• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Infantry Officer Course

USMC Philly

I was reading through the TBS website and I saw all the references to IOC. What is it all about? How long is it? Is it an infantry officers MOS school? Etc. Any insights would be much appreciated.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Make a mental note at the begining of TBS of all the SNA's that want to go to IOC before flight school, then compare that to the amount that want to go towards the end of TBS. It'll surprise you.

vvmountainvv

i was a pilot slot at TBS, my room mate got grunts. i would have done IOC had they given me the opportunity, but anyhow...

i did IFS after TBS so i saw my old room mate occasionally as he went through IOC. they try to keep a lot of what they do on the down low as they don't want the TBS Lt's to have much idea of what goes on at IOC. needless to say, it is pretty tough. lots of field time, lots of uncertainty as to "what are we doing next"...they try to impose a lot of fog and friction on the students as they go through from what i understand. it's 10 weeks long.

things i do know IOC does include mortar week where you do mortar shoots, you will do a live fire assault with live mortar support, lots of MCMAP, you will probably get pepper sprayed at some point (much worse than the gas chamber i hear) and most if not all classes get to go out to CAX at 29 palms. my buddy also got to do a threat weapon fam fire, at least the AK-47, maybe some other weapons. double E course, who knows what else.

phrogpilot73

Michael W said:
heard the first run was fill your sandbags and put them in your daypack, we're going on a 5 miles boots and utes run

That's not what I heard! I stuck around Quantico doing Leatherneck before I headed to P-Cola. My 3 roommates at the time were all going through IOC at the time. My good buddy was HORRIBLE at land nav. Had to redo indoc 3 times. It took us to sit down with him with our maps and figure out good starting points for any possible box he got... He turned into a great grunt, he was a phenomenal leader - just couldn't land nav for ****...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
You have to get OC sprayed at IOC? That is rough...

I thought about it long and hard...and I think I might rather get shot w/ a 9mm than sprayed with that stuff again.

The instructor that sprayed us put it into perspective that makes sense:

When people come out of the gas chamber, you will see them lean forward so that they don't get snot and mucous on their skivvy shirt.

When people get sprayed with OC...they don't give a damn about their skivvy shirt...or anything else for that matter.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
E5B said:
Make a mental note at the begining of TBS of all the SNA's that want to go to IOC before flight school, then compare that to the amount that want to go towards the end of TBS. It'll surprise you.

yeah, that's about right. I think the first night we stayed out at the range convinced me IOC would not win out over the beach in pensacola for my prefered post-TBS hang out spot. I think FEX I got the rest of our air contracts, except for a misguided few :icon_smil

Reactions: E5B

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The last I heard, they were denying IOC slots to international officers who had specifically come to the US for the TBS/IOC package. An Estonian naval infantry friend of mine wound up having to attend a USAF base security officer course instead. He was pretty pissed, but changed his mind a little bit after he found out he was going to be in charge of training the security battalions for his entire country.

Regardless, with the demands of Iraq, Afghanistan, and other requirements, it seems to me that they're hesitant to put non-infantry types through IOC. Of course, I've heard rumors of arty and tanker types having to attend IOC lately, too. Anyone heard anything about that?

usmc03

IOC facts

Most of this info is correct. I finished IOC roughly 1 year ago.

A primarily goal of IOC is definately developing the Lt's ability to lead in and unknown/chaotic/stressfull/etc environment. You apply much of the same stuff learned at TBS but under more difficult conditions. Much is unknown...and I will leave it unknown.

Second, you shoot a lot and learn particulars about infantry weapons/gear that TBS does not afford. This includes the infamous pepper spray, and it is as bad as anyone can make it out to be. I've since received it again in the fleet and it still sucks.

The package was 12 wks when I did it, including a trip to 29 Palms and the Mtn. Warfare Trng Center at Bridgeport, CA. I think it's still the same.

With that being said, IOC is a challenge....but an absolute blast to experience, complete, and have for your readiness as a leader in combat.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I tried to get into it after TBS. No dice. It was becasue they only have so many IOC slots, and right now they need those filled with 0302/intel types who actually rate the training.

And as for keeping tight lipped about it...maybe to other TBS guys, but they always were all too happy to give us a break down of the fun they had while I was doing IFS.