

INTRUDER - Black Monday

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Sounds good to me. I saw Webmaster on here the other day, so I know he can occasionally tear himself away from his Hinge duties, so maybe he can make it happen.

On deployment, flying operationally and only having a 256 Kbit connection... War is hell.

Does he have to go down to the ship's library and wait in line to use the Internet too???

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And then BZB can tell us about landing on the Lexington... And I mean CV-2, not CV-16!

Per your request...not quite CV-2 or CV-16, but USS ANTIETAM (CV-34)! 10-16 Dec. '57 FCLP Barin.
Initial Qual: 17 Dec. '57, T-28 out of Barin Field, Paddles controlled-LSO LT Lloyd Burris,
8 Traps & 8 Deck Launches. Gr8 fun!:D

*Found out the hard way that wildly waving of paddles & kicking of legs, was not the LSO's expressions of joy!
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Per your request...not quite CV-2 or CV-16, but USS ANTIETAM (CV-34)! 10-16 Dec. '57 FCLP Barin.
Initial Qual: 17 Dec. '57, T-28 out of Barin Field, Paddles controlled-LSO LT Lloyd Burris,

BzB
USS Antietam? Wow, nice! ... but a decade before me when I later caught the Lexington, and even later the Hornet......

USS Lexington – 5/21/69 4 traps, 2 T&Gs, 1 bolter, T-2B in VT-4

USS Hornet - 9/26/69 [Soon after the Apollo 11 recovery] 3 traps, 1 T&G, no bolters, qualed early in a TF-9J with VT-24 in Beeville, TX. (Deteriorating) Wooden deck, and hard, head slamming hydraulic catapults vice steam!

Lady Lex in the yards. Hornet decommissioned shortly thereafter.

lex1.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Sounds good to me. I saw Webmaster on here the other day, so I know he can occasionally tear himself away from his Hinge duties, so maybe he can make it happen.

On deployment, flying operationally and only having a 256 Kbit connection... War is hell.

He's probably in the better people's club, sucking down mai tai's and enjoying that sweet sweet high speed wi fi.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor

*Found out the hard way that wildly waving of paddles & kicking of legs, was not the LSO's expressions of joy!BzB

Hugh...better check your logbook. :) Antietam was CVS-36...Oriskany was CVS-34. My initial qual, in a T-28 (VT-whatever), was eight traps May 4, 1962 on Antietam...qualified later in the Spad (VT-30) Sept 12, 1962...Antietam again!

Oriskany was sunk as a dive attraction off P'Cola...Antietam sold for scrap in 1974.

blackbart22

pilot
Qualed on the Antietum in Oct of '59 with paddles in a T-28C. 2 T&G, 6 traps and 1 bolter (first of many). Still remember the LSO call "Cleared to lower your hook." We were flying out of Bronson Field, allthough we occasionally bounced at Bloody Barin. Qualed in the AD-6 in ATU-301 in June of '60.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

*Found out the hard way that wildly waving of paddles & kicking of legs, was not the LSO's expressions of joy!
BzB
I know it isn't CQ- but something that really makes me feel part of the Naval Aviation community is that I did my first solo in a T-34c at Barin (from Whiting) last year. To think that 50+ years prior guys were flying out of there to CQ is pretty surreal. You guys can call me stupid, ghey, dumb yout, a dreamer, whatever, but the bottom line is that field has some history to it and I'm damn proud to be a part of it.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys can call me stupid, ghey, dumb yout, a dreamer, whatever, but the bottom line is that field has some history to it and I'm damn proud to be a part of it.

