• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intelligence community

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

I wish this had been the case with me. I tend to perform better when I have someone yelling at me, or running with me to give me that natural sense of competition. When I did my PRT I was on a track by myself.

quote:
It's a dirt track which is often times crowded with Marine recruits. Be prepared to do your run surrounded by screaming Marines! I found it quite disturbing...

quote:
I did my PRT at the track on MCRD.

jrklr

Sara:
I just finished my first year of college so unfortunately I have only taken pre-req type of classes where I don't get too familiar with my professors, much less have them vouch for my character. Oh well, I have a few other individuals in mind and I'm not going to sweat this one too much. I'm going to school up on the central coast so my recruiting station is actually in Santa Barbara, I'm just home in SD for the summer (what's left of it). By the way, what's going on this Saturday at the ASW base? Thanks for the info.

quote:

Jrklr,
Yes I know the head of department at SPAWAR personally; he's my boss. I also know the other people who wrote recommendations for me as well. I worked with the LCDR and the Capt has been a family friend for years. All three know me very well and were able to vouch for my leadership skills, ethical skills, dedication, personality, etc... Goliath112 is right when he says that you should have people who can personally vouch for you. Do you have any professors that you know fairly well? Which recruiting office are you going through? Are you going through the one on the ASW base?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How come everyone is so hell bent on OCS? That's merely one way to get in...especially if you still have 3 more years of college.

Jrklr: Have you looked at college program or a two year ROTC scholarship? That might be another option.

JayManC

im gonna have to side with gatordev on this one, the reason im committed on OCS and BDCP in general is the fact that I have too much debt accrued to live on the $300 stipend that the navy would give me as a ROTC puke. Not to mention I'm growing more and more tired of competing interest between work and school (both full time). Had I the time, the two-year ROTC option would have been great, they fly you up to Rhode Island for the summer, send you through what is essentially fork and knife school, you get to be indoctrinated into the establishment to catch you up with your fellow classmates, all in all it's a good deal, and if you can get them to pick up tuition that's the icing on the cake.
JRKLR, if i were you, I'd look around your campus to see if perhaps ROTC is the way to go. While I'm excited at the prospect of OCS, in no way do I think it'll be a picnic. not to mention, that you could potentially save yourself 13-15 weeks between graduation and your community school.

"That's my two-cents....I could be wrong"

<insert something witty here:>

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Good to hear all these Californians are interested in the military. I'm from Dana Point myself. I'll expect at least one of you to drink a beer with me the next time in San Dog. All except you Sara, you get soda. Geez, what a bambino! By the way Sara, if you would like, I have a friend over in Scripps Ranch who is a former H-60 pilot and was a UH-1 instructor at the Marine Cobra/Huey RAG on Pendleton. She just got out last year. She may be able to enlighten you on life as a female in aviator. She is also close friends with Sarah Deal, the first female Marine aviator who also lives in San Dog and is currently stationed on North Island. These women paved the way for people like you. You may just find some benefit. I'm pretty proud of Karen, the H-60 pilot, I personally commissioned her as an Ensign about.....forget it, I don't want to think that far back. Let me know. Send me a personal email if you are interested.
Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

SaraCoffman

Frumby,

Why do I only get a soda? I'm old enough to enjoy adult beverages! Thanks for the information; I'll e-mail you.

jrklr

NROTC was my first choice, but unfortunately it's not offered at my school and I'm not up for changing schools. Also, the main reason I'm so interested in the OCS/BDCP route is because it guarantees a slot in your community before commitement obligations, plus I would like to use that BDCP money to obtain a ppl in the future. OCS would definitely be the challenge of my lifetime and I hope to someday get there.
Frumby:
Glad to here that your hometown is SD. I wasn't aware the first female Marine aviatior is also here, pretty interesting. My mom lives in the Scripps ranch area as well, it's quite nice watching the F-18's out of MCAS miramar from her balcony.

JayManC

jrklr, one more note to add, BDCP won't take you, nor do i think you can apply for OCS until your junior year. I know that there are exceptions based on the degree program you're pursuing, but primarily unless you're doing some sort of engineering degree, i'm almost postive that you would have to wait till you're two years out.

Reason I'm saying that is that it was the driving force during my first two years.

JayManC

jrklr, one more note to add, BDCP won't take you, nor do i think you can apply for OCS until your junior year. I know that there are exceptions based on the degree program you're pursuing, but primarily unless you're doing some sort of engineering degree, i'm almost postive that you would have to wait till you're two years out.

Reason I'm saying that is that it was the driving force during my first two years.

psrogers

Intel Officer
As for the applying for intelligence....
I really want to be a fighter pilot but because my eyes suck and my pupils are apparently too large for eye surgery, I am thinking intel too. Actually, I love intelligence and strategic planning so I think that will be awesome as well.
My recruiter up here in Seattle said that I wouldn't have any trouble getting picked up by intel, so I encourage you to apply for it as well. I guess I did really well on the NASTB, and have solid grades, but if you're just starting college then your destiny is certainly in your own hands, and the keys to the doors ahead are all on the table...you just have to work. Of course, I haven't submitted my package so I'm not concretely sure of what I am saying...but my recruiters (2) said...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
NROTC was my first choice, but unfortunately it's not offered at my school and I'm not up for changing schools. Also, the main reason I'm so interested in the OCS/BDCP route is because it guarantees a slot in your community before commitement obligations, plus I would like to use that BDCP money to obtain a ppl in the future. OCS would definitely be the challenge of my lifetime and I hope to someday get there.

Fair enought. I'm really not up to speed on what BDCP is, so disregard my ramblings as you see fit... One other thing about NROTC is that if you go College program (ie, not scholarship) you are still eligable for GI Bill, which...is now allowed for use in obtaining your airmen's ticket. I know it's a moot point for you, but FYI. I figured that whichever school had the ROTC unit, you'd be at the other one. The world just seems to work that way .

bisouss69

I am applying to OCS right now. I am enlisted for 3 years so far and I am an Electronics Technician, have my degree in political science and french, study abroad at the Sorbonne in France for a year, fluent in French, was an import inspector for US Customs - internship, have a lot of community service and V.P. of a few clubs in college. What are my chances for intel? I am also putting in for crypto and supply. I was in charge of my units supply/budget for a year (over 700K). Anyone know if intel is closed out?

eaw75

bisouss69,

the last I heard, civilian slots for crypto and intel were close to closing out and that was a while ago. my recruiter said this may be different for priors. my advice is to send in your application ASAP. good luck!

Dave Shutter

I know beans about Intel, but from working entirely too long in recruiters offices I have to say that your best bet in any competetive year is always putting down 3 choices. Remember, the board has their pick of the liter and someone who's app says: "I'll join, but only if I get to do this!" isn't the best attitude compared to the hundreds of other applicants who want to just serve period. No matter your field, you're an Officer first, and as an applicant you should want to BE an Officer first. Lots of other people here have gotten picked with only one choice, but with selections lately I wouldn't reccomend it. Best of luck.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave,

Where are you now? Whats going on?

Go Gators!
paperbag_125.gif

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.