• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Individual Augmentee (IA) info & questions

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I was reading about this on another board and was wondering if anyone here has accepted a set of orders. What kind of options are out there for aviators? Just curious about personal experiences and jobs held.

Some folks have asked that I post this here, as some of you may need it.

I am sure some others may have stuff to add. I got lots of input from SB folks as well as some things I learned the hard way.

Observation:
Navy personnel are deploying to CENTCOM to fill Individual Augement (IA) billets.

Discussion:
As Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom continue more and more Navy personnel are being called up from both the reserve and active component to fill numerous billets in the CENTCOM AOR as Individual Augmentees (IA). This NLL submission is written with the intent to help those heading to fill IA billets make the transition easier by applying the lessons learned by their predecessors.
The first part of the deployment process is to attend 2 weeks of training and outfitting at a CONUS Replacement Center (CRC). IAs will be assigned to CRC at either FT Benning (Columbus, GA) or FT Bliss (El Paso, TX). Many of the items in the Lessons Learned pertain to that process.

Recommendation:
Disseminate the information contained in this submission as widely as possible to allow future IAs to better transition to CENTCOM deployments. This cannot be a one time submission, but the Navy Liaisons at both CRC FT Benning and CRC FT Bliss must be engaged to provide further information as new issues come to light.

Lessons Learned:

Orders

It is imperative you establish contact with your TDY gaining command and get a sponsor prior to leaving the states. Sponsors can provide key information such as actual weapon requirements (travel with weapon can be challenging in all respects); tailored gear requirements and billet and travel specifics. Sailors who have been stranded without gaining command contact information experienced significant delays getting to their destination. On two occasions, the gaining command was surprised to see Sailors show up. Navy gaining commands need to track their requirements and know when they have sailors inbound! This has recently been addressed and there is a NAVCENT Augmentation Coordination Element (NACE) office in Iraq. It is run by CDR Bill Pevey, (DSN 318-239-9577). The NACE provides Navy Individual Augmentee (IA) billet tracking, pay and personnel support (pay entitlements, PG 2 Updates, SGLI, Emergency Leave and travel assistance, relief processing) to IAs in Iraq. They also respond to emergent and recurrent needs of Sailors traveling to, stationed in or departing Iraq as a temporary duty station. They are not in operational or administrative chains-of-command while IAs TDY supporting joint and coalition forces but exist to help with Navy specific questions or issues.

Make about 40 copies of your orders. Everyone you see will want a copy of them.

Orders should include the following statements:

"Excess baggage authorized up to six (6) pieces" – CRC will issue you three full seabags worth of desert gear. On the plane you are allowed 2 plus carry-on (small personal bag (laptop case or purse) without the comment in your orders. This is strictly enforced.

“Commercial air and commercial lodging authorized" - this will give you options in case you get stranded trying to reach your destination in theater or CONUS.

"Intra-theater travel authorized as required" - this will give you options in case you get stranded trying to reach your destination in theater or CONUS.

If your orders are not to Iraq or Kuwait, i.e., Qatar, Bahrain, Afghanistan, etc., consider arranging travel through your parent command. CRC will get you to Kuwait, from there you will be on your own, and subject to Space A requirements, which could mean long delays in Kuwait.

Administration

The following web pages have a plethora of information about CRC and CENTCOM, make sure you read all the check-lists.

http://www.bliss.army.mil/LocalUnitLinks/360thCRC/default.htm

http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/MNFI/

http://www.infantry.army.mil/CRC/

Go to admin/PSD and update your page 2 and draft a new SGLI, then make 3 copies to take with you. You will need them for the legal part of the SRP. Recommend you leave copies with your next of kin as well.

Pay issues should be settled prior to departure. Commands sending Sailors to six month IA fills should be aware of travel claim requirements and process same as quickly as possible. Pay issues can be difficult to address once in theater.

Make sure you have a CAC card that will be good for the entire period of your TAD and then some.

Medical

Bring your medical and dental records as well as your shot record, if kept separately.

Recommend you make copies of your medical record because you will leave them at the CRC and go forward with a deployment folder. They will mail your records back to your command at the end of your deployment.

Go to your medical clinic and got your record scrubbed by the immunization clinic.

Immunizations should be priority during overseas screening process - have an International (yellow) Immunization Record filled out by medical - confirm prior to leaving medical that all shots are/have been logged. This will save a great deal of time at SRP (Soldier Readiness Processing).

Get your small pox shot before you get to CRC. Two weeks prior is optimal, so that you are healed before training begins.

If you take any medication, make sure you bring the prescription(s) and 180 days supply.

