• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intelligence community

Status
Not open for further replies.

saladin

Hey there all,

I'm working on my application and trying to apply for the Intel community, though my recruiter seems to almost discourage it as the competitiveness to get in is high. He cited a 1 out of 10 statistic for applicants getting in. Now, I have read here that may be it is best to wait till after new fiscal year starts in October since more slots are coming open, so should I do that? Also, my other 2 options seem to be NFO or Supply, as SWO is closed. I'm afraid of applying and getting rejected from Intel but accepted to one of those 2, which I'm not as excited about. Any suggestions guys? Thanks. :)

Valion310

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

(sorry, a little Intel humor there ...)

Valion310 out-

Goliath112

hey man if you only want to do intel but not other jobs then just apply for one. But I would recommend putting 3 preferences down on the app. The logic being that getting in Navy OCS and becoming an officer would be your first priority. If you only want Intel then consider other services as well. Any special reason why you wnat Navy Intel?

have I got a long way to run...

saladin

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Goliath, Intel is what I feel the most comfortable with in terms of career as its the most interesting field that I see in the Navy. But! I was also interested in SWO but that is closed right now. NFO interests me to a good degree too, but not as much as the other two.

I'll likely put both NFO & Supply as my secondary choices.

SaraCoffman

It is very competitive to get into the Intel community. I majored in International Security Conflict Resolution with honors; scored exceptionally high on the exams and PRT; and had letters of recommendations from a LCDR, Capt, and a head of a department at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (a Naval Command here in San Diego). Intel was my first choice, and aviation second. By the time my package was reviewed by the Intel board, the slots for the fiscal year were full so my package went onto aviation. So, now I'm slotted for aviation. If you really want Intel, wait to submit your package until Sep 30. Good luck.

saladin

Wow, your package has mine beat by a long shot. Nonetheless, I'll keep Intel as my primary choice. I planned on sending my package in towards late October or early November. Is that too late? I'm trying to ensure the best PRT scores as well.

jrklr

Hey Sarah:
Did you know this head of department at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center personally? I live in San Diego as well and I'm having trouble finding some recs for my app. and I was wondering if it's possible to get one from someone that I didn't actually know personally. Any information would be helpful.

Goliath112

hey jrklr. you don't have to get recs from upper echelon people. get some from professors, bosses, football coach, high school teachers, etc. soliciting recommedations from people who have no connection to you and therfore cannot vouch for you just is plain unethical. no offense to people who have sucessfully done that though......

have I got a long way to run...

SaraCoffman

Jrklr,
Yes I know the head of department at SPAWAR personally; he's my boss. I also know the other people who wrote recommendations for me as well. I worked with the LCDR and the Capt has been a family friend for years. All three know me very well and were able to vouch for my leadership skills, ethical skills, dedication, personality, etc... Goliath112 is right when he says that you should have people who can personally vouch for you. Do you have any professors that you know fairly well? Which recruiting office are you going through? Are you going through the one on the ASW base?

Saladin,
As for submitting your package in November, I suggest asking your recruiter for his recommendation. He should have a good idea of when the best time to submit is. Do you have a lot of extracurricular activities, or speak any foreign languages? Stuff like that looks really good on a package. Good luck.

quote:
Hey Sarah:
Did you know this head of department at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center personally? I live in San Diego as well and I'm having trouble finding some recs for my app. and I was wondering if it's possible to get one from someone that I didn't actually know personally. Any information would be helpful.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
For those of you in San Diego, where did they make you do your PRT? Is the running on a track or cement?

SaraCoffman

I did my PRT at the track on MCRD.

quote:
For those of you in San Diego, where did they make you do your PRT? Is the running on a track or cement?

ryan77

It's a dirt track which is often times crowded with Marine recruits. Be prepared to do your run surrounded by screaming Marines! I found it quite disturbing...

quote:
I did my PRT at the track on MCRD.

Status
Not open for further replies.