• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Information Professional (IP) Discussion

There are currently 12 pages of IWC forum topics but I don't see anything general for the IP community. I first found this site in 2016 when I was looking at joining the Navy and have since completed my first regular tour as an IP officer at NCTS Naples, Italy. I went through OCS in Rhode Island. If you have questions about OCS, the IW community (from an IP perspective), or about the life of a normal IP, please feel free to ask.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
There are currently 12 pages of IWC forum topics but I don't see anything general for the IP community. I first found this site in 2016 when I was looking at joining the Navy and have since completed my first regular tour as an IP officer at NCTS Naples, Italy. I went through OCS in Rhode Island. If you have questions about OCS, the IW community (from an IP perspective), or about the life of a normal IP, please feel free to ask.

First and foremost this is an aviation-centric forum. From there, if there are any IWC applicants a good chunk want to go Intel vice the other communities. It's not so much the information is outdated or there's no support, just don't think there's much of a demand for it.

snake020

Contributor
What's the life of an abnormal IP?

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Thank you for creating this thread, Sir. I am one of the rare few applying for the OCS-IP board (which got moved many times - 30mar2020 being the last update). I only applied to restricted IP route, not SWO-IP. I have heard scuttlebutt that applying in the civilian side will be a less competitive board compared to applying as a fleet applicant? The sad thing for my package was I do not have IT experience, closest experience I got was troubleshooting equipment that has networking-related issue. But I still have to coordinate with IT department to resolve the issue. I do have the undergrad degree, and some IT certs like Sec+, Net+ and A+. Do you think I will have a chance?

From what I saw on the other threads, all the other fleet applicants have at least the IT and CTN NECs and the experience. Hopefully, I can still cling on to that last spot. If not, I guess I have to re-apply as a civilian. One of my intent was to create that "application history" to the IP community which I hope will help me in the long run...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

I've got a question: How much do you guys interact with the acquisitions side of the house? I'm an EDO and am headed to a NAVWAR command soon and am scratching my head at how exactly the IP community interfaces with us EDOs who are doing most of the acquisitions and development work.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I've got a question: How much do you guys interact with the acquisitions side of the house? I'm an EDO and am headed to a NAVWAR command soon and am scratching my head at how exactly the IP community interfaces with us EDOs who are doing most of the acquisitions and development work.
I've never interacted with the acquisitions side directly. The closest I came was when I was in NAVWAR (formerly SPAWAR) Reserve Program and was going to work on my DAWIA certification.

I don't know how much interaction IP has with EDO, I've worked with program offices and acquisitions at NCTS Naples but nothing beyond basic admin type things. I know the IP community is connected with the Space Force because he have a space qual and we can do space acquisitions but I've never done it.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I don't know how much interaction IP has with EDO, I've worked with program offices and acquisitions at NCTS Naples but nothing beyond basic admin type things. I know the IP community is connected with the Space Force because he have a space qual and we can do space acquisitions but I've never done it.

Would you mind elaborating on how your PQS process panned out?

Was it primarily OCS followed by IPBC? Were you able to get your IPBQ and IQ worked out quickly? Seems like if you're high speed enough you can board for IQ early, but so far I've only had what seemed like a fairly outdated NKO course given to me.

I went through IP Basic school in Virginia Beach in 2017, I was in the 3rd class of the 20 week version. The command I went to first was NCTS Naples (formerly NCTAMS Naples, still has all the same mission of an NCTAMS but was reduced in manning), they required me to obtain the JFTOC Watch Officer qualification first. Since there is a lot of similar material between JFTOC and IPBQ I did both within the first year (I think within 8 months?). I did the IWO pin a few months later, I don't recall exactly when. Some time midway through the IPIQ they put out a new instruction that required me to be O-3 for 2 years before I could qualify so I stopped working on that. There's probably an NKO but I had to attend an in-person class for 20 weeks and it doesn't give you any qualifications at the end.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I went through IP Basic school in Virginia Beach in 2017, I was in the 3rd class of the 20 week version. The command I went to first was NCTS Naples (formerly NCTAMS Naples, still has all the same mission of an NCTAMS but was reduced in manning), they required me to obtain the JFTOC Watch Officer qualification first. Since there is a lot of similar material between JFTOC and IPBQ I did both within the first year (I think within 8 months?). I did the IWO pin a few months later, I don't recall exactly when. Some time midway through the IPIQ they put out a new instruction that required me to be O-3 for 2 years before I could qualify so I stopped working on that. There's probably an NKO but I had to attend an in-person class for 20 weeks and it doesn't give you any qualifications at the end.