CRC

Bring your patience. CRC is a training command. All ranks from all services are lumped together as trainees. Full birds train with privates. The folks that run CRC do a bang up job and will work to get everyone ready to deploy. Don’t get hung up on rank structure, just do what you are told by the staff and show up on time for formation. Only O-6s E-9s didn’t have to stand in formation or march. However they completed all the events. During check-in ensure you have all CRC information (i.e. SOE for week's events, CRC rules, POC info, etc), this should be in your welcome packet.

Be prepared for Spartan living conditions. You will be in very old barracks that sleep four people to a room in standard barracks racks. The heat sometimes worked and sometimes the air conditioning worked, mostly when you did not want it to.

There is a small exchange (Troop Store) on the CRC compound that sells relevant items, including helmet liners (a must), laundry and toiletry items and a wide variety of geedunk. Alcohol is available at the Troop Store but cannot be consumed 24 hrs prior to weapons training or 8 hours prior to duty.

Transportation while at CRC is limited. Transport for official business in not difficult, but transport for liberty is limited. There is a contract shuttle service, but at times, they were difficult to schedule. Recommend having CRC Company staff provide direct assistance when trying to schedule this service.

Some of the CRC training you will get:
- First Aid
- NBC as well as fit testing for your issued gas mask.
- MEDEVAC Training
- Mobility Briefs (FP Level I, Safety, Legal (LOAC stuff),
Chaplin, Red Cross)
- Land Navigation
- Traffic Control Point Procedures
- Convoy Operations

You will have marksmanship training (they called it PMI) to teach you how to fire the weapon before you go to the range. The range was different from any range I have seen in the Navy. The Army used seven pop-up targets that are randomly exposed for any where from 3-5 seconds. It is scored on a 300 point system and you must score a 180 (marksman) to qualify. As a bonus, new Navy regulations on marksmanship allow this to serve as qualification for the Navy Pistol Marksmanship award. Make sure you keep your score sheet and work with the staff at NACE to get the service record entry completed.

If you finish CRC requirements on Thursday, and are scheduled to depart via CRC on Sunday, you can get a pass to travel home (if home is within a reasonable distance) at your own expense, with a Saturday return.

You will have to provide proof of travel arrangements. The Company CDR will handle on case-by-case basis.

Uniforms

You cannot get Navy rank or badges at either CRC. Buy Navy rank and warfare insignia (keep in mind that Army and Navy rank insignia differ in appearance) for four sets of DCUs and a field jacket; rank insignia for helmet cover and soft cover (Navy uniform regulations to not call for rank insignia on the sun hat or “boony.”); insignia for body armor vest. Plan for the expense of having them sewn on in town (approx $2.50 - $5.00 per uniform)

Wear utilities/wash khaki when you go to CRC. Once you get your gear issued, you will not wear them again.

Recommend buying a set of DCU and have them already to go (name, insignia and warfare pin), so you are not scrambling to get the ones issued ready before you go to the pistol range on Day 5.

Print off the applicable sections of the Navy Uniform Regulation that address the Camouflage Utility Uniform (Chapter 6, Section 6802). CRC will not sew on rank or warfare badges.

The Navy uniform requires the use of the USMC style 8-point cover, neither the CRC’s or Uniform shops carry that cover. The USAF also uses this cover and you may be able to buy one through their uniform system. If not, try commercial sources (Brigade Quartermasters carries them). The sun hat is authorized in theater if you do not want the 8-point, but it is nice to be distinguished as something other than Army.

Put your blood type on your boots and on your helmet.

Get out your dog-tags. You will want at least 3 sets – 1 for your neck, one tag for each boot and one set of spares. CRC will make you 2 sets if you do not have them.

Equipment

You will get issued a full TA-50 (Army talk which means list of stuff needed for all going to the CENTCOM theater) without any exceptions (that’s the Army way). You will get everything from tactical equipment to cold weather clothing to CBR equipment to tent poles. By the end of it all, you will have 3 seabags full of stuff that you will have to take with you. You may have to buddy up with an Army guy to help you put all the stuff together, because they do not teach you. You will wear your body armor, helmet, canteens and Load Bearing Equipment (LBE) during training, so you want to make sure it is set up correctly.

Some of the items you will be issued:
3 sea bags
4 sets of DCU’s
1 field jacket w/liner
2 pairs of desert boots
1 pair of extreme cold weather boots.
1 boony cover, 1 Patrol Cap (not authorized for Navy)
1 JLIST (CPO suit, mask and boots)
1 set of rain gear
1 set of Gortex
1 sleeping bag and pad
1 Alice pack
1 mosquito net w/poles
1 Kevlar vest w/ballistic plates
1 Kevlar helmet
1 pair of googles
1 Load Bearing Eqiupment (LBE)
1 Pistol belt w/holster
2 canteens
3 sets of poly-propylene long underwear
6 brown t-shirts
6 pair of socks
2 towels

All of this gear plus your own will weigh about 200 pounds, so think about what you bring, there are no valets in theater.

