• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Infantry

Lawman

None
So I can decide to go infantry at TBS, even though I have an air slot?

Haha...Ha.... havent you heard, Infantry is the only mans job in the Marine Corps. ;) Believe me you will hear Infantry talked up as the only job in the Marine Corps by all the staff at OCS. And then you will have guys in the platoon that buy it. Funny part about it is most of the staff at OCS is not from the Infantry. Out of my SI's and Platoon Sgt only one had ever done Infantry, the other two were admin. If its what you want, more power to you. Just research some of the stuff that happens to Infantry officers in the line of their career (like knee surgerys). Good luck at OCS.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
You can decide to drop your air contract and take your chances... if you drop your contract, you fall to the bottom of the stack. When you first arrive, they give you an opportunity to drop it without consequence. After that, good luck.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Even if you drop it early, you have to compete for an MOS with all the other ground contract Lts. Infantry is one of the more desireable. You might drop your air contract and go supply. It happens.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
^^ Or adjutant. Or motor-t. Think about it before you do it. I almost did (and would have got infantry it turned out), but you might want to let some of the kool-aid wear off before doing anything drastic.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah and dont forget that after 3 years as a Grunt you could be augmented to Adj, Supply etc etc etc.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
When you get to TBS, every ground contract will say they want infantry. By the end of TBS that number dwindles significantly.

Junior

pilot
When you get to TBS, every ground contract will say they want infantry. By the end of TBS that number dwindles significantly.

Took that long for your class? Most of mine decided against 0302 after the first FEX. Getting rained on sucks.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
We were a winter company and still had more guys that wanted 0302 than got it. Its very competitive and the slots are especially hard to come by during the Summer when the available positions are divided amongst the 3 warm-weather companies. Fox '06 had something like 50 slots for the 60+ wannabe grunts... The rest (for the most part) got arty. Still cool...

Junior

pilot
I was a summer company with great weather throughout. People were being forced to go infantry.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
That's rare. For all pre-TBS dudes here, nobody DECIDES on an MOS. They ASK for it, then are TOLD what they got. If in doubt about your flight contract, just remember: flight pay.

Raptor2216

I'm here with charlie co. right now and we had more spots than people wanted to fill. Charlie co. is responsible for filling an entire IOC class...or so we were told. All I know is, there were a lot more ground contracts that wanted to go air than there were air willing to give it up. Infact, I don't believe there were any air contracts who would want to do such a stupid thing...I know I sure didn't.

If infantry is your thing then thats good to go but give TBS a chance first and then decide how much you would want to go into the infantry. Giving up an air contract before fex II would be stupid in my opinion.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
there are a few threads about this but remember a pilot can go hang out with the grunts as a FAC and get to do all the grunt sh!t he wants but a grunt will never get to go play pilot for a while.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Query skidkid: do different aviation communities offer different chances of serving a FAC tour? For example, I heard that a higher percentage of skid pilots request FAC tours, but the squadron is limited on how many it can send, making them harder to get. Do tell.