• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview with OSO?

skiptomahlouie

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'll go with some slacks, dress shoes, and button-up. I'll tell you guys how it goes with the interview.

takern

good luck with the interview. i had my first meeting with my oso about 3 months ago and wore a blue polo with white undershirt and some clean, dark jeans with a black belt and semi-nice shoes. remember on time is 5 minutes late and 5 minutes early is on time. you will not be grilled, he just wants to see if you are truly interested in the program. be prepared to answer questions like why do you want to be a marine corps officer. bottom line just look him in the eye and tell him the truth. he is just trying to find out what type of person you are. I honestly had fun with him after i got over the initial shock.

oh, one more piece of advice that my dad taught me. he is a ret. col. from the AF and he said when he first met with people he knew if they were what he was looking for by their handshake. make sure it is firm and crisp and look him in the eye and he will notice. i guarentee it. my OSO actually commented on my handshake

jtmedli

pilot
Customs and Courtesies

Hey man, Piece of advice from another candidate and a prior AFROTC guy. Look up Customs and Courtesies online. When you meet your OSO your first conversation should go something like this:

Good Afternoon/Morning/Evening Sir, (Insert Firm Handshake Here)

I am (insert name here). We spoke over the phone and I'm interested in becoming a Naval Aviator in the Marine Corps...

Along with being dressed well that will set a great first impression. I've seen numerous guys/gals come up to my OSO and have no clue how to speak to an officer or how important their first impression with him is...

Good luck with your interview and hope it helps with your decision.

skiptomahlouie

update on my interview

Sorry for the late update. I had the interview last friday. My officer was younger than i thought. He was only 27 and graduated from the naval academy. They showed me a video on OCS which i had already seen on youtube. Then he asked me what I was looking for in the Marine Corps. Had a nice conversation. Then he had me pick 3 tags that had different categories (for example a tag would say something like "patriotism", "travel and adventure", "leadership", discipline", etc.) He asked why I picked those three and told me how the Marine Corps could help me achieve it. Anyways I'm on the path to completing my package. He wants me to do a PFT next week to see what I can improve on. I'm kinda scared about that 3-mile run tho :(. I'll update again next week.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Just run your hardest, show some intestinal fortitude, and you'll be good. Nothing to sweat.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Yep, don't stress it. The first PFT is just used to determine what you have to improve on - if you suck at something, your OSO will most likely have you attend weekly PT sessions to help you. If you show motivation and keep shaving those minutes off, you'll be good to go in his eyes.

FWIW, we had one kid in my office who's first 3-miler was 38 minutes - 4 months later, he's now running it at 22:00 and is attending OCC-201.

TheFurr7198

I dont know what you wore to your interview but next time you see him to really impress him do the following . Make sure you have an old 80's polo with a web belt and tight as hell khakis. Along with square leather shoes other wise known as the TBS special.

skiptomahlouie

Update on my first PFT

15 pull-ups, 100 crunches, 23:07 three-mile run. Total PFT score of 245. Not bad for a first attempt but that 3 mile run is killer. I thought about stopping multiple times but I stuck through it.

foster12

Nice job on the first PFT. I have been training for it going on two weeks now and that is about where I am at. I'm meeting with my OSO tomorrow or wednesday I think. I'm waiting for the local Staff Sgt. to call me back and let me know for sure when the OSO will be in town. Anyways, about the initial meeting, I am going to where slacks, dress shoes, and a shirt and tie. I have a clean cut, pretty short goatee(sp), is this something I should shave off, or not worry too much about it?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a clean cut, pretty short goatee(sp), is this something I should shave off, or not worry too much about it?

If in doubt, shave it. It will be back in no time. You don't want anyone to be distracted by it. That said, my hair was still 70's surfer length when I bumped into an OSO SSGT at school standing in front of a cool F-4 poster. I just wanted the poster, but he got me looking into PLC. I asked him if it mattered about length and he said no. I believed him and never saw any adverse response. A few months later, I was a Camp Upshur (sans hair).

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
15 pull-ups, 100 crunches, 23:07 three-mile run. Total PFT score of 245. Not bad for a first attempt but that 3 mile run is killer. I thought about stopping multiple times but I stuck through it.

Keep working on the run time but be sure you work hard to get 20 pull-ups for the win....