• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Instrument rating

mo7stanley

USMC_Candidate said:
thats not entirely true (from what i've heard) i was about to sign up for civy flight school, but a Marine aviator advised me not to, he told me that when you are at flight school for the Marines, you need to forget everything about civy flight. This is just words passed down from someone who is an av-8b pilot, take it for what its worth.

"I have flown in just about everything, with all kinds of pilots in all parts of the world -- British, French, Pakistani, Iranian, Japanese, Chinese -- and there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between any of them except for one unchanging, certain fact: the best, most skillful pilot has the most experience."

— Chuck Yeager

USMCRugger

I could'nt believe I was up there alone!! The weather was great, I felt great, it just could'nt have been any better. My cfi said that not many student are willing to have their shirttail's cut anymore, but I was anxious to lose mine.

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
i still carry the tail that was cut from my shirt in my flight bag. big believer in pilot luck (it'll keep you alive until it kills you).

funny thing about trying to cram my instrument rating in before the break is that any sh!t there was to give about my other classes/finals has been almost completely reprioritized and reassigned to my checkride. OSO's gonna love this report card...

Dhc2tacksby

I've done 2 instrument rides.

First being the initial (obviously) and second was because it lapsed (needs to be renewed every two years in Canada, not sure about the FAR's req.)
Anyways, I was beacon inbound on my final of three approaches, when a Mooney landed gear up on an intersecting runway. This threw a giant wrench in my planned flight. (I knew the route flown before hand, and had practiced it many times over before the actual test) ATC first vectored me, then gave me a whacky hold clearance. I didn't really start to sweat until this portion of the test. Just as I'm about to enter the hold, ATC clears me for another approach. I fianlly got to finish the NDB approach, do a missed and return to my departure airport.
Point to the story? Not really sure. If it was my intial test, I would have probably done alot worse. Having a bit more expirience I was further ahead of the plane, and could think more clearly. Like someone said above, haveing more expirience never hurts, as long as you use it correctly.

Cheers

PS. I have a picture of the Mooney, and I'll post it here as soon as I can.

KBayDog

Dhc2tacksby said:
Point to the story? Not really sure.

Vinnie_barbarino_75-79.gif

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Kot-tair!

I think I may have found a point in your story:

SEMPER GUMBY!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
As far as instrument rating's are concerned, I have only one comment.

What do a penguin and Ted Kennedy have in common?

Both are cute and niether can fly...