• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insurgents hack U.S. drones with $26 OTS software

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
'Twas not an argument against, but a possible consideration.

This is the part where you ask, "What's the functional difference?"

No, this is the part where I tell you that it's a stupid question...next caller.

@Kycntryboy: I don't think anyone is suggesting that UAVs will have a monopoly in the strike warfare arena - not in our lifetimes. This debate has been hashed out more times than I care to remember here, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm not worried about UAVs putting me out of a job. It's a good tool with known limitations that's not going to replace manned aircraft anytime soon (if ever).

Brett

Reactions: Rg9

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, and this is the writing on the wall. I see them as a invaluable collection tool for ES and possible even some EA, but I don't understand this constant need to have the roll be expanded into every arena possible (read F and A). Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done. My technical knowledge on the subject is a 2 or 3 out of 10, however I do understand the basic principles at work. So as always my head could be completely up my ass. :D

It was pushed because it made sense. With the unique capabilities that UAV's provide it was the next logical step in putting weapons on them. Why not just watch insurgents do stuff when you can watch them, then blow them up?

And it is not ES or even EA that is the biggest tool they use, FMV is the name of the game for most. And no, nobody here has to worry about their job, just like Brett said.