Nah, not stupid, ghey or dumb...etc., I have fond memories of Barin. Only there for about six weeks (CQ & A/A gunnery), but it was more relaxed (for NAVCADs) away from the VT "front office" at Whiting, sort of like a Sqdn Det. Had a small AV. Cadet Club (ACRAC) there where some local Honeys hung out. We would give them our FCLP time periods the prior evening & 5 or 6 of them would magically appear, standing amongst the pines on the downwind leg the next morning. We flew the pattern at 300'+- w/ canopy open. As each of us approached the 180, the Ladies would wave to us & we'd wave back. It was sort of a Romeo & Juliet ballet (only we were on the "balcony" !). They remind me now, of the "NA Husband Hunters" in the movie An Officer & A Gentleman. In the debrief, our LSO LT Burris would look at us, kinda smile, shake his head and roll his eyes :rolleyes:....GOOD TIMES!
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nah, not stupid, ghey or dumb...etc., I have fond memories of Barin. Only there for about six weeks (CQ & A/A gunnery), but it was more relaxed (for NAVCADs) away from the VT "front office" at Whiting, sort of like a Sqdn Det. Had a small AV. Cadet Club (ACRAC) there where some local Honeys hung out. We would give them our FCLP time periods the prior evening & 5 or 6 of them would magically appear, standing amongst the pines on the downwind leg the next morning. We flew the pattern at 300'+- w/ canopy open. As each of us approached the 180, the Ladies would wave to us & we'd wave back. It was sort of a Romeo & Juliet ballet (only we were on the "balcony" !). They remind me now, of the "NA Husband Hunters" in the movie An Officer & A Gentleman. In the debrief, our LSO LT Burris would look at us, kinda smile, shake his head and roll his eyes :rolleyes:....GOOD TIMES!
BzB
Darn! Our FCLP group must have really been ugly, or smelled bad or something, 'cause there weren't any young things waving in the pines at us. Either that or I was born a few years later than you and something changed. :(

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Darn! Our FCLP group must have really been ugly, or smelled bad or something, 'cause there weren't any young things waving in the pines at us. Either that or I was born a few years later than you and something changed. :(

Yeah, by the time you got there, they had all roped in AOCs & had 3 kids in diapers! NAVCADs couldn't be married, so we escaped to the fleet as bachelors...:p
BzB

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, by the time you got there, they had all roped in AOCs & had 3 kids in diapers! NAVCADs couldn't be married, so we escaped to the fleet as bachelors...:p
BzB

Not all of us, Hugh...I married the baby's mother within a week of winging...then it was off to JAX and VA-35 for the three of us!! :cool:

Reminds me...I kept a picture of the baby on my dresser in Corpus (advanced)...our Lt. inspector busted my butt every Friday (but very goodnaturedly) about it...he knew damn well I remained unmarried until winging. Good times...:)

blackbart22

pilot
Hell, at least four of my preflight classmates got divorced to come in the program. We started out as an all enlisted NAVCAD class. At that time, the rule was simpely "not married" unlike the midsheeps whose rule was "not married and never have been." At the winging at Corpus every Friday there was always at least one guy who had his wings pinned on by his "sister-in-law , Mrs Smith" who was great with child. Three out of the four divorced guys remarried their exs. The other got a classic "Dear John" (You think more of that damn airplane than you do of me etc.) which he posted on the bullitin board in the Saufley cadet barracks. There was a monthly pool to see who got the best one.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Speaking of young things waving in the pines at us...when I was a JO, my buddy was planning his fini flight and invited the rest of us to ride along to North Myrtle Beach for an out/in. We piled in the back of a Phrog (with an aux tank, of course) for the 2.5 from Norfolk. The long trip was well worth it by the time we landed at Grand Strand because they had a loaner van waiting for us at the FBO and we bolted STRAIGHT to Hooters, flight suits and all (BTW, that location is now a parking lot). Spent about an hour there and just as we were leaving, all the waitresses came over to our table and asked if we would give them a flyby. Seriously, how could we resist? The HAC requested a VFR departure to the Northeast 500' and below and we were off. The Hooters was just outside tower's airspace, so the HAC circled over the Hooters while the rest of us hooked up to gunner's belts to check out our greeting party. For about 10 minutes, nobody inside got any service because all the waitresses were outside waving and jumping. Seriously, it was about the coolest thing I ever saw...