• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insurgents hack U.S. drones with $26 OTS software

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't the UAVs crash or get shot down far more than manned aircraft? If crypto is added, is it not just a matter of time before it gets compromised?

From what source are you deriving these assumptions (they're both wrong, BTW)? Without getting into detail, there are safeguards in place to protect any crypto on downed aircraft.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
This seems like an awfully marginal / weird way to go about that, though??

As a thought out beforehand plan yes, as a plan/reaction to counter something you found out quite a bit ago about and decided to use to your advantage? Perhaps. :D

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Would be an easy way to spread disinformation. Make the enemy think he's seeing what is being monitored and then observe his movements.

^This.
Disinformation is a great tool.:icon_tong

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't the UAVs crash or get shot down far more than manned aircraft?

While it is probably accurate it is a broad generalization, there are many different flavors of UAV's and we don't operate them like manned aircraft. If you look at the numbers most of the UAV's we fly are pretty small and cheap, it would take 100 of them to equal the price of an F/A-18. So what if we crash a few, the return on the investment is pretty damn good.

There are not as many of the bigger UAVs, like Predators and Global Hawks, that cost $10-50 million. While they may have a higher mishap rate than several manned aircraft they were deployed as developmental systems and are often operated in ways that we would not operate a manned aircraft, often with higher risks. The USAF was sometimes quite cavalier in operating Predators when they first started flying them, treating them as disposable assets. After they realized they weren't they haven't crashed as many, though they occasionally used a few as sacraficial lambs. Even if their mishap rate is still higher than manned aircraft (I am pretty certain it is, but pretty decent for the bigger ones) they provide us with some capabilities that manned aircraft don't have at a much better cost, and give the troops on the ground a much better chance at winning the fight. I don't see how that is a bad thing at all.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While it is probably accurate it is a broad generalization, there are many different flavors of UAV's and we don't operate them like manned aircraft. If you look at the numbers most of the UAV's we fly are pretty small and cheap, it would take 100 of them to equal the price of an F/A-18. So what if we crash a few, the return on the investment is pretty damn good.

There are not as many of the bigger UAVs, like Predators and Global Hawks, that cost $10-50 million. While they may have a higher mishap rate than several manned aircraft they were deployed as developmental systems and are often operated in ways that we would not operate a manned aircraft, often with higher risks. The USAF was sometimes quite cavalier in operating Predators when they first started flying them, treating them as disposable assets. After they realized they weren't they haven't crashed as many, though they occasionally used a few as sacraficial lambs. Even if their mishap rate is still higher than manned aircraft (I am pretty certain it is, but pretty decent for the bigger ones) they provide us with some capabilities that manned aircraft don't have at a much better cost, and give the troops on the ground a much better chance at winning the fight. I don't see how that is a bad thing at all.

Considering how many helos have crashed during the GWOT, I'll bet the UAV mishap rate looks pretty good. Either way, if the argument is "Don't put crypto gear on a UAV (trust me, it's already there) because it might crash & be compromised," it proceeds from a misunderstanding of how such things work.

Brett

Rg9

pilot
Just saw this on FoxNews. It seems that we're moving towards getting a little too reliant on high-speed technology. Proves the fact that we need to get back to basics - eyeballs actually in the cockpit with not-cheap, reliable, robust and mechanically redundant aircraft...enter...the mighty P-3 :smile_pur
There. Fixed it for ya. :icon_wink.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
We could probably invite the Taliban on to the CAOC floor and let them watch all of the US feeds real time, and it probably still wouldn't help their cause.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We could probably invite the Taliban on to the CAOC floor and let them watch all of the US feeds real time, and it probably still wouldn't help their cause.
Totally concur.

I have found that ppl that are on a watchfloor, and SHOULD know what they are seeing from a video feed are clueless without referencing a brief for that mission. And all these news articles think that "switching their Haji TV" for $26 to watching all these video feeds will make the Taliban understand what they are looking at... lol.... Yeah, good luck with that.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Considering how many helos have crashed during the GWOT, I'll bet the UAV mishap rate looks pretty good. Either way, if the argument is "Don't put crypto gear on a UAV (trust me, it's already there) because it might crash & be compromised," it proceeds from a misunderstanding of how such things work.

Brett
'Twas not an argument against, but a possible consideration.

This is the part where you ask, "What's the functional difference?"

Kycntryboy

pilot
Why would you say that? Job insecurity aside, they're an invaluable tool in the GWOT.

Brett

I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, and this is the writing on the wall. I see them as a invaluable collection tool for ES and possible even some EA, but I don't understand this constant need to have the roll be expanded into every arena possible (read F and A). Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done. My technical knowledge on the subject is a 2 or 3 out of 10, however I do understand the basic principles at work. So as always my head could be completely up my ass. :D