• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer

GoPats2014

I’m currently in primary for the Navy. I’ve been med down for the last 6 months due to a broken ankle I suffered in a car wreck. I’ve been notified I might be attrited due to time in training. I will be a JG in October and have little interest in going to a ship and will not be eligible for applying for spec war due to not having a warfare pin. I have reached out to the Army about a possible IST and wanted to ask if anyone has had any success in doing so or knowing anyone who has. Thank you

HuggyU2

None
If you want to fly as an officer, there are many threads on military aviation sites that would advise against going Army. I have no first hand knowledge, but the feeling seems to be prevalent.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not lobby to stay, heal, and finish where you are. Who is telling you you’re going to be attrited? What’s your prognosis for getting med up?

GoPats2014

I have reached out to the USAF as well, but was told they are not currently accepting IST’s for aviation... I would have to apply for a non-rated career and apply to UPT from there. Not that I am opposed to it by any means, but am just exploring options as that seems risky to me.

GoPats2014

I also went med down in Pensacola before API for 3 months due to an illness. So I’m sitting around 9 months total med down now, which will trigger a med board. I still have around 6-8 weeks left before I can get a waiver and get an upchit
Why not lobby to stay, heal, and finish where you are. Who is telling you you’re going to be attrited? What’s your prognosis for getting med up?

Switchstone

Keep fighting until you get something from BUMED (or whoever controls attrition due to time to train) saying your no longer fit for duty involving flying. I was recently NPQ'd a few flights before my instrument check, but it felt like the Navy was bending over backwards trying to find something that worked, anything to keep me in. My time to train was already a running joke in the STUCON office when my personal issues came to light (courtesy of Harvey, and forgetting to sacrifice a goat or a 6pack of Shiner to whatever deity controls the weather and aircraft maitenance around here). Even still, it wasn't until every option was exhausted that I was finally given the bad news. Dont be the first person to give up.

Edit: You also have a lot more avenues to explore, why jump straight to transfering to another branch? Worst case scenario, you get attrited. Unless I'm mistaken, you'd be sent to a POCR board, where you would have the option of trying to switch to another community (SWO, supply, intel, IP, crypto, HR, AMDO...).

Last edited:

GoPats2014

Keep fighting until you get something from BUMED (or whoever controls attrition due to time to train) saying your no longer fit for duty involving flying. I was recently NPQ'd a few flights before my instrument check, but it felt like the Navy was bending over backwards trying to find something that worked, anything to keep me in. My time to train was already a running joke in the STUCON office when my personal issues came to light (courtesy of Harvey, and forgetting to sacrifice a goat or a 6pack of Shiner to whatever deity controls the weather and aircraft maitenance around here). Even still, it wasn't until every option was exhausted that I was finally given the bad news. Dont be the first person to give up.

If I can ask, what did you ultimately decide to do?

Switchstone

If I can ask, what did you ultimately decide to do?

That's still something I'm trying to work out. I got the bad news mid-July, so I've had from then until late September (when the POCR board convenes) to rank my top 5 choices and submit my package. Part of me has no interest in being in the Navy if I can't fly, but I have no idea what I would do in the civilian world. I feel like its a lot safer to try and switch to supply or cryptologic warfare and hopefully learn to love it, than risk being unemployed. Plenty of people are happily serving this country with 2 feet stuck on the ground, and though its not what I originally envisioned, you gotta learn to play with the hand your dealt.

GoPats2014

I feel exactly the same, thus reaching out to another service to see if they would be interested in me if everything goes south. Sorry for the turn of events like that for you and best of luck

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Perseverance pays off in many cases. I understand your frustration.

The system does reward people who don’t make the process administratively easy - so keep up telling a positive story about yourself! Push the system to believe its in the Navy’s best interest to allow you to heal up and continue training. Don’t make it easy for them to redesignate you:) write letters. Document how awesome you’ve been in your training to date! Etc.

egiv

I feel like its a lot safer to try and switch to supply or cryptologic warfare and hopefully learn to love it, than risk being unemployed. Plenty of people are happily serving this country with 2 feet stuck on the ground, and though its not what I originally envisioned, you gotta learn to play with the hand your dealt.

Make sure you're 100% committed to any community you're applying to transfer in to. Being a SWO, SUPPO, or whatever else will most likely be the most difficult job you've ever had and you'll be working alongside people who had to fight tooth and nail to get there. I've met too many jaded aviation attrites (in multiple communities) who opted to transfer as the 'safer' course of action and are now just bitter that they're not living their dream while others are. This isn't fair to the Sailors they're supposed to be leading, who should have an engaged DIVO who is enthusiastic about their work.

I'm not necessarily saying this is you - I've also met aviation attrites who are now kick-ass SWOs, cryppies, etc. - but you'll save yourself, and your future Sailors, a lot of pain if you're honest with yourself now about what you really want.

mareid2

pilot
Also curious how this turned out. I was extremely lucky to get an interservice transfer from AF to Navy to fly and have met some folks along a similar path that went Army. More than happy to discuss some options that I looked into if you decided to not go the redes route.

GoPats2014

Update on the situation, I put on JG and my waiver did not come through. Going to the March POCR board as well now. For anyone who has been seperated from the Navy, how possible is it to go into the Air Force or Army? I am 100% okay with starting over as an 0-1 and I'd be fine with just being a regular officer for either branch. Is that even a possibility? Thanks