• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Injuries effect on Pilot Programs

yarles87

Hello all,

I am currently in the midst of putting together my package for the Marine Corps OCS. I am applying under the air contract.

My question is, are there any injuries that will specifically prohibit me from the air contract. I have had two ACL replacements (arthroscopic) and just seperated my shoulder as well as partially tore the rotator cuff. I meet with the doctor thursday on how to proceed in terms of PT vs. surgery. If my package is accepted, will I be good to go, or will I face further scrutiny for the air contract? Also, would it be smarter to stay away from going under the knife again? Thanks

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Damn!
Have you been a 3-sport athlete (skydiving, BASE jumping and rugby) since birth or what?

phrogpilot73

Yep. I mix in some bullfighting when I have the time.
Your thick skin and humorous response indicates that at least you have the mindset for Naval Aviation.

I moved your thread to DOC's Corner, it's more appropriate there - and if anyone can answer, it's feddoc.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Hello all,

I am currently in the midst of putting together my package for the Marine Corps OCS. I am applying under the air contract.

My question is, are there any injuries that will specifically prohibit me from the air contract. I have had two ACL replacements (arthroscopic) and just seperated my shoulder as well as partially tore the rotator cuff. I meet with the doctor thursday on how to proceed in terms of PT vs. surgery. If my package is accepted, will I be good to go, or will I face further scrutiny for the air contract? Also, would it be smarter to stay away from going under the knife again? Thanks

The injuries and any follow on surgeries will not exclude you from being accepted.....IF.....you still have full range of motion and are symptom free. Do not categorically exclude surgery. Tell your doc of your plans; the two of you can work out what is best for you.

Bolter

pilot
The best way to avoid encountering problems with the flight doc is to have a very thin medical file. Just as loose lips sinks ships, loose lips also sink officer packages. But I would not lie, of course. I would NEVER lie to a military doctor :)

yarles87

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My doctor is a former Citadel guy so he might have a slightly better perspective of where I am coming from/what I am trying to achieve. I am confident in my ability to PT and heal to a full range of motion, I just hope the military doc's won't immediately shut me down with the assorted injuries.

I know some things may be better off "unsaid" to those Doc's, but I don't think I can get out of mentioning the knee. I may, however, be a little more vague on cetain points....

Feddoc, i'm assuming by the name you are a doctor? Could I PM you tommorow after my appointment to give you the official details, and possibly get a unofficial opinion? It would be a great help to me. Thanks

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Repeat after me: "Yes, sir, that happened, but I have no pain, no restriction of movement and it's never bothered me."

Use liberally for anything short of sudden, unexplained loss of a limb.

MasterBates

Repeat after me: "Yes, sir, that happened, but I have no pain, no restriction of movement and it's never bothered me."

Use liberally for anything short of sudden, unexplained loss of a limb.

Yep. Avoid the doc like the plauge unless you like being grounded for half your career. Learn from me. Say NOTHING to docs. And if someone says something to the doc for you (not counting "Hey Master is passed out and is sweating like a pig more than he normally does" or imminent death) you are allowed under the Naval Aviator code to kill them. Slowly.

Bolter

pilot
Just as an example, this is how a casual conversation with the doc can go terribly wrong.

Stud--"Hey doc, how's it going?"
Doc--"Good, my brother from another mother. Golly, your nose sounds stuffy."
Stud--"Yeah, I've had a bit of a head cold, but I'm fine to fly."
Doc--"That is what you think. You are going to blow your eardrums out. Here, take these pills and this med-down chit and see me next week."
Stud--"But doc, we are bouncing for the boat, and if I can't do my FCLPs then I won't get to go to the boat until December."
Doc--"Yeah, well, what if your ear drum blows out and you never get to go to boat. Or even worse, you may even bleed to death in the cockpit."

Just an example and a bit of an exaggeration of course, but I am sure that at some point many of us have had similar things happen. Unless you think that flying is going to risk you, your lead or the aircraft, SUCK IT UP!!!