• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer USN to USMC at/after Flight School

spankey

So im in the process of putting in paper for a return to Active Duty (Navy) from IRR, and redesignation to SNA 1390. I am curious, at/after flight school, should I be so good as to make it through, is it possible to do an interservice transfer to Active USMC? I've tried doing an Interservice Transfer to MC and return to Active Duty already, prior to Flight School, but there is a MARADMIN on the street that prohibits interservice transfers from reserves of parent service to active of gaining service.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So im in the process of putting in paper for a return to Active Duty (Navy) from IRR, and redesignation to SNA 1390. I am curious, at/after flight school, should I be so good as to make it through, is it possible to do an interservice transfer to Active USMC? I've tried doing an Interservice Transfer to MC and return to Active Duty already, prior to Flight School, but there is a MARADMIN on the street that prohibits interservice transfers from reserves of parent service to active of gaining service.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Short answer is yes. But you're dealing with a very tricky beast since you're now in the Reserves, even if it is only the IRR. Have you considered trying to do an interservice transfer to the USMC reserve component. You may need to affiliate with a naval reserve unit first though. Keep in mind no matter how you make it happen, I don't see you getting out of TBS. Chances are you're gonna have to dig into the pubs for specifics.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think there is an easy answer because your mileage may vary. Marines aren't looking for more Naval Aviators for next year so that means they may not want an Interservice Transfer in the timeframe you are looking at trying to make the move. Are you talking about immediately after getting wings? If so, you ought to look at what the Navy says about that. They have to agree to let you go and if you snagged one of their quotas and got your wings (and a community selection), you will then owe them the payback of serving in the Navy so the powers that be may not be too pleased with you wanting to leave after they "sponsored" you all the way though flight school. Steve is also correct that if Marines will take you and Navy lets you go, then you'll likely be heading to Quantico for TBS (which is what you'll need to figure out your new service since you skipped OCS).

That said, over the past few decades, Naval Aviators have moved back and forth between the Navy and Marine Corps as their needs have changed and one service has a surplus and the other one doesn't have enough. Make sure you check for distinctions between transferring between the two Naval Services (under the Dept of Navy) vice two separate services. I know in my case, it was a bit easier because SECNAV approved on both loss and gain.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
7 months ago in the HT's they weren't allowing any Navy to Marine Corps transfers. I know a number of guys who tried. Reason given was that it wasn't so much the Marine Corps not taking them, rather the Navy not letting them go.

spankey

If I did an interservice transfer to the Marine reserves, from my current unit...Merchant Marine Reserves (of the Navy) what would be the likelyhood/process for getting picked up for Pilot out of the reserves, and moved to the Active Duty List? Obviously I'd need to go to TBS at some point, if I did it from the reserves, it would probably happen before I went to Flight School. I've got my private, and all 8's on the ASTB, for what its worth.

MARINE1

I am currently awaiting flight training in Pensacola and was wondering if it were possible to do an interservice transfer USN to USMC; and, if so, how to go about this?

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I'll be in Pensacola soon as a SNFO. I know that numbers in both services are being reduced, but is USMC taking anyone from USN in flight school at the moment. Has anybody tried recently who can maybe provide some insight? Thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'll be in Pensacola soon as a SNFO. I know that numbers in both services are being reduced, but is USMC taking anyone from USN in flight school at the moment. Has anybody tried recently who can maybe provide some insight? Thanks.

Lots of folks asked this when the Navy was cutting SNA spots. Short answer: No. You can always ask the LT CDR in charge of that once you get to NASC though. Stuff changes daily.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
7 months ago in the HT's they weren't allowing any Navy to Marine Corps transfers. I know a number of guys who tried. Reason given was that it wasn't so much the Marine Corps not taking them, rather the Navy not letting them go.

I was one of the guys that tried about 9-10 months ago and the above is correct. Marines were somewhat receptive, Navy was a resounding hell no. Supposedly BUPERS told the squadrons not to even send any more Navy to USMC packages because they would not be considered until after the 8 year flight commitment.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I've attempted multiple (3) times, and each time it was the Navy that said no. Helo pilots are in pretty high demand these days. Good luck with it though, it never hurts to ask (well, sometimes it does.)

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Yeah, I tried while I was an OC in NROTC, and it was the Navy who said no. My package never made it past NSTC to HQMC. But I figured if it goes through somewhat different people at NASC, maybe, just maybe, there's a shot. Thanks for the replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There was a guy I was in NROTC with who commissioned as a Navy dude, and crossed over to the green side prior to API, flying Hornets at Beaufort now. Not AFTER flight school, but I'd say there is always someone......there are some folks with really unusual backgrounds out there.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
While I wasn in API they were aksing Navy folks if they wanted to switch. One day they were in khakis and the next day they were in Charlies. By the time I checked into Primary the Navy had changed their minds. I had the full support of my squadron and the Marine Corps, but the Navy powers that be said no. Its definitely a timing thing.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Lots of folks asked this when the Navy was cutting SNA spots. Short answer: No. You can always ask the LT CDR in charge of that once you get to NASC though. Stuff changes daily.

LCDR isn't in charge of that any longer.

Just go down to the redes office and ask.