• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer USN to USMC at/after Flight School

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
What building is that office in?
NASC. If you walk onto the Quarterdeck from the front of the building turn right down the hallway and it's the office at the very end on the right. If you walk into a conference room you went too far, and you need to go back one door. The office has a couch in it and a tv to the right of that couch. If you miss it with that description you're blind.

Does anybody have any updated gouge on interservice transfers USN to USMC? I'm in A pool right now. I tried to talk to the Command Career Counselor but he said that it was impossible to do because I already have a commitment. But as I read my contract I only incur the commitment after winging. I believe that it is entirely possible to make a transfer right now, especially because the Navy is fat on SNAs. Who should I talk to?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't say SECNAVINST. And talking to the CCC will get you nowhere. Now go print out and read MILPERSMAN 1300-081. This will provide you with specific direction on what you need to do. You would have meet certain criteria for not only transferring out of the Navy, but into the Marine Corps as well. As such, make sure you look up the appropriate reference for transferring INTO the USMC. If you are able to pull off a transfer, be ready to go to TBS.

81montedriver

pilot
Does anybody have any updated gouge on interservice transfers USN to USMC? I'm in A pool right now. I tried to talk to the Command Career Counselor but he said that it was impossible to do because I already have a commitment. But as I read my contract I only incur the commitment after winging. I believe that it is entirely possible to make a transfer right now, especially because the Navy is fat on SNAs. Who should I talk to?

Just out of curiosity, since you are in A-pool, I'm assuming you haven't been in the Navy very long. Why didn't you just join the Marine Corps initially to begin with?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There was a guy I was in NROTC with......went to A-pool, got stuck during the Hurricane Ivan fallout as a stash ENS with the Blues while no Navy students were classing up at all. Apparently the Marines needed dudes, and could offer to get them into API immediately. I don't know the details specifically, but he ended up very soon thereafter as a 2nd Lt of Marines, went through flight school, finished the Hornet RAG, TBS, and then to the fleet. Is now a TOPGUN/N7 instructor. Strange route, but I guess proof that given the right circumstances, this could happen.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There was a guy I was in NROTC with......went to A-pool, got stuck during the Hurricane Ivan fallout as a stash ENS with the Blues while no Navy students were classing up at all. Apparently the Marines needed dudes, and could offer to get them into API immediately. I don't know the details specifically, but he ended up very soon thereafter as a 2nd Lt of Marines, went through flight school, finished the Hornet RAG, TBS, and then to the fleet. Is now a TOPGUN/N7 instructor. Strange route, but I guess proof that given the right circumstances, this could happen.
During that timeframe USMC was short aviators and was taking USN transfers. When I finished primary and was headed to the HTs, I thought long and hard about switching to USMC to fly Skids. Several folks that I was in the HTs with ended up transferring and flying for USMC; one guy is apparently at the 160th now on an exchange tour after a fleet tour in skids.

I know that it has happened in the past and I know that there are about 200 ish Ensigns waiting in A-pool. I think that the time might be right so we'll see. The Marine Corps may say absolutely not, however, I have learned that it's not the Marines that don't accept Ensigns it's the Navy that says hell no. And they may have good reason.

Just out of curiosity, since you are in A-pool, I'm assuming you haven't been in the Navy very long. Why didn't you just join the Marine Corps initially to begin with?

In response, I tried several times to get into the Marines, PLC and OCC, I even applied to a ground reserves spot to no avail. I just ran out of time. Both my wife and I have student loans and they were going into repayment. I was working construction and that wasn't going to cut it. Not a very good place to be with a 1000 dollar payment. I would have had to wait and try to get a higher ASTB score and try for aviation one more time and get an NFO contract. In the end I took my packet that the Marines put time and money into and gave it to the Navy officer recruiter. He was stunned that everything was done and squared away. We had to put everything on Navy letterhead of course. It was like 60 days from 1st conversation to OCS shipment. Probably the fastest OCS packet of all time. I needed a paycheck and flying Navy was a pretty damn good way to go.

I think that the Navy is fantastic, I'm just a better fit I think for the Marines. I could careless what I fly or even if I fly at all for that matter. I want to be a Marine. Call me crazy but I would even do Adjutant! Should an inter-service transfer not be feasible I will fly Navy with a glad heart and count my blessings. I am only looking one last time to see if I was a Marine in a former life.

81montedriver

pilot
I know that it has happened in the past and I know that there are about 200 ish Ensigns waiting in A-pool. I think that the time might be right so we'll see. The Marine Corps may say absolutely not, however, I have learned that it's not the Marines that don't accept Ensigns it's the Navy that says hell no. And they may have good reason.

In response, I tried several times to get into the Marines, PLC and OCC, I even applied to a ground reserves spot to no avail. I just ran out of time. Both my wife and I have student loans and they were going into repayment. I was working construction and that wasn't going to cut it. Not a very good place to be with a 1000 dollar payment. I would have had to wait and try to get a higher ASTB score and try for aviation one more time and get an NFO contract. In the end I took my packet that the Marines put time and money into and gave it to the Navy officer recruiter. He was stunned that everything was done and squared away. We had to put everything on Navy letterhead of course. It was like 60 days from 1st conversation to OCS shipment. Probably the fastest OCS packet of all time. I needed a paycheck and flying Navy was a pretty damn good way to go.

I think that the Navy is fantastic, I'm just a better fit I think for the Marines. I could careless what I fly or even if I fly at all for that matter. I want to be a Marine. Call me crazy but I would even do Adjutant! Should an inter-service transfer not be feasible I will fly Navy with a glad heart and count my blessings. I am only looking one last time to see if I was a Marine in a former life.

That makes sense. I don't mean to dissuade you from your decision by any means, just to shed light on the current state of the Marine Corps. Back in 06-07 when we were fighting both OIF and OEF the Corps plussed up to 202k in manpower. Well now that OIF is done and we are drawing down in OEF, the Commandant has instituted a drawdown to 174k. Officers and enlisted are getting out left and right whether voluntary or involuntary. Aviation bonuses are gone and for someone who was never sure about doing 20 years, I have less motivation to stay in once my commitment is done.

My point is, if there was ever a time to lat move, this would not be it. To the Marine Corps, they would not only have to fund you going through flight school, but through TBS as well. The juice may not be worth the squeeze for them.
It seems like this is something that really means a lot to you and your odds of failing are 100% if you never try. If your package does get granted just know it's because of the drawdown.

Best of luck to you!

That makes sense. I don't mean to dissuade you from your decision by any means, just to shed light on the current state of the Marine Corps. Back in 06-07 when we were fighting both OIF and OEF the Corps plussed up to 202k in manpower. Well now that OIF is done and we are drawing down in OEF, the Commandant has instituted a drawdown to 174k. Officers and enlisted are getting out left and right whether voluntary or involuntary. Aviation bonuses are gone and for someone who was never sure about doing 20 years, I have less motivation to stay in once my commitment is done.

My point is, if there was ever a time to lat move, this would not be it. To the Marine Corps, they would not only have to fund you going through flight school, but through TBS as well. The juice may not be worth the squeeze for them.
It seems like this is something that really means a lot to you and your odds of failing are 100% if you never try. If your package does get granted just know it's because of the drawdown.

Best of luck to you!

My thoughts exactly, as far as 100% failing if you never try. Everybody says that I am crazy, I might just have to listen up this time. The Navy is great and maybe when I finish up my commitment I can transfer to the Marine reserves from Navy reserves. It might be better and easier that way.