• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Information Professional (IP) Discussion

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Good advice!

I definitely will try to not burn it up too hard although after discussions with my command and wife - the consensus was get it done with ASAP.

My timeline is looking like-
ODS - Q1 FY21
IPBC -Q3/Q4 FY21
IWBC - Q1 or Q2 FY22?

Who knows maybe some magical guidance will come out allowing SELRES to break up the IPBC and since its mil training it must be modular right? Either way I'll shut up and color.

The ROM on the back end depends on your employer fyi, mine being DoD - I would simply WFH for the 14-days. For other folks it might be 7-days or nothing at all.

Fun tidbit anyone who lives near a TDY location, you can drive using the B2B (bubble two bubble) restrictions and only need a 7-day ROM on either end. I'm driving from Jax to Norfolk (not fun but do-able) and my travel waiver has been approved each time.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I guess it all depends how much active Navy time you want, and how much leave time your civilian job can sacrifice.

IWBC was alright, it gave me an idea of what I would see after school. I wouldn't consider it essential unless you really need the time and exposure away from your day job.

I helped a reservist friend (also IP) through all his qualifications since I was at an IP heavy command. For my fellow reservist sisters and brothers, aim for the 20 week IP basic school and try to get done with your IPBQ before anything else. If you're near an active duty unity with a few IP's you can always reach to them for help. If you're near Yokosuka, Japan or Naples, Italy I can put you in contact with some shore-based IP officers that will help work you through your qualifications, give tours, and help mentor you. I have contacts with the reservists in those places too.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've never interacted with the acquisitions side directly. The closest I came was when I was in NAVWAR (formerly SPAWAR) Reserve Program and was going to work on my DAWIA certification.
I don't know how much interaction IP has with EDO, I've worked with program offices and acquisitions at NCTS Naples but nothing beyond basic admin type things. I know the IP community is connected with the Space Force because he have a space qual and we can do space acquisitions but I've never done it.

Most of the interaction between EDO and IP/IW seems to be at the NCTS/NCTAMS level as well as the space cadre bubbas out at Dulles. That being said, the space cadre are a special bunch who kind of do their own thing. Thanks for the replies. If our paths ever cross in the Fleet, I'll buy y'all a beer or two.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@AllAmerican75 do you happen to know the status of COMMO billets on CRUDES being filled by 1820 (Active IP), 1825 (Reserve IP), and/or SWO-IP option officers?

I heard rumors that the Navy wants more "IPs on the seas" to give them crucial at-sea perspective that will be useful when building and integrating blue networks ashore.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
@AllAmerican75 do you happen to know the status of COMMO billets on CRUDES being filled by 1820 (Active IP), 1825 (Reserve IP), and/or SWO-IP option officers?

I heard rumors that the Navy wants more "IPs on the seas" to give them crucial at-sea perspective that will be useful when building and integrating blue networks ashore.

They were rolling that out while I was still on sea duty and I think it's the norm now. As far as I know, AD IP and IW types are getting sent to CRUDES and Gators for their first tours to fill billets as COMMO and IWO/SES managers. I'm not sure about Reservists, though. I have no doubt Big Navy would take Reservists in a heartbeat if they didn't have enough bodies.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
This is great news!

I personally want to get a sea mob under my belt as a JO. I wonder what sort of workup would be necessary though?

@william as a COMMO are you having to get any additional watch standing quals aside from JFTOC? I interact with SWOs now and know they're constantly under the gun to get quals knocked out.

@william as a COMMO are you having to get any additional watch standing quals aside from JFTOC? I interact with SWOs now and know they're constantly under the gun to get quals knocked out.

@surf3001x I had to get JFTOC while at the NCTS but also normal stuff like 3M DIVO and probably a couple others I don't remember. For the ship I'll get some baseline stuff like OOD in port and probably CICWO at least. I haven't been on the ship long so I'll have to get back to you after I have more experience.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
@surf3001x I had to get JFTOC while at the NCTS but also normal stuff like 3M DIVO and probably a couple others I don't remember. For the ship I'll get some baseline stuff like OOD in port and probably CICWO at least. I haven't been on the ship long so I'll have to get back to you after I have more experience.

Do you have an opportunity to get qualified OOD Underway or TAO? I'm sure the rest of the wardroom would love to have you help out with the watchbill.

Do you have an opportunity to get qualified OOD Underway or TAO? I'm sure the rest of the wardroom would love to have you help out with the watchbill.
I'm sure they would be happy for the help but there are like 50 SWO ensigns running around that also need qualifying. I don't need to compete with all the baby ensigns for bridge time, they can have it.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Question for @snake020 @bubblehead or any other reservist who has taken the 20-week IPBC course recently.

Were you able to get per diem the entire trip or did they cut you over to active duty and expect your BAH to cover the expense?

I've got my quota for ODS (28 FEB) and am eyeing a September IPBC course. Although I won't have an issue getting time away from work paying my mortgage and usual bills plus another "X" amount for lodging in VA as an Ensign will be annoying. I do get a differential since my GS position pays much more but of course things would be a lot easier if I cut everything through DTS and got that $96 a night and $55 a day.

I tried searching for this reservist specific gouge on the forums and didn't find anything recent if I mucked that up please let me know and I'll try again.

On a seperate note, some ODS gouge, I've heard from a few people that the 5-week course incorporates the 14-day rom, so you essentially CBT+PT for 2 weeks out of the Navy Lodge, then begin 3rd week of ODS and finish out.

snake020

Contributor
Question for @snake020 @bubblehead or any other reservist who has taken the 20-week IPBC course recently.

Were you able to get per diem the entire trip or did they cut you over to active duty and expect your BAH to cover the expense?

I've got my quota for ODS (28 FEB) and am eyeing a September IPBC course. Although I won't have an issue getting time away from work paying my mortgage and usual bills plus another "X" amount for lodging in VA as an Ensign will be annoying. I do get a differential since my GS position pays much more but of course things would be a lot easier if I cut everything through DTS and got that $96 a night and $55 a day.

I tried searching for this reservist specific gouge on the forums and didn't find anything recent if I mucked that up please let me know and I'll try again.

On a seperate note, some ODS gouge, I've heard from a few people that the 5-week course incorporates the 14-day rom, so you essentially CBT+PT for 2 weeks out of the Navy Lodge, then begin 3rd week of ODS and finish out.

I was exempted from IPBC. If you have a MS Teams account, send me your contact info in a private message and I'll invite you to the group that discusses questions like these for new DCOs.

Last I checked, SELRES IPs are not being required to attend IWBC and I haven't heard of a change to that.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I've never heard of any Reserve IWC officer (Intel, IP, etc.) attending IWBC.

IPBC IS A PCS MOVE... Plan accordingly as your entitlements are drastically lower than if you were on ADOS (formerly, ADSW) orders.