• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insurgents hack U.S. drones with $26 OTS software

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I wonder how they determined the video on insurgents' computers had been intercepted on the downlink, unless they already knew about this vulnerability. (EDIT: They did. Since Bosnia in 1995. WTF?) Seems like they must be different clips than the stuff on YouTube.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Well, the un-encrypted Reaper costs $10M to 12M each- so how much for the upgraded version WITH encryption?

Wasn't there someone here that said the AF is like the DMV- only with guns? I suppose that's not fair. In this day/age of budgetary constraints I could see the Navy negotiating on a product with similar features.

bob88899

Im wondering why they chose never to encrypt the video feed in the first place.... thats the actual inteligence and most important part.. (minus the actual controls of the UAV). :timebomb2

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Just saw this on FoxNews. It seems that we're moving towards getting a little too reliant on high-speed technology. Proves the fact that we need to get back to basics - eyeballs actually in the cockpit with cheap, reliable, robust and mechanically redundant aircraft...enter...the mighty Turbo-Weenie :smile_pur

Attachments

• VMFAT-101 T-34.jpg
    VMFAT-101 T-34.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 101

Kycntryboy

pilot
UAV's were supposed to be cheap and expendable, some are. However it's going to get to the point where we can not afford to lose a UAV with all the equiptment that we need to put in them. I just don't like the idea of putting a bunch of link systems into a aircraft that we can just "lose contact" with.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im wondering why they chose never to encrypt the video feed in the first place.... thats the actual inteligence and most important part.. (minus the actual controls of the UAV). :timebomb2
Would be an easy way to spread disinformation. Make the enemy think he's seeing what is being monitored and then observe his movements.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The short story is they weren't "hacked" - it was a broadcast-in-the-clear signal. The long story is where COTS and rapid deployment of systems (dunno if predator was spiral development or not, but I'm guessing they'll use a bolt-on crypto module too) are taking new weapons systems.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just saw this on FoxNews. It seems that we're moving towards getting a little too reliant on high-speed technology. Proves the fact that we need to get back to basics - eyeballs actually in the cockpit with cheap, reliable, robust and mechanically redundant aircraft.

I vote the mighty Turbo-Weenie :smile_pur

How about the AT-6?
http://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/military/at-6_ab/

SkywardET

Contrarian
Don't the UAVs crash or get shot down far more than manned aircraft? If crypto is added, is it not just a matter of time before it gets compromised?