• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer AF to USN

zper525

Does anybody have info or come across anybody who has completed a interservice transfer (active to active)? Currently a O-2 (DOR May 28 2017) stationed at Hanscom AFB working as a program manager. I have a commitment till 2020. Some of the AFIs and other docs allude to transfers being accepted under the condition that it is in the best interest of national security. I'm looking to join the SEAL community. I've talked to local Navy recruiters on the subject and my local personnel flight here at Hanscom. The guidance I'm receiving is that I would first have to put in a packed to NSW with medical, PST, and letters of recommendation, if the Navy says they want me then I would start the separation process within the Air Force. Looking for POCs within the east cost SEAL community who may be able to streamline paperwork if they find me to be a good recruit. I understand this is a rare and lengthy process, most likely needing SECAF approval, just looking to see if anybody has heard of anything similar.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Does anybody have info or come across anybody who has completed a interservice transfer (active to active)? Currently a O-2 (DOR May 28 2017) stationed at Hanscom AFB working as a program manager. I have a commitment till 2020. Some of the AFIs and other docs allude to transfers being accepted under the condition that it is in the best interest of national security. I'm looking to join the SEAL community. I've talked to local Navy recruiters on the subject and my local personnel flight here at Hanscom. The guidance I'm receiving is that I would first have to put in a packed to NSW with medical, PST, and letters of recommendation, if the Navy says they want me then I would start the separation process within the Air Force. Looking for POCs within the east cost SEAL community who may be able to streamline paperwork if they find me to be a good recruit. I understand this is a rare and lengthy process, most likely needing SECAF approval, just looking to see if anybody has heard of anything similar.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...stricted/nsw/pages/inter-servicetransfer.aspx

Everything you need is right there. I used to work at a recruiting district that had a big army and USAF base and roughy got 1-2 calls a week from officers wanting to go navy. I never heard anything back from them. There's nothing we could do other them direct them to the link above. When talking to the community managers about ISTs, they said maybe 1 but more likely none will be approved. The seal and pilot communities aren't hurting and get their numbers internally (Navy OCS, USNA, NROTC) with no issues.

From the OCM in which I agree: if you wanted to go navy you should have considered when it came to commissioning programs (Academy, OTS/OCS or ROTC).

Last edited:

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...stricted/nsw/pages/inter-servicetransfer.aspx

Everything you need is right there. I used to work at a recruiting district that had a big army and USAF base and roughy got 1-2 calls a week from officers wanting to go navy. I never heard anything back from them. There's nothing we could do other them direct them to the link above. When talking to the community managers about ISTs, they said maybe 1 but more likely none will be approved. The seal and pilot communities aren't hurting and get their numbers internally (Navy OCS, USNA, NROTC) with no issues.

From the OCM in which I agree: if you wanted to go navy you should have considered when it came to commissioning programs (Academy, OTS/OCS or ROTC).

Because we all make our best decisions when we're 21/22? Seems like a ridiculous statement to me.

mareid2

pilot

I made the transfer not too long ago, different community but should be similar process. You do need SECAF approval for a conditional release before Navy approval and it's a long drawn out process with lots of paperwork but it's relatively straightforward. Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions you have.

exNavyOffRec

Because we all make our best decisions when we're 21/22? Seems like a ridiculous statement to me.

I would agree, unfortunately sometimes choices we make impact the rest of our lives, maybe it wouldn't if the services were so rigid on the career progression.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Dude...I feel ya. Hanscom...I thought only civilians worked there. Oh well, they do have a really nice P-40 on a stick.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I made the transfer not too long ago, different community but should be similar process. You do need SECAF approval for a conditional release before Navy approval and it's a long drawn out process with lots of paperwork but it's relatively straightforward. Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions you have.

Yeah, but you were already a winged guy when you put in for an IST, right? The OP not having a directly-transferable designator will make it more of an uphill climb.

HuggyU2

None
... maybe it wouldn't if the Navy wasn't so rigid on the career progression.

Fixed it.

I know a number of inter-service transfers (IST) from Navy/Marines to AF that have done quite well, to include squadron command. One would have been selected for O-6, but retired do to needs of the family. Another was selected for O-6 last year (though he declined, and retired). Granted, the IST process isn't painless... but the AF has gone out of its way (relatively) to accommodate high-quality officers that desire to change Services.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a number of inter-service transfers (IST) from Navy/Marines to AF that have done quite well, to include squadron command. One would have been selected for O-6, but retired do to needs of the family. Another was selected for O-6 last year (though he declined, and retired). Granted, the IST process isn't painless... but the AF has gone out of its way (relatively) to accommodate high-quality officers that desire to change Services.

Is all that just the U-2 community or the USAF as a whole? I know a few folks who made the transition in the reserves or Guard and have many have done quite well but those are different animals like the U-2 than big blue as a whole.

mareid2

pilot
Yeah, but you were already a winged guy when you put in for an IST, right? The OP not having a directly-transferable designator will make it more of an uphill climb.

I was actually in logistics prior to the move so I didnt have any aviation training to offer with the exception of a few college classes. There is hope!

zper525

Dude...I feel ya. Hanscom...I thought only civilians worked there. Oh well, they do have a really nice P-40 on a stick.
Hanscom isn't the best place to start off as a CCO if you're looking for the military experience. It's pretty much a business park/retirement community.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was actually in logistics prior to the move so I didnt have any aviation training to offer with the exception of a few college classes. There is hope!

Yeah? Cool beans. I have to say, in my experience the Navy is the most hostile of all the services to ISTs. Or unwelcoming, at least. I've known a few guys who came into the Reserves from other services, but AC to AC, I've only known one, and that guy literally married into the company (joint billet at the weapons school, went native and married one of the Navy instructors).

HuggyU2

None
Is all that just the U-2 community or the USAF as a whole? I know a few folks who made the transition in the reserves or Guard and have many have done quite well but those are different animals like the U-2 than big blue as a whole.
That's a good question, Flash.
Since I was very close to the IST process for the U-2, I did speak regularly to AFPC (equivalent to BUPERS), and know of aircrew going to other aircraft types. Granted, my knowledge of this is limited... but based on what I was privy to, USAF was receptive outside of the U-2. There was even a very strong push a few years back for the "green to blue" program to entice Army Blackhawk pilots to come over.