• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer

GoPats2014

Also curious how this turned out. I was extremely lucky to get an interservice transfer from AF to Navy to fly and have met some folks along a similar path that went Army. More than happy to discuss some options that I looked into if you decided to not go the redes route.

Absolutely, I would love to be an ALO or CRO for the AF. If I can't fly, then I'd love the opportunity to still serve and make a difference on the ground. Do you have any idea how that would be possible?

HuggyU2

None
I doubt the AF would have you start as an O-1.
Consider calling the AF Personnel Center at Randolph AFB. 800.525.0102.
It will be painful to find the right office when you call. I'd start with the Accessions Branch.
Or ask the operator to give you the number for Adriana Bazan. Not sure if she is still there, but she used to handle inter service transfers (IST). Granted, you're not an IST but she will probably know where to direct you.

Switchstone

Just curious as to see how this turned out?

Also curious how this turned out. I was extremely lucky to get an interservice transfer from AF to Navy to fly and have met some folks along a similar path that went Army. More than happy to discuss some options that I looked into if you decided to not go the redes route.

Sorry for such a delayed response, but after the POCR board results I headed to Europe and burned about 30 days of leave with just my shoes and a backpack with some change of clothes.

I ended up putting Crypto first, and got it. I was "forced" to rank my top 3 duty stations. Denver CO, Hawaii, or San Antonio. All 3 are fantastic places that I'd have no qualms being stuck at for a few years. Got orders to NIOC Hawaii after I finish up the training pipeline in February.

I've only touched the tip of the iceberg of what the information warfare community has to offer, but so far I'm loving it. I get a little nostalgic about what could have been when I hear the f18s flying into Oceana every day, but I'm a hell of a lot happier than I thought I would be.

It sucks not wearing a flight suit every day, but I consider myself lucky to have even put one on in the first place.

mareid2

pilot
Absolutely, I would love to be an ALO or CRO for the AF. If I can't fly, then I'd love the opportunity to still serve and make a difference on the ground. Do you have any idea how that would be possible?

Met a couple ALO folks who absolutely loved their job so you'd probably have a good time with that, but I'm not sure how the process of getting out and rejoining AF/Army work. I imagine your time in counts for something whether it's rank or just TIS. Coast Guard was an option I looked into originally and from how I interpreted that option: you will start over as an O-1 but keep your TIS and you'll have to go through their OCS/OTS program. You can put in for pilot during the training and if you get picked up, great, if not you'll do something else. You can then apply every year for a redes. Sounded like most of those that wanted to fly and kept putting their packages in ultimately would get it. Obviously not a guarantee, but it sounded promising.

KORhc

Sorry for such a delayed response, but after the POCR board results I headed to Europe and burned about 30 days of leave with just my shoes and a backpack with some change of clothes.

I ended up putting Crypto first, and got it. I was "forced" to rank my top 3 duty stations. Denver CO, Hawaii, or San Antonio. All 3 are fantastic places that I'd have no qualms being stuck at for a few years. Got orders to NIOC Hawaii after I finish up the training pipeline in February.

I've only touched the tip of the iceberg of what the information warfare community has to offer, but so far I'm loving it. I get a little nostalgic about what could have been when I hear the f18s flying into Oceana every day, but I'm a hell of a lot happier than I thought I would be.

It sucks not wearing a flight suit every day, but I consider myself lucky to have even put one on in the first place.
I'm in NIOC Hawaii now. DM me if you have any questions. Also was POCR board selected for 1810 after getting the NAMI WAMMY

GoPats2014

Thanks for the replys everyone. I listed Supply, Intel, and Crypto as my top 3. Already spoke to community managers and trying to get TAD set up. How long is the wait to hear back from the board?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Make sure you're 100% committed to any community you're applying to transfer in to. Being a SWO, SUPPO, or whatever else will most likely be the most difficult job you've ever had and you'll be working alongside people who had to fight tooth and nail to get there. I've met too many jaded aviation attrites (in multiple communities) who opted to transfer as the 'safer' course of action and are now just bitter that they're not living their dream while others are. This isn't fair to the Sailors they're supposed to be leading, who should have an engaged DIVO who is enthusiastic about their work.

I'm not necessarily saying this is you - I've also met aviation attrites who are now kick-ass SWOs, cryppies, etc. - but you'll save yourself, and your future Sailors, a lot of pain if you're honest with yourself now about what you really want.

There's an instruct at NSCS (Supply School) who redesignated from Aviation, he loves it, probably one of the best instructors too. "Neato Torpedo"