• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview with OSO?

skiptomahlouie

Hi. I'm new to the board. I recently attended my school's job fair and the marines attracted me. So I followed up and called them and I scheduled an appointment with them to learn more about the aviation program. Is this just a casual sit down or should I expect to be interviewed? If so, how should I prepare? Thanks for the input.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
This should just be an initial meeting. Expect it to be casual and come prepared to be completely honest about anything and everything.

Casual does not mean show up in $100 dollar designer jeans with the holes in them, berkinstocks, and a hemp necklace.

Do wear something that shows a lil bit of maturity (polo's, kakhis, button up shirts, belts, decent shoes).

You are not going to be grilled, however first impressions are everything. If you show up being genuinely interested and professional your OSO may be willing to work harder for you down the line.

That all being said,
relax, be honest, and you will do just fine.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
First time I met my first.OSO I was in basketball shorts and a grey sweatshirt looking like a bum, damn I was clueless and stupid back then. Probably will say the same thing in another 4 years. However, I suppose you shouldn't expect much more out of a brand new college frshman. That day he told me about AirWarriors too.

MettGT

pilot
There was a thread on this a while back that discussed this that might help you out. Bottom line, you're looking for a career - act the part. Can't going wrong with a suit/shirt & tie for your initial interview.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I wore jeans and a polo and looked him in the eye. It was very casual and there weren't really any "hard questions."

andy359

I have done the whole process and the first meeting is just an informal sit-down and chat sort of deal, no pressure. But do be on time, be respectfull and show that you have a good attitude. It will help you in the future if you deciede to go through with this because these OSO's do alot fo work for you and the better a candidate you seem to be the quicker and more they will do for you.

Big Biff

Got Em
I've seen OSO's have applicants arrive in business professional (suit and tie) and conduct the interview in a very professional setting. It helps you mentally prepare for the decision. Like was said, you're showing up for a career, dress like it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
80s striped polo, green skivvy undershirt, go-fasters with knee high socks, braided belt, daily haircut, too short khaki shorts and issued aviator sunglasses.

If you want it, better dress the part.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
He wants you to apply as much as you might want to get the spot.

Dress nicely, but a suit is way over the top on this, to the point of shouting "Dork!"

Business casual (khakis and blazer) is probably on the high end, but still appropriate. Good khakis/slacks and polo or button-down are probably about the right level.

Think all-American, J Crew vibe.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
For future reference, you are interested in joining the Marine Corps, not the "marines." A Marine is a member of the Marine Corps.

IMHO, and, as others have stated, you need to look as squared-away as possible when meeting with the OSO.

This means: decent haircut, clean shave, suit/tie, and clean/shined dress-shoes. If you do not own a suit, then wear the nicest stuff you have in your closet.

Carrying yourself in this manner will send a clear and concise message not only to your recruiter, but also to any Enlisted Marines who may be in the office. Namely, that you are serious about becoming a Marine Corps Officer.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I'm in "the Marines." Nothing wrong with writing it as long as it's capitalized.

Again, a suit is over the top.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Really? Like the OSO will kick you out of the office if you don't wear one? I didn't even own a suit when I was applying.

Must have a surplus of potential contracts. I work with a guy who just came off that duty. I think potential applicants just wearing a shirt was good enough for him. He even got his district CO to buy off on him wearing a flight suit in the office and on campus!