During equipment issue, look for Bellville desert boots; they are more comfortable (less break-in time) and sturdy. Avoid Wellco brand if possible. No matter what, MAKE SURE THE BOOTS FIT COMFORTABLY! Once you leave the Central Issue Facility (CIF) you are stuck with them, they will not trade you later, no exceptions.

Navy personnel will be issued an M9 (Baretta 9mm pistol) and a cleaning kit. Make sure you know how to clean and care for it.

Items to bring:

If you wear glasses bring 2 or 3 pairs. You'll be issued inserts for your gas mask. If you save the battle inserts from our MCU-2P, bring them (the Army only issues those types to their Rangers).

Bring checks and a credit card. THERE ARE NO ATMS in country. If you have a government travel card, bring it.

Pack your favorite coffee cup.

Toiletries: you're at the mercy of whatever the BX sells and how much of it they have. If you need something special, bring it and have plans in place to get more (ie care packages).

Non-white high-percale sheets for a twin mattress.

Bring a good lock-blade knife. You don’t need a K-Bar, but a good knife is very handy.

Bring your passport, both personal and official (if you have it).

Pack a light cotton robe and thick shower shoes. You will be walking through gravel and mud to get to the showers/head, up to 100 yards.

Bring a flash-light. Again, you will go on a minor expedition when you go to the head and there are no street lights.

Bring hand sanitizer. The little bottles are great because you can stick one in your cargo pockets. There are sinks to wash your hands after a head call, but the water here isn't fit to drink.

Bring wetwipes. For the same reason as hand sanitizer, the water is not potable and you will want something to clean up with.

There is bottled water for everything, including brushing your teeth.

Items to consider bringing:

Thorlo brand socks (black or green), expensive, but very comfortable.

Under Armour Heat Gear or Loose gear t-shirts in brown. They do keep you cooler, they do not fade or get stretched out of shape as easily as standard cotton t-shirts.

Helmet liner (available in BX or Troop Store at CRC)

Helmet band - name and blood type can be embroidered directly on band.

Specialized holster - if you are to carry a handgun; Depending on your mission, the military issue holster may not be the best design. Shoulder holsters and low-leg holsters are preferred by most in theater, unless deployed to the field. Most billets filled by USN personnel are not field positions and a shoulder holster works well. You are required to be armed at all times, except while engaged in PT (but it is recommended then as well), so get something that will be comfortable to wear all day.

A Digital camera, recommend an inexpensive one because of the dust.

A good pair of sunglasses. You only have one set of eyes, take care of them.

Wiley-X goggles with at least one spare clear and dark lens each.

Aviator summer gloves are best all-around protection for your hands-2 pr if you can get them.

Blackhawk "detachable" pistol lanyard.

DEPLOYING

If you travel to theater from CRC, you are restricted to the base during the 24 hours prior to departure.

You will be issued a M9 and carrying case at CRC. If you travel military air you will wear your weapon on the plane. If you fly commercial air into theater, it will have to be packed in one of your sea bags (marked with a red tag). Make sure you get the memo from CRC that authorizes you to carry your weapon on commercial aircraft.

Have something that stands out to identify your sea bags...they all look the same and there will be a hundreds of them. Recommend some bright ribbon or tag that can be seen at 200 feet.

For the flight, if you fly military, the passengers load all the bags. There is no ground crew to do it. Same goes for unloading in Kuwait. Then you haul your gear (all 200+ pounds) to a truck and load it. Then in camp, unload. This process repeats after you get your flight to your final destination. The reoccurring theme, you bring it, you pack it.

Once in Kuwait, you will be put up in a hangar converted to a berthing area. The lights stay on and there are no lockers. If you can’t sleep with the noise and lights, bring ear plugs and an eye mask.

From Kuwait, call your sponsor and let them know you are in theater. Call them again, if you can, when you get on a flight. Make sure you go as Space “R” (required) instead of Space “A” (available).

When you get to your destination, you may end up living in a tent for awhile if trailers are not available. They are hard floored with heat and air, usually 10 cots to a tent. No linen is provided (you will were issued an air mattress and sleeping bag.) Once in a trailer you will be in a 2 man room. It is small, but not as small as living on a ship, so Sailors will have it made. The trailers also have heat and air. The heads and showers are in other buildings, so you will have to plan accordingly, it can be a hike.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Centcom

I have orders in hand to CENTCOM for one year...EDD June 05, report June 05.

r/
G

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These billets are not generally for first tour guys. You're not going to be of much use to anyone unless you have some kind of operational experience. My old squadron wouldn't even send anyone to the CAOC TAD unless they had their level III.

