• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In Need of OCS Partner in Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessspoilme

Hi everyone,
I am Navy prior service planning on heading to OCS the end of the year or early 2003. I am fun down to earth and determined in my goals. There are a lot of people here that are planing on going to OCS in the near future. I think that it would be a lot more fun to go with someone that you know that can cheer you up on those not so great days and help you study for things that you are having trouble with. People that are heading for flight would be great. I welcome contact from all. See you all in the fleet.

Sammy
[:x]

Women will force change unpon salty dogs for the good of the fleet.

tali264

Do you have an OCS date yet? From what I've been reading on here it takes a while... but I don't really know. My date is May 31st.

princessspoilme

No I do not have an OCS date. I am working on my study guides at the moment. I dont want to get turned down for any reason. At the moment The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I fear the math section. Everything else should go smoothly.
Sammy
:x

Women will force change unpon salty dogs for the good of the fleet.

princessspoilme

I think I have been very uninformed about this whole process. I guess I figured there was not much to it. All that was needed was too take the test score pretty good on it and I would be in heaven on my way. I never thought that so many people got turned down or were made to wait for months to find out if they were in or out. I do want to know if anyone used study guides and if they helped out at all.
Sammy

Women will force change upon salty dogs for the good of the fleet.

Goliath112

princess spoil me? and navybarbie?
icon_smile.gif
lol
but seriously, if you want more info princess then cruise the forum there are all sorts of information about getting in and test taking. it definetly is not easy to get into OCS right now though. Its even harder to get in with a pilot/NFO/INTEL slot. You have work pretty hard on it. Being prior helps, but that isn't a ticket in. I'm prior, along with about 15 other guys on this forum and we have to work just as hard as non-priors to get in.

man the wait is killing me

tali264

if you don't want to read all the stuff on the forum, go to search and type in something like "ASTB" There is a TON of stuff on here about it.

Goliath112

Btw about your bio section. I don't agree, a lot of people get degrees and go to school while there in. It definitely is not a myth. where were you stationed?

princessspoilme

Goliath dont get me wrong sure there are times and places when yes you can go to school without a problem like when out at sea on cruise. I was in a squadron and I am sorry but it kinda went like this airmen and single people are always the people that are going on det for sure. everyone else goes as needed. If you are always going here and there you are not going to pass a class that you are never at. so you lose your 25% that you paid and earn an F. But I know that in my command people were like crabs in a barrel and hated anyone trying to get ahead so they would shuffle your duty section or put you on watch more than others. there was always something. So I chose to get out and use my G.I. Bill and get it over with.

Sammy

Goliath112

crabs in a barrel lol. That gives me a cool visual. I guess that means the crabs are all trying to get out of the barrel and the ones on top get pulled down by the ones on the bottom. You're right there are definitely "those" types in the Navy. They think that people getting ahead is like "there getting over system, lets pull them down"
anyhow work hard on the application and turn it in. it takes time. you need specific things to apply. let us know if you need info on those things i.e, references, GPA, ATSB test scores, PRT scores, etc.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Sammy,

Good luck with the application process and all. If you're going through Ft. Sheridan, you shouldn't have too many problems. They did a good job with me, and they really leave it up to you to pace the application process. As for the ASTB Math section, just make sure you learn the basic tricks to the math problems (like working certain problems backwards). Those are in the study guides, and they help big time.

FYI I was accepted July 9 2002 and begin OCS on April 5 2003, and that seems to be one of the shorter time spans on the board. I first called Ft. Sheridan in early May, but took my time a bit for the application (you can get it done in under a month, just make sure your references don't take their time writing their letters). If you have any questions, feel free to contact me (email or AIM). Good luck!

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Sammy,
I agree with you as far as school being hard while in the service, but it all depends on your command. I was on an aircraft carrier and worked 18 hours a day while underway. There is no way you can take classes on that schedule. If you finished your degree while in probably means you had some skate assignments, but that is just my opinion!

Don't sweat the small stuff!

princessspoilme

Thanks Vic,
Finally someone else who works. I was on a carrier too and worked flight deck. I barely had time to eat let alone take classes. I had to bargain with people to cover my jet so I could take the ACT for go sake. Why do people think that every job in the navy is the same and that you work eight hours and you are done. I have friends that worked cat one that was right next to my shop and they couldnt tell you what it was like to even sleep in their rack except on sundays. The rest of the week they slept on the floors or standing watch or inside of the water breaks trying to fix leaks. I felt sorry at one point and helped them out because I was one of the few peolpe who could fit inside. Well Thanks everyone for the help and feel free to add anything else you feel will help me out.

Sammy

princessspoilme

Oh and someone asked about where in Chicago. Far southside near Indiana. Any people from chicago getting ready and need a workout buddy that wont flake out on you. Hit me up.

Sammy

Goliath112

quote "Finally someone else who works" hmm....

you were at the carrier your whole 4 years? ship's company? probably a squadron. I didn't say that alot of people finish their degrees on one tour or enlistment. I went in as a UNDES Airman. so if you can imagine, life sucks bad as one. But I passed up many opportunites to go to school and I screwed around instead. now I do feel that you can finish a degree in one or two enlistments. I know for a fact that Embry-Riddle offers Professional Aeronautics wholly thru online classes. (I was ignorant of this but, in reality I never asked) you don't have to attend a single class. Many other schools do this too. now i'll avoid mincing words with you on this matter further but the opportunities were there and it is no myth that you can go to school while in the Navy deployment or no deployment. btw T/A has gone to 100 percent as of OCT 02

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Unlike yourself, Goliath, I actually didn't have ANY opportunities while on the carrier. Yeah, REALLY!

Anyway, how about them "box luches?" You know what those are Goliath? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about princess. And yes those V-2 guys had even less time off then us Grapes in V-4.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.