First off - Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Finding up-to-date gouge has been pretty tough so far- especially with the recent ODS rollout etc. The last IP I spoke with only had to do 2-weeks of DCOIC and 2 weeks in Pensacola for his IPBC.

So I can expect at a minimum to aim to get my pipeline to resemble ODS --> IPBC --> IPBQ. Outside of any other quals my NOSC may want that should hold me over till I approach LT?

Were you approached about taking the IWC 2-week as well?

I'm in touch with a few of the other recent 1825 selects, I'll be sure to rope them into this thread! Thank you again!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Were you approached about taking the IWC 2-week as well?
IWBC (3 weeks) is not required for 18X5 officers at the moment, for a couple practical reasons:
  1. No quotas for reservists.
  2. Not mandatory for earning IWO pin.
  3. Due to the 36 month time limit to earn your designator PQS, newly commissioned 18X5 officers have to focus on their initial designator schooling (RNIOBC, IPBC, CWOBC, BOAT) first. Obviously, between ODS and their initial designator schoolhouse time, they are often pushing the limit on 36 months. The time limit for IWO (GC0 AQD) is, by contrast, 60 months. By the time they earn their designator PQS through a PQS board, though, they are probably past the introductory level curricula that is taught at IWBC. IWBC is really just a good intro level course for 18X0 officers coming out of OCS, ROTC, or USNA who have not yet started their designator specific training yet.
  4. Three weeks to an 18X0 is nothing. Three weeks to an 18X5 is their whole AT for the year. If they are already PQS qual'd by that point, most commands would rather "use" a LTJG to do production, rather than send them to an optional training.
I'm in touch with a few of the other recent 1825 selects, I'll be sure to rope them into this thread! Thank you again!
I'm curious how many (if any) were commissioned at O-2, now that it's an option.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
  1. Three weeks to an 18X0 is nothing. Three weeks to an 18X5 is their whole AT for the year. If they are already PQS qual'd by that point, most commands would rather "use" a LTJG to do production, rather than send them to an optional training.
I'm curious how many (if any) were commissioned at O-2, now that it's an option.

Good stuff thank you! My NOSC is all intel and they don't really know what to do with an IP at the moment - so they've mentioned sending me to IWBC. My priority being ODS then IPBC of course which as soon as my DoD ID is finally associated I'll have quotas for both.

Now if my current command (aka day job) is cool with it and my NOSC will fund it ill do a three week IWBC easily. Compared to an almost six month IPBC ... I think I can handle it.

I'm proud to say out of the eight selects, I was the only O-1! Everyone else O-2.

Speaking of which - is milConnect my only tool to see if the information "flowed" for my DoD ID? All you can do really is go to profile and see if you gained an extra tab. Currently I've got:

Personal, CIV

Can anyone confirm theirs is:

Personal, CIV, MIL (or would it be RES?)

I honestly have no clue.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Good stuff thank you! My NOSC is all intel and they don't really know what to do with an IP at the moment - so they've mentioned sending me to IWBC. My priority being ODS then IPBC of course which as soon as my DoD ID is finally associated I'll have quotas for both.

I mean if my current command is cool with it and my NOSC will fund it ill do a three week IWBC easily. Compared to an almost six month IPBC ... I think I can handle it.
If I were in your shoes, I would say something like "Sure I am absolutely open to doing IWBC after I finish my designator PQS board, which I have to get done within 36 months of commissioning."

Then, 3 years from now, you can re-approach that question and ask yourself (and your unit) if you really need it or not.

Keep in mind, you already have to do 5-week ODS (+2 week ROM if coronavirus is still around) as well as almost 6 months of IPBC (+2 week ROM if coronavirus is still around). It's a lot. Don't overcommit yourself too early. IWBC isn't mandatory yet.