Brett

VAmookie

its seems to me that 'THEY' would be trying to get IA's who are Marines waiting to class up for API. From TBS, I would imagine they've already got most of the skill that the army is trying to teach Navy IA's.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem with your idea is these augmentees are not going to ground pounder billets. You're missing the point. The 2 week training is just a very basic course to acclimate Sailors to Army and land based ops. The majority of IAs are going to fill billets requiring specific skills, or at the very least some operational experience (i.e. real world and joint ops experience). Read the article; the LCDR is a lawyer going to work with the Iraqi legal system.

While I appreciate the motivation all these guys waiting for API have, they don't bring anything to the table.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
At the same time, it's a heads up. My squadron just had a meeting with our head detailer. He showed us the new career path chart that has looked the same for 5 years. With the exception that over every shore tour option is a bracket labeled "IA". Yes, they will try to put you into a job where your skill set can be used, but guess what? I don't know many army billets that require a ship driver or controller. The do, however, need people to be on the ground. It's a wake up call to the entire navy. I just hope they implement ground training into boot camp/OCS so that the new guys can have some sort of idea as to what is expected. I wouldn't feel too comfortable in downtown Tikrit with my shnazzy 2 week course...

VAmookie

any thought on how recruiting/retention would change in the navy if they started "implementing ground training into boot camp/OCS"

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I think the retention side of things will be affected in current YG's already in. I have already talked to a bunch of dudes who are getting out because they don't want to get bit by the bullet. I can understand that. A lot of people say they aren't stepping up. All I know is, that if I wanted to be on the ground with a rifle, I would have joined the Marines. Instead I chose to fly. It seems counter productive to send a dude with absolutely no idea about what's going on and to put him/her in the mix. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goplay234 said:
I think the retention side of things will be affected in current YG's already in. I have already talked to a bunch of dudes who are getting out because they don't want to get bit by the bullet. I can understand that. A lot of people say they aren't stepping up. All I know is, that if I wanted to be on the ground with a rifle, I would have joined the Marines. Instead I chose to fly. It seems counter productive to send a dude with absolutely no idea about what's going on and to put him/her in the mix. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do...
It's not like these IA guys are going out to lead an infantry platoon on patrol. The vast majority of IA billets are for staff work within the green zone. Let's try to keep things in perspective here. I would suspect that the people who use this as a reason for getting out are just rationalizing a decision they had already made. Career track people aren't going to be fazed by a one year IA, and the rest are a lost cause.

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
The Army decided years ago to buy a bunch of toys and fancy gear to fight a cold war style conflict, and they did it at the expense of their people. Now, they are undermanned and can't hack the work load. Their retention sucks, and instead of having them fix their own problem the Navy and Marine Corps are stepping up to fill the gaps. In the end, it is going to hurt our retention in the sea services for years to come.

Pretty much everyone here has heard the saying "Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." I just wish that someone would have told the Army that when they came shopping for 40K bodies to fill their gaps.

I know there is a war on, I know that we all signed on the dotted line, but the IA deal stinks.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
In the end, it is going to hurt our retention in the sea services for years to come.

Interestingy enough, deployments to OIF and/or OEF have a positive intitial effect on USMC personnel retention. Someone from MCCDC in Quantico, in response to a question about op tempo and retention, told us that enlisted retention peaks after one deployment, and drops slightly after two. I don't think he had data for those who've been out three times. With officers, retention is directly related to number of days deployed. The more days in the sandbox, the more likely an officer is going to stay. Considering that this is going to be continuing for a while I am curious at what point we are going to start hemorraging people. I can't imagine that everyone wants to go over twice during a hitch for multiple enlistments.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand QOL issues impact retention, but all this talk of fair weather soldiering makes me want to vomit. Everyone is all gung ho to serve their country right up to the point when it becomes difficult and stops being fun. WTF?

Brett

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Tell that to my buddy who got sent to Afghanistan to "train" Afghan infantry...Oh yeah, flying the ball is really going to help him on this one.

boobcheese

To quote myself from a related thread

boobcheese said:
With all the active duty forces being over worked, over deployed, and generally spread too thin (even with the heavy augmentation from the reserves), the White House resits the notion of increasing troop levels. I may be horribly uninformed, but the motivation for this seems to be based on politics rather than a sustainable strategy to combat terrorism. I realize increasing troop levels now would have little effect for at least a couple of years but I think anyone with common sense could have forseen from the get go that the GWOT would require a large sustained effort. I think people have the right to be pissed about this and we all need to be asking why there isn't more being done to match troop levels to the demands being placed on the military.