• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Improving the three mile

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

pjxc415 -Damn man, youre crazy!!! More power to you... but that takes a long long long time to build up to that. Atleast safely... So what advice do you have to the intermediate runner? My last PFT was 20:36. I do the treadmill in less than 20, but I know thats bs sometimes. How can I knock off the 2 mins and 30 secs? Im at about 20-25 miles a week, and I have till the end of July for a final PFT.

Dustball

2nd LT
spr said:
Just a heads up but I think Potassium is what they use to stop the heart in lethal injections, be careful with it.

That's potassium chloride completly different chemical. It's like saying sodium pentathol (truth agent) and table salt are the same thing.

pjxc415

pilot
reapergm said:
pjxc415 -Damn man, youre crazy!!! More power to you... but that takes a long long long time to build up to that. Atleast safely... So what advice do you have to the intermediate runner? My last PFT was 20:36. I do the treadmill in less than 20, but I know thats bs sometimes. How can I knock off the 2 mins and 30 secs? Im at about 20-25 miles a week, and I have till the end of July for a final PFT.
reapergm,

Sounds like you're on track for a good time. You have over two months so just gradually increase your mileage (i'd say by 5 miles per week) until you get to about 40/week and incorporate 2-3 solid speed workouts per week. I also recommend slightly increasing the pace on your base runs (If you're doing about a 7:30 pace now bump it up to 7:20 or 7:15). These should be comfortable though, nothing crazy on the base runs. Hammer those speed workouts though. Just don't do anything too too strenuous, evade injury at all costs. Stretch plenty. If you want more personalized advice send me a detailed message of exactly what you're doing and I can recommend how to improve on that, if you don't that's fine too. Best of luck.

Pat

dvl_dog_2531_90

pjxc415 said:
I also recommend slightly increasing the pace on your base runs (If you're doing about a 7:30 pace now bump it up to 7:20 or 7:15). These should be comfortable though, nothing crazy on the base runs.

Pat,

I run around a 20:30 as well and do speedwork around 2x a month though I try to do it 1x a week (life gets in the way). Anyway, my ideal schedule is as follows:
Sunday 7 - 10 miles @ 9:00, Monday - Off, Tuesday 3-4 miles @ 8:30 - 9, Wednesday 4-5 miles @ 8:30 - 9, Thursday - track workout (10 x 400 or 6-8 x 800, etc), Friday 3-4 miles @ 8:30 - 9, Saturday - Off.

Based on your suggestion, should I up the intensity of my training runs? I had been subscribing to the principle that easy days should be easy, long days slow, and track days tough. Honestly, kicking my training runs up to even a 7:30 pace seems fast for me.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Maybe I am the only person that does not like to run up as much mileage as my car, I perfer to play basketball and other activities instead of running. But I know when it comes down to crunch time and competing against times, I know I'll break the six minute barrier on my miles.

tarheel

Hey towbubba...psst...your an idiot...if you don't think you can find any Navy guys that can PT to your standards :sleep_125 ...come find me...I'll PT you into the ground.

pjxc415

pilot
dvl dog,

Stick with your principle that easy days should be easy, that's what will keep you from getting injured. For you, it sounds like you could go a little faster on your training runs (maybe 10 to 15 sec/mile), just to make you a little more uncomfortable, although don't do it on your long day. Remember this must all feel natural, never try busting a nut on training runs, unless you're running with teammates or friends (my team tends to get out of control every once in a while). I highly recommend substituing one of your training days with a speed workout - maybe do speed workouts tue/fri instead of just thursday and then keep the rest of your training days the same. Start gradually increasing your mileage as well. When you tell me you do 3-4 on tuesday, do 4, same goes for the rest of the week. Increase your mileage anywhere from 3-5 per week, whatever feels comfortable to you. I strongly believe that many people have the misconception that running is supposed to be extremely hard and waste your body. So wrong. If you go too hard consistently your body will breakdown, ph levels get messed up, it takes a toll physiologically. The only days where you should be really tired after a run are your speed workout days, and maybe your long day. It sounds like you're doing good track workouts, although what kind of splits are you hitting? It might even be better to do a little less at a faster pace. Any other questions let me, I think you're on track for a good time as well, just need to pick up the mileage a bit and get a lil more speed in there. Best of luck.

Pat

reapergm

Pat - Thanks, Im going to hit you up with an email tommorrow or Thurs. I keep a running journal. Ive been feeling good lately, and its so nice out. I want to run more and more. Im just afraid of injury. I know I need to increase gradually. I got patellar tendonitis last year from overtraining. Ill send you the info. Thanks - Reaper

Agent00JP

I am just a Navy guy, but how many Marines have a 16:12 PR for the 5K? Heart rate training, intervals , etc all have their place in making you faster... but I find that the most often ignored aspect of runner's training is power. People think for long distance running you don't need it, but power is a component as well. You need to step back and look at your program's strengths and weaknesses. If you need power workouts, try running hill repeats and get in the weight room. Find a running/triathlon specific weight workout. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.