• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Instrument Rating Prior to Primary

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Back to the initial discussion (sad, I know) - Two weeks can break you out if they're the right weeks. Case in point - it's very hard to break out in late stage fams and RIs because MIF is a 4. Making 4s on a maneuver or procedure one stage earlier can and will put you ahead of the average stud. Whether PPL/instrument ratings will do that is up to you.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So you really meant, "ahead of the program".

That's fine and all, but it depends heavily on the needs of the Navy, how the rest of your class does and how the last 100 jokers through the program did, too (NSS). I'm not at all saying there's no point in trying to excel...

That's alright...I will. Just when you think you are ahead of the program, they change it...or there is a (Insert least desired platform here) draft...or, or, or....Work hard, Do as well as you can and Uncle will tell you what you are going to fly.

In all seriousness, work your ass off when its time to work. Party your ass off when its time to party. If you can't tell the difference, $5000 for a cloud card isn't going to help. Comfort in the airplane will help you learn faster, but everything I needed to know, I learned in primary.

KBayDog

...everything I needed to know, I learned in primary.

Sounds like the prequel to this book:

0740768468.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Back to the initial discussion (sad, I know) - Two weeks can break you out if they're the right weeks. Case in point - it's very hard to break out in late stage fams and RIs because MIF is a 4. Making 4s on a maneuver or procedure one stage earlier can and will put you ahead of the average stud. Whether PPL/instrument ratings will do that is up to you.

To the OP: ^^ I think this is the point. The guys with prior time I saw seemed to get better grades when the standard was lower in early blocks of phases and sims. The average student starts off bad at stuff and gets better. The syllabus was designed to teach a rock like me to fly from no experience. By the end, everyone meets or exceeds the standards set forth by CNATRA. Some just do it earlier and their grades reflect it.

MasterBates

And those of us with prior time skipped a lot of the early flights.

And if all you have flown is a Cessna, the T-34, as much as we mock it here, is going to be a handful.

KBayDog

And if all you have flown is a Cessna, the T-34, as much as we mock it here, is going to be a handful.

Unless, of course, you're going to TW5.

OP: If you've really got half a stack of High Society burning a hole in your pocket, give it to me. I'll put it to good use.

In the mean time, be a sponge when you get to Primary, and spend some extra time in the sims flying your instrument flights before you do them for score. Once you get the basics of how the needles move, and how to interpret them, the rest is just repetition...and picking good food stops for out-and-ins. (And, most importantly, not sounding like a complete douchebag on the radio.)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Unless, of course, you're going to TW5.

OP: If you've really got half a stack of High Society burning a hole in your pocket, give it to me. I'll put it to good use.

In the mean time, be a sponge when you get to Primary, and spend some extra time in the sims flying your instrument flights before you do them for score. Once you get the basics of how the needles move, and how to interpret them, the rest is just repetition...and picking good food stops for out-and-ins. (And, most importantly, not sounding like a complete douchebag on the radio.)

This. If you have done enough planning then the flights should be a breeze. Nothing they throw at you in the sim should be a surprise. The only surprise I got in the sim was when my blue brains blew up on me. Those metal clips suck, change them out for the wire ones immediately. Also, have 3 clips in so when the metal ones do let loose your entire book doesn't go to shit. The only thing that saved my ass was having the instrument departure down cold going in.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sadly, sim time for profsits are not always available. The schedule was full up when I was going through RIs. What's that adage? Timing is everything?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Sadly, sim time for profsits are not always available. The schedule was full up when I was going through RIs. What's that adage? Timing is everything?

Well, the riot trainer can help as far as the whole sequencing and timing thing. I know that's how i got point to point and everything else figured out.

KBayDog

Of course, if you want to get an "Above" in Headwork, just tell the instructor, "Screw this airways/point-to-point/arcing nonsense. 'Approach, Navy XXX123 requests radar vectors to a PAR final, full stop.'"

You'll be at the bar, drinking that $5000 in no